BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice – Recreational Anglers

In late June Early Stuart sockeye will enter the Fraser River. The forecast for Early Stuart sockeye is 45,000 fish. DFO anticipates that in-river migration conditions during their migration will be adverse; extremely high water levels leading to en-route mortality. Given the low forecast and expected en-route mortality all fish are required for escapement. DFO will be working with all users of the resource to limit their impact on Early Stuart sockeye.

We anticipate that DFO will continue to authorize the Chinook directed recreational fishery and will announce a “no fishing for sockeye” restriction during the migration of Early Stuart sockeye (late June thru late July).
What does this mean for you? For the recreational anglers, DFO is requesting that anglers fish selectively.
The first principle of selective harvest is to avoid catching non-targeted stocks. This means that anglers are requested to use methods that do not catch sockeye. We, the SFAC, have found the following fishing methods both catch Chinook and rarely intercept sockeye:

• Bar Fishing
• Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
• Float Fishing
• Pulling Plugs

We encourage you to continue to use these methods to target Chinook while avoiding sockeye.

Please note that bottom bouncing is NOT a selective fishing method and is strongly discouraged during the migration of Early Stuart sockeye and a “no fishing for sockeye” restriction is in place.

The Upper Fraser Valley Sport Fish Advisory Committee (SFAC) and its member groups strongly encourage all anglers to fish selectively for Chinook with methods not likely to catch sockeye during this time period.

Should DFO feel that the rate of compliance is insufficient to ensure the safe passage of the Early Stuart sockeye spot closures or a “no fishing for salmon” restriction may result.

This message is brought to you by the Upper Fraser Valley SFAC. For more information about the SFAC go to:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/SFAB_e.htm

or contact one of these member groups of the Upper Fraser Valley SFAC:

BC Federation of Drift Fishers
Fraser Valley Salmon Society
Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association

UPPER FRASER VALLEY
Sport Fishing Advisory Committee

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Hey Rick
Thanks for sending this out. I just wish the DFO would regulate as opposed to strongly suggest as this will be the only way to get the message across to those who do not frequent this or the other forums. Many of them think there is no problem legally to floss even this early.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Big Green Machine said:
Hey Rick
Thanks for sending this out. I just wish the DFO would regulate as opposed to strongly suggest as this will be the only way to get the message across to those who do not frequent this or the other forums. Many of them think there is no problem legally to floss even this early.
Don't worry, DFO is regulating as they did last year. They monitored the flossing bars, and got the balls to get a loud microphone/speakerphone out. And said those ethically fishing can stay, and those not need to pack up immediately or start fishing ethically as they have "requested" to do so! I saw it 1st hand @ wellington last year and heard about another one at grassy! Hopefully some of the 55 new fishery officers they hired for BC will be out there this year.

Mike <"))))><

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Hopefully some of the 55 new fishery officers they hired for BC will be out there this year.
That's great news. Are these DFO guys or COs? I know DFO regulates and manages salmon. Can't other groups (like COs, police etc.) enforce salmon regs as they can freshwater regs?

And Mike thanks for posting your Barfing tips on the "other" forum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is august, hasn't the early stuart run already gone through the fraser below Hope, now at least according to the salmon updates they seem to think so. late summer runs are starting to come in, or is this just another DFO boon doggle again to keep the natives happy.

and before you start yelling and screaming I both bottom bounce and bar fish and have for the past 6 weeks, I've hooked only 1 sockeye BB (last saturday) and that came off as i slackened the line, the extra 3 feet of leader i use make sit easier to release the fish (the weight is further away from the fish). I've fished the river for over 30 years and know that springs are farther out and sockeyes closer in and thus the sockeye can easily be avoided.

Finally the spring I hooked last tuesday, while watching the natives run thier drift net, had the hook down its throat. So how is that flossing. As said in another post, keep up the screaming and yelling and all this other crap and DFO will happily oblige and shut the river down!! Take a minute to think how many sockeye are actually affected by those evil no moral bottom bouncers and come down of you're high pulpit and go after the real cause of the decline in stocks. NETS!!!!

As for this weekend of course there will be more sockeye interactions, there is way more sockeye in the river, why do you think there are so many native nets in the river.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.