BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
876 Posts
Shane said:
No ones ever confused a coho for a spring before ::) I wonder how many hos will get killed accidentally?
I always think my springers are 30 pound coho :happy: I've always wondered why so many of my coho are black and have white meat :wallbash:

· Registered
1,539 Posts
The problem doesn't lie with the recreational fishermen catching a few fish. In the grand scheme of things, people with rods pull a tiny percentage of fish from that river... DFO needs to wake up and limit those seiners out raping the ocean. Oh yeah, and native fisheries. They keep buying back commercial licenses because the fleet is becoming more and more efficient...then turn around and give native fisheries more freedom to shopping-cart rape the rivers.

it's a sad state of affairs.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
arent there clowns every year fishing for chum with nets that bonk thompson steelhead all over the lower river while there is a closure. ::) :confused: In a section of one the eric carlisle books i have he says that between the commercial fisheries and indian nets every year 30-45% of the thompson stock is taken. pretty rediculous numbers, i'll get u the exact line and book soon

· Registered
707 Posts
Kryptonite said:
And people wonder where our fisherys have gone astray. Theres always someone looking for a loop hole to exploit our resources.
My comment is about how DFO does not care at all about sportfishing, for if they did they would not put in place a regulation of a bait ban that is mostly unenforceable without MOE backing it up with them putting a bait ban on the Fraser (might eliminate the sturgeon fishery for a time period though) and they would put in place a regulation requiring circle hooks with no offset so snagging would be eliminated. It has become quite clear that DFO supports or at least does not care about legal snagging with both this summer's sockeye study and the lack of going to a circle hook fishery when Thompson coho or other endangered species are moving through the system. Remember when they did a study on circle hooks? I don't remember the exact results but I think the coho did not die at any great rate from hooking mortality in that study, in fact I think it was less than 5% (not 100% sure though). The other part about regulations is in freshwater DFO can only tell you if you can fish, or retain or not fish for salmon. They do not make any sort of gear or total fishing closures as this is left to the Ministry of Environment to make. MoE does take recommendations from DFO into their decision making process but they don't always do it.
If DFO really truly does care about coho, ask them what they have done for habitat rebuilding in the South and North Thompson systems for these fish. I bet the same drought conditions are there now like they were 10+ years ago to cause this problem. Great way to manage salmon, use the religious method of "Hope and Pray" some survive the freshwater and saltwater environment to come back to spawn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.