BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to hit the Allouette this afternoon since it was a beautiful day. Well when I got to the hole that produced some fish earlier in the week I was surprised by how many people where there. At first I thought it was ok until they started to snag chum and drag them up the shore. I was only there for a short while and by the time I left I was pretty pissed off. Too many families around to really lay into some of these people after explaining to them that what they where doing was wrong. Felt like I was talking to a brick wall so the only thing I could do was write letters to our local news papers and I will forward then to DFO as well. The unfortunate thing was that I forgot to bring my cell to report this activity. Here is a copy of the letter I sent to my local papers.

To the editor

As the return of the salmon to our local streams has begun it is nice to see the start of this return be so healthy. The sad part is to witness the unethical treatment of these fish by some of the fishermen that have started to fish the local stream since the opening of the retention of coho. These fishermen seem to think that it is perfectly acceptable to foul hook chum. They also seem to think that it is acceptable to drag these fish up onto the rocks, step on them to remove the hook and then throw them and I mean throw them back into the river. They also seem to think that it is acceptable to pull them into the shallows then kick them up onto the rocks remove the hook and then proceed to kick them right back into the water. I have confronted these people on the river to explain that what they are doing is wrong and could earn them a violation from one of the many DFO officers out there. Their only response is why, what is wrong with what we are doing or their other response would be "it is just a chum" . It is sad to think that in todays society people think that because it is just a chum it is perfectly ok to treat them this way. Well it is not. It should not matter whether it is a chum or a coho or a steelhead or any fish for that matter they should all be treated the same and they should learn how fish ethically. I have fished these local waters for just over 25 years and have never witnessed such horrible unethical treatment of these fish. From now on I will bring my cell phone which has the phone number for DFO and report all violations and hope that others do the same. Maybe just maybe with enough pressure an officer will patrol these waters on a regular basis to bring an end to this type of practice. It is apparent that explaining to these people does not help, but maybe a nice fine hitting them in the pocket book will work. I hope these people are also reading this and think twice about doing it again but if you still think it is acceptable and continue don't be surprised if an officer is standing behind you writing out a violation.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well its too bad there isnt enough DFO officers out there to take care of this! Its too bad they cant have some sort of volunteer DFO officers out there who could write a few tickets or whatever. They have volunteer firemen why cant they have volunteer DFO? Again I think there should be a test taken in order to get your fishing license. So people must know and learn about the treatment of fish - how to identify fish etc etc. Im guessing there are alot of really stupid people out there - just plain ignorant!

·
Registered
30 Posts
That test is a very valid point. It would be great if everyone out there on the waters would know how to care for the fish, but there are idiots who drive like idiots even when they pass with flying colors on their drivers test neh?

I believe there won't be much agreement on the idea of having a test for a fishing liscense, because it would ruin profit for both tourism and our local tackle shops. It would have way too big of a negative impact,,, thus creating more illegal fishing.

Maybe if people were to be told that there are fines for such things as mishandling fish, they may smarten up. but the only people able to do that are people who sell them the liscense and the random DFO that come by once a week.

I honestly can't think of any way to get the people to learn, if someone comes up with a good idea. Just post it? we have fisheries officers reading this site am i not correct?

P.S. just curious~ do DFO come out only when they need to meet their quota on tickets like the cops do? :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
heh, maybe shane~

but are they willing to take time and resources to make a learners manual for fishing.

Who is going to teach these people? I dunno man~ i'm just thinking it's not very likely.

It's not like the treatment has just started this year~ it happens every year. and if DFO cared more

they probably would have put out a guide to handling fish. I'm sure they know just as well that people are

treating fish poorly even without us telling them.

I really am curious if they can do something about it tho. -Jiff-

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
No learners guide necessary... its called BC Fishing Regulations manual. Add a little section on proper river ethics and there you go. You fail the test, you don't get a license. It's just like a drivers exam, they don't put everything in the drivers manual into the test, they randomize the questions. If you read the book, you pass the test. It's simple.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hear you flyguy. It's bloody ridiculous what goes on down at these rivers. I too have had my fair share of "conversations" with people about the proper way to catch and release a fish. First it was the pinks getting hooked, dragged and kicked and now the chums. It's infuriating to say the least and I really worry sometimes for future salmon stocks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it's not much but what if we have an idiot proof signs that remind everyone on rules and regulations on places where they issue the license, ON THE license, on known areas that gong-shows occur and pretty much where people will go to fish? I'm not saying put it everywhere that the signs itself can be an eyesore, just prominent places where it will hit people sub-consciously. I got bored so I fiddled around with Photo Explosion and came up with something like this

·
Registered
87 Posts
So it's bad to set your resolution to the lowest on your computer, eh :p. I thought I screwed up there, turns out I had my resolution at low :'( again, I appologize.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Shane said:
Well if they made a test mandatory that would help pay for more CO officers would it not?
Well as long as you see MORE officers out there - not just a cash cow! This year I took my boaters license and previous to this I really didnt know alot about bouys etc but I wrote my test and pasted it the first time. You are allowed 9 wrong and I got 4 wrong. I think if these tests are manditory you are hopefully changing and teaching the minds of a FEW idiots. And you are Made to READ the regulations. But on the other hand (like one of the other posters mentioned) there are still alot of idiots with drivers licenses. Some people you just cant change!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got back from the Vedder, same things happening there.
In this day and age almost ALL of us have cel phones............it's simple:
If you see an infraction of the "Rules" hit your speed dial
1) RAPP
2) DFO
If we make enough calls maybe someone will see that there is an issue

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The good thing about this system is the access can be hard to find if you are not local and there is no retention of chum and only one coho so it keeps most beeks away. You see most of the access to this river is limited due to the fact that most of the land owners on the river own right upto the river edge even during low water and they will chase you off the river.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.