BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was out in Nootka sound over the last 2 days. 6 salmon in total over 2 days for 6 boats fishing for average of 8 hours a day. Now, just so I'm clear, not 6 salmon for my boat, but for all 6 boats over the 2 days. Oh, and these were all guided boats. Anchovies, herring, hootchies, spoons, nothing was working. Visitors leaving as we arrived at the lodge experienced the same thing. We tried all the usual spots, including quite far out and a couple not so usual spots.

Apparently worse fishing in 15 years (that's the length of experience my guide had in that area)

If anyone's planning on going, I'd definitely check conditions before putting the money and time in going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was at Moutcha Bay for the weekend. Fished in the area around camel rocks as were 50 or so other boats. I saw no fish at all being landed by anyone.

I was at Tahsis Marina one afternoon when the charters came in. They had fish, but from what I gathered, they were all caught on the HWY which I learned later is about 6 to 8 miles offshore.

There was a boat in my camp who had caught fish but said it was slow, they were 3 miles offshore.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I just got back a bit North from Nootka in Kyuquot and yes.....it was pretty spotty. We did get fish but it wasn't fast and furious. We had some success about 5-6 miles out, but the biggest fish we brought in were out at the "edge" which is about 12 miles out. Anchovies fished DEEP in about 200-240' range.....approximately 260' of water.

The fish were definitely NOT feeding to aggresively as of all the hits we had only one hit hard and ran with the line. Pulled a 25lb spring up from 220' down and it hit the lure like a rockfish....just a few taps and I figured it was time to check the bait. I felt weight on the line and figured it had a smaller halibut as it was coming in pretty much as dead weight....a few head shakes; all of a sudden when it came to the surface about 40' from behind the boat it exploded and the fight was on.

I have only fished a few times on the WCVI and have always had the fishing hitting the bait more aggresively than a casual "chomp" at a passing anchovie.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All
Just got back on Sunday from Nootka and fishing was tough we managed to land three on Sunday morning but we had a couple of days slogging it out with most reports sounding the same on the radio a few fish taken here and there. We fished inside at Strange and Camel Rock as many as forty to fifty boats at any one time. A total of 17 fish were brought in by us in four boats and a few under 10lbs released in three days plus three hours Sunday morning. The largest weighed in just over 33lbs. Last year we brought in 44 springs in the same time. We put long days in, the bite when it came on only seemed to last about 1/2 hour. It did start to pick up on Saturday and Sunday. We also managed a few chickens 15-22 1/2 lbs
Heading back up next week.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.