BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from Telegraph Cove on Sunday. The Halibut fishing wasn't great, but we had limited time on the water. The weather prevented fishing some days, and we also had mechanical problems. I caught a couple Halibut. My son caught his first Halibut on his thirteenth birthday on Weds. They were all twenty to twenty five pounds. Two were caught at the backside of Malcolm, and one was caught at the southeast end of Hanson Island. All were caught with different offerings from spreader bars. Herring, Salmon\Squid combo, and a 8 inch Army Truck hoochie enticed the flaties. We really didn't try much Salmon fishing, but a few teeners and a twenty five pound Spring were landed by a couple of people I talked to. The campground, cabins and marina are relatively empty. It's a bit of a road trip, but a great place to stay and fish. The nice thing is you don't have to go 20 miles offshore for the Halibut. Just thought I'd report on the fishing, in case anyone was thinking of going halibut fishing on the island.

TheBigGuy

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were drifting, not anchored. I only recall seeing one boat anchored up on the backside of Malcolm. Everyone up there seems to fish on the drift. The backside of Malcolm where we were fishing is relatively snag free. I didn't lose any gear there, can't say the same about the other spots we tried though. Best of luck if your heading up that way.

TheBigGuy

·
Registered
78 Posts
I guide up out of Port Hardy, and I can honestly say the hali fishing up there is a million times better than out of McNeill. Just yesterday with some clients we caught 10 hali's between 15lbs and 40lbs (best eating) in under an hour. As soon as you hit bottom you had a bite within 3 seconds..literally. The tides were really moving but we just put the engine in reverse and got rid of that problem.

David
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, SerengetiGuide.

You may be completely on the money about the fishing in Pt.Hardy versus Telegraph Cove. However, the nice thing about the Telegraph cove area is that there are many Islands close by to fish behind out of the wind. The run back to harbour is not a long one if the wind does pick up. I have fished the islands surrounding Telegraph Cove in a boats as small as 14 feet. I don't think you'd want to venture too far outside Hardy bay in a boat that size. Not all fisherman own the large all weather boats that most guides own. Fishermen with smaller boats, may feel safer fishing in the Telegraph cove area. It's also nice to have your boat moored in a protected cove right beside where you are camping. I don't think Hardy has any camping and moorage in the same location anymore. That's just my opinion, I know the fishing in hardy is great.

Regards: TheBigGuy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats completely fair enough. However, even in the Deserters Group and the Buckle Group there is amazing fishing, which isn't too far away from Port Hardy, just across Goletas Channel. Either way, fishing is fishing...and ya gotta love it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Seawolf. Buckle Group is your best bet. We limited out on 10 halibut there in under an hour yesterday. The exact spot I am reluctant to tell you, as there are many spots you could try. But you are always welcome to take a one day charter with us and find those spots :) haha.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey mountain man,

Actually, pinnacles in terms of rocks aren't good for chicken hali's. Awesome for lings, but not the tasty halis. For the big ones its good, but we should try to leave these ones alone as they are the female breeders. You want to look for a sandy bank in around 300ft of water for the chickens. The big hali's (100lbs+) are in real deep water this time of the year, around 500ft+, but you will get the odd one in the shallows. Mainly the chickens in the 300ft. And yes, for the co-ordinates, you would have to take the charter and a sneak peek. This past week we limited out on hali's (10 of em) within 2 hrs, then went and limited out on Springs, mainly between 18 and 26lbs. The hali's are from 15lbs to 30lbs for the most part. But we caught a beauty 50lbser yesterday as well. Hope this helps out a bit, and anyone that is interested, we only have 2 spots left open in August, so snatch em up quick,

David
www.serengetifishingcharters.com
1-888-281-2275

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.