BC Fishing Reports banner

Note for steelhead fishing

4K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  EZ Rolling 
#1 ·
My friend went today. He called me and told me about his report. I will let him post it if he wants to...

But more importantly, I wanted to say this. He has talked with 5 ppl on the river. All of them are stating that they are looking for steelhead with the intention of keeping one. At the end of the conversation, my friend asked if anyone has a steelhead stamp, and none of them has one. 3 of them replied that they already purchased the salmon stamp. 2 of them simply did not have any salmon stamp on.

He told them in order for fish and keep a hatchery steelhead, you do need a stamp. 1 person actually left and saying he is getting one right away , and the other 4 changed their target fish into late chum salmon and continue fishing...

#2 ·
I beleieve eventually if your out there your gonan have to have a steelhead tag, If your going now you should have one, considering salmon fishing is over

How do you switch over from steelhead fishing to chum and what ever fishing , becuase you have no Steelhead tag, they all take Roe !!!! one of the most used stuff on the rivers where allowed.

Its Easy, Steelhead season is here go get the tag, you have to have it just to fish for them

#3 ·
my point is there is some people will try to get rid of not buying the tag by simply saying they are trying to target Chum... And some did not know you need a steelhead tag. I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt of the only person who left right away and the other 4 change their target fish to Chum salmon when in the beginning of the conversation, they said Steelhead.

#4 ·
charles said:
my point is there is some people will try to get rid of not buying the tag by simply saying they are trying to target Chum... And some did not know you need a steelhead tag. I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt of the only person who left right away and the other 4 change their target fish to Chum salmon when in the beginning of the conversation, they said Steelhead.
I know what your saying, thats ok DFO is out there dureing this fishery ,I was checked a few times last year

These people will get an eye opener when there out there and they use an excuse that there chum fishing in January February and March just so they dont have to spend a whole $26 bucks on a tag when Dfo asks them for there license. At least they were warned.

#5 ·
Good note Charles,

To Clarify, if you go out on the Vedder now until it closes. I you should have a steelhead stamp. I know this will probably be debated, but depending on the officer you get a few bucks in cheap inurance against a ticket.

#6 ·
im pretty sure on the Vedder as of JAN 1st you MUST have a steelhead tag in order to wet a line regardless of what your fishing for. think this may ring true on other systems with winter steelhead.

if they dont have this implemented they sure should.

HOOK

#8 ·
there are lots of salmon in there right now.. you can target and get chrome coho still... there is probably a few steelhead around as well... in reality you can fish for the salmon in there without a steelhead tag... towards the end of the month I would be purchasing a tag though... I already have mine when licences were renewed so i dont have to worry..

#9 ·
leaping tyee said:
I just don't understand,some people call themself sport fishermen and why go cheap on it.At the end you going to pay the same or more when you get caught. ::)I bought mine in the beginning of the season with all stamps :thumbup: :thumbup:
I totally agree, people like that are a JOKE. Not doing it for the sport but the meat. Take,take and take. Never give.

#10 ·
It's pretty simple:
Your basic license must be validated with a Conservation Surcharge Stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in B.C. (whether you intend to keep or release your catch.)

#11 ·
Keep it easy, get it all at once come April, that way you never have to worry about it after. Every april I drop about $115 on my licenses. Fresh, salt, both salmon tags and my steelhead tag. This year I spent the extra $$ for my classified waters license and I am sure I will be paying for the Sturgeon Stamp if they go through with it.

Funny thing is it is a grey area at this time of the year, however when you admit that you are fishing for steel, then flip back to late run chum....well we know what those people are like :pissed:

#14 ·
And I quote "Your basic licence must be validated with a Conservation Surcharge Stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in BC (whether you intend to keep or release you catch). It is pretty simple, and for 26 buck for a year I have no problem buying one.

#19 ·
Same for me....every April I load up on the license, Steelhead tag and Non-Tidal Salmon...then at some point during the season I will have someone that I know ask to come fishing with me, and I have taken to checking their license as well. A couple of time I have caught guys who don't have the proper tags, either through lack of knowledge, or for some reason they figure that they are justified in trying to get around the regs (ie: I am only going out once, I probably won't catch one, or it is all a money grab for the government). I am no hard core fisher, and never promise to get anyone a fish when we go, but anyone who comes with me follows the regs or they don't come again.

#20 ·
I dont understand the mentality of some people. 26 bucks. What can you buy for 26 bucks, a case of beer that lasts one night, a meal and jug or beer at a pub, 2 movie tickets and popcorn. Really who cares its 26 bucks and part of that money goes toward conservation, and improving the quality of steelhead fishing for everyone.my :2cents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.