BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, my long-time fishing buddy Anthony and I headed out for our annual trip to &^^%%))&* Lake about 40 minutes North of Kamloops and 4100 feet elevation. We left at noon and were almost giddy in anticipation. This trip is always one where we have a great time fishing for sometimes plentiful, sometimes moody rainbow trout, in a place we know quite well. Aropund Langley, the rain started and we drove in steady a downpour all the way to Kamloops. The rain petered out a few kliks north of Kamloops and was gone by the time we arrived at our destination. We set up the trailer, unloaded the boat and were on the water by 5:30. We headed out to the nearest bay and fished it for about 3 hours. There were quite a few hook-ups and long-line releases happened before this little beauty came to the boat for a brief visit before returning to his momma.

As it turned out it was the only fish of the evening.

Next morning we headed out at 8:00 am. The weather looked good, overcast, but warm. We headed down to the far end of the lake to try our luck on the extensive shoals there. We anchored in about 7 feet of water on the edge of a drop off that went down to 22 feet. I cast out a #14 wonderbread chironomid and Anthony dropped in a black/silver sno-cone. On the second cast, brought in a nice 16 incher. When I pumped him, I found only 1 chironomid about 1 1/4" long and bright orange/amber, with a prominent gills at both ends and a black rib. The picture doesn't quite capture the colour. This would prove to be a saviour in the next couple of days at times when the fishing slowed.

On his next cast Anthony landed the first fish of his weekend.

Unfortunately, our early success meant that we stuck to chironomids quite a while after the time that they were working for us. We finally switched to mikaluk sedge patterns when we noticed quite a few travellers coming off in the shallows, and better yet, rainbows taking them in big splashy rises. With a brief break for lunch, we continued the day switching between chironomids and sedge patterns with quite a bit of success. We headed in around 8:00 pm feeling good about the day and the fishing.
We also shared part of our day with this little family group. (The camera is in digital zoom mode, so the quality isn't what I had hoped).

The next day, we started the day around 6:00 AM. The day was sunny and bright and stayed like that for the whole day. The wind picked up early in the day and never really let up, and this really effected the fishing strategy for us. 2 men, with fly rods and long leaders, in a 12' aluminum boat can prove tricky at times. 2 men, with fly rods and long leaders, in a 12' aluminum boat, with strong winds is definitely challenging. No one lost an eye, so all is good. Again, sedge patterns proved to be quite successful, with lulls in the action when we switched it up to dragons, damsels and chirinomids with limited success. After 5:00pm the fishing seemed to slow down a lot (for us anyway). We tried many locations around the lake, finally settling on some shoals at the entrance to a large bay. We knew the fish were cruising there as we could easily see them and sight fish for them, but no matter what we tried we couldn't entice any of these cruisers. Finally in desperation I put on a #10 green bead-head wooly bugger. Stripping in the first cast, I felt a strong pull and then a blazing run. A 5 minute struggle brought this fish to hand and ultimately to my table. (Mmmmmmmm trout)

Another few casts and a cookie-cutter copy of the first fish was at the boat. The whole time this was going on, Anthony was stubbornly (and futilely) flogging tghe water with a sedge dry. The sun was disappearing and I was satisfied with my day. I told Anthony to pull up his anchor and we started to head back. There was a log extending out into the water that a large trout had been rising near for about an hour. Anthony begged me to stop and let him get a couple of casts near the log (it was impossible with our earlier position and the wind) I relented and stopped, dropped my anchor and watched Anthony fling a few futile cast near the log, until I could take no more. I told A that we had to get into shore and he agreed. I upped anchor and as I turned my back and started the motor, Anthony snuck in one last cast. As the motor kicked in, I heard "fish on, fish on!!!!). Boom, motor off, anchor down, and a strong fight that ended with dinner for Anthony and the family.

The last day (Sunday) was again sunny, but very windy. We had spent an hour Saturday night tying up bead-head wooly buggers and mikaluk sedges, so we started the day fishing hose and finished the day (at 5pm) doing the same. It was again a good day that produced fish with fair regularity. We came off the water and packed up and were on the road by 6:30. On the drive home, we recounted the weekend. We had 30-35 fish between the 2 of us and many more takes that didn't result in tangible fish. It was suych a treat to hit a decent sedge hatch and to have so much top water action (old eyes can tire, staring endlessly at a tiny pink indicator for hours on end). We pulled into my driveway at 11:15 pm with memories of great fishing, food and drink, looking forward to next year already.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Jeez.....All that action and I was over on Ruxton Island.......Beautiful fish, guys! I am jelous, and all I can say is....You Bast--ds!!........Prof.....me thinks I will re organize my schedule for next year..... ;)......Ortho 8)
(I think I know where that lake is......just North of Kamloops, eh? ;D)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Fantastic Prof...sounds like an awesome weekend...I'm jealous... :thumbup: Good on Anthony for persevering like that...even if you had given up on that fish... ;)

Thanks for a great read buddy... :cheers:

·
Registered
452 Posts
More importantly, now my wife has evidence - thus freeing me to go out with you guys!! :beerchug:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.