BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The tailing pond that broke last night and dumped incredible amounts of sediments into the Quesnel Lake system will change the productivity of the system for centuries. Again another case where historic documentation of an ecosystem is important. Hopefully it will be the last time this system is wiped out by our activities. The first major degradation of the Quesnel system was due to hydro mining during the gold rush.

It is time for the provincial government to start to change how we do business and how we monitor the changes that happen due to our industrial activities. I AM NOT saying stop all mining and resource extraction, on the contrary the only way that we can value add these activities is to do them in careful way. It is obvious that the hydrological engineering for this particular mine was faulty and done on the cheap!

Either we learn from this disaster or we might as well sell the province off to others who will just rape the environment and leave us to live in a toxic waste land like we are currently doing. So there needs to be a sensible political alternative that can learn to say no to idiots who could care less about our environment and then engineer quick and dangerous hydrological systems.

How this will effect the migrating salmon needs to be carefully studied and how the productivity of the entire system including down stream all the way to the lower mainland needs to be carefully watched for a change. Unless our current provincial government gets on the case immediately it is time to start a political movement to get them the hell out of office for good.

...............................................................................................................................................................
Edit. I am sorry about the use of terms like hydro mining and the obvious spelling and syntax errors contained within this post but at the time I could not help thinking about other human engineered systems within this province that might cause disasters in the future. And the spelling errors were a cruel Freudian slip on the keyboard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree Reeman but you said it in your third paragraph. "There needs to be a sensible political alternative" . I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying, just don't put much faith in a quick and ( changing for the better) decision from the federal government. This is a marvellous system (Quesnel lake) and I used to fish and hunt there quite a bit. Sad to see the aftermath of poorly engineered system.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sad. A huge ecological disaster. Leaving a legacy of cancer causing chemicals and heavy metals for the enjoyment of our kids and grand kids. Not to mention the cost to the ecosystem. But hey, better a couple hundred people have jobs than we give any serious thought to what we are doing to the environment we live in. It's high time people opened their eyes. Money isn't the answer, it's the problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How long does it take that water to reach Fraser?
It all depends on flow levels of the Quesnel River. If you look at the pictures of the plume going out into Quesnel Lake the sediment is moving down lake to the river fairly quickly. Of much more concern right now is how the sockeye that beach spawn in the creek mouths on the lake and how many fish are actually being killed right now. Further to that how the overall productivity of the lake is effected and how badly the rearing habitat for char and salmon is damaged in the main stem of the lake that flows down to the outlet.

How much of the sediment that will reach the gravel beds is what should be studied and how to deal with damage it will do if at all possible. It is possible to clean spawning gravel and recreate small areas of spawning beds.

The Germans are doing exactly these things in areas of the Rhine River where Atlantic Salmon are being re-introduced.

Historically the Quesnel Lake run was huge and has been decimated by sediments from mining activity for well over a century and a half. It is time to change things for good and the first change has to be to our attitude that nothing can be done!

If there is a fish kill on the Fraser because of this disaster then just perhaps some of the dead wood in the lower mainland will finally wake up and take notice for a change.

Reactions: scuro

·
Registered
44 Posts
Imperial metals should be on the ground right now cleaning up their mess and trucking it back up the hill. The lake and river system cannot wait for some half-baked consultants report as to how much of these tailings can be tolerated without poisoning the whole system. They made this mess ,now clean it up.The impact of this will only get worse as we head into fall and winter ,with spring run-off bringing everything that they had up there down. Jail time is required for CEO's, mine managers , incompetent consultants, and provincial bureaucrats that have allowed this to happen. It was not an act of God.

·
Registered
468 Posts
From what I'm reading the jack asses at imperial won't even answer the phone right now, if that's any indication of what's to come I'd say next will be document shredding and bankruptcy. Nothing will be cleaned up by them, we will pay for it with our taxes and then be left to suffer the consequences for decades.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The tailing pond that broke last night and dumped incredible amounts of sediments into the Quesnel Lake system will change the productivity of the system for centuries. Again another case where historic documentation of an ecosystem is important. Hopefully it will be the last time this system is wiped out by our activities. The first major degradation of the Quesnel system was due to hydro mining during the gold rush.

It is time for the provincial government to start to change how we do business and how we monitor the changes that happen due to our industrial activities. I AM NOT saying stop all mining and resource extraction, on the contrary the only way that we can value add these activities is to do them in careful way. It is obvious that the hydrological engineering for this particular mine was faulty and done on the cheap!

Either we learn from this disaster or we might as well sell the province off to others who will just rape the environment and leave us to live in a toxic waste land like we are currently doing. So there needs to be a sensible political alternative that can learn to say no to idiots who could care less about our environment and then engineer quick and dangerous hydrological systems.

How this will effect the migrating salmon needs to be carefully studied and how the productivity of the entire system including down stream all the way to the lower mainland needs to be carefully watched for a change. Unless our current provincial government gets on the case immediately it is time to start a political movement to get them the hell out of office for good.
Reenman, please tell us exactly what hydro mining, hydrological engineering and dangerous hydrological systems are - you see, I am an Engineer, I have worked in Africa, Asia, Europe, Australasia and North America and I have yet to see these things you talk of - so please enlighten me!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reenman, please tell us exactly what hydro mining, hydrological engineering and dangerous hydrological systems are - you see, I am an Engineer, I have worked in Africa, Asia, Europe, Australasia and North America and I have yet to see these things you talk of - so please enlighten me!
http://hp.bccna.bc.ca/Library/Yearbook/11/chap11sub17.html

My spelling of hydraulic was bad but the point was that the entire area was raped long ago by corporations and the sediments wiped out huge areas of spawning gravels all over the area. We do not know what proportion of the runs were lost at that time. Quesnel Lake is natural wonder and very little is known about its depths. https://www.google.com/search?q=dee...f-8#q=depth+of+Quesnel+Lake++British+Columbia

In short we have screwed up the one of the most productive fisheries on the planet in less than a hundred and fifty years and there is no justification for it because the economic by product of our activities is in reality extremely short term compared to what could be in this province.

Our current development policies are simple smash and grab and as bad as the Communist 5 year plans that screwed over China and Russia during the cold war!
This is not progress it is a mad race to the bottom of the barrel. We are turning this wonderland into an economic wasteland!

Reactions: Clint R
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.