Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Effective immediately, the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River from the CPR
Bridge at Mission, BC upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC are no
fishing for sockeye.

This action is necessary due to low forecast returns of Early Stuart sockeye
insufficient to meet the proposed escapement target. Management actions are
being undertaken in all fisheries and for all sectors to minimize impacts on
Early Stuart sockeye. Early Stuart sockeye are forecast to begin entering the
Fraser River during the last week of June.

Anglers are reminded that:

During the migration timing for Early Stuart sockeye, anglers are required to
fish selectively for Chinook. The first principle of selective harvest is to
avoid catching non-targeted stocks. This means that anglers are requested to
use angling methods that do not catch sockeye.

The second principle of selective harvest is to release sockeye in the manner
which causes the least harm. Information on catch and release tips can be
found at:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/KeyPoints/releasetips_e.htm

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

The term hatchery marked means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at:

8 0 0 - 4 6 5 - 4 3 3 6

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at:

8 6 6 - 4 3 1 - 3 4 7 4

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think to make it simple for everyone to understand, the DFO like last year is advising sportfishers not to target sockeye while fishing for springs so that what is left of the stuart run that has been over fished by other groups (no names mentioned) can make it to the spawning grounds. By this they are indirectley saying to aviod bottom bouncing (which is the most productive method to consistantly catch sockeye!) and try to stick to methods such as bar fishing or any other methods we may have to target chinook until the stuart run has gone through the system.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What a joke. So the deal is now we're not supposed to bottom bounce for Chinook. This is so ridiculous we all now the declining stocks are because of all the netting that goes on. :pissed: I'm sick and tired of not being able to fish the way I want to, because of declining fish stocks. We anglers are constantly being penalized for things that aren't even our fault. I wish the DFO would do something about the real problem for a change. :confused: :pissed: :wallbash:

Nates

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i think the joke is not understanding how fragile the fishery is and as sportsmen and women we need to grow up and do our part without complaining about everyone else.yes you may enjoy bottem bouncing but unfotunatly it catches alot of sockeye wich are hurting this year. do your best to refrain from bouncing for the sake of the fish. thats all i will comment on this , thanks for my rant.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was being a little disturber on another site, asked some reely bone head questions, and it looked like the guy "moderator/owner" was wearing a little thin lol different answer for every question, some I agreed on before I posted and some not lol ;D but kind of lying behind the cp and raisin $hnizer is kind of fun ;D

I have to agree with NORTHRIVERS post though, good post and welcome to the forum. Think we've seen your boat around towing some serious sturgeon ;)

Mike <"))))><

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Mike D. said:
Effective immediately, the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River from the CPR
Bridge at Mission, BC upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC are no
fishing for sockeye...

...Anglers are reminded that:

During the migration timing for Early Stuart sockeye, anglers are required to
fish selectively for Chinook. The first principle of selective harvest is to
avoid catching non-targeted stocks.

This means that anglers are requested to
use angling methods that do not catch sockeye
There is a big difference between "bottom bouncing" and "flossing", the line is not a fine one...If you are out there on the Fraser flossing sockeye then you know that you have crossed that line even before you make your first cast...no pleading ignorance, no excuses.

Every angler should be held accountable for their actions, I have no doubt as to your ethics Nates, I know how you fish...If you were bottom bouncing for chinook and I looked over and saw it I wouldn't think twice about it and would continue to enjoy my day...

However, other anglers might think they can use this DFO "request" to cheat the system. If you are one of these "others", we see you.

All those other anglers fishing next to you on the Fraser river bars ethically and not catching sockeye can tell when you are crossing the line. If you are one of those who want to play stupid when you hook a sockeye every second cast and say you are just fishing for chinook...Well, like I said, there is a big difference between bottom bouncing and flossing...there's also a difference between integrity and a lack of it...

My :2cents:

·
Registered
587 Posts
The problem with bouncing is that the technique has not been taught properly before it gets practiced. The way things are and people's attidtude towards it ( longer leader = more fish) leads to abuse of the technique and it all ends up to be flossing no matter how you look at it and if you read your synopsis you will find that you must release all snagged fish. I think that because of the abusement of the bottom bounching technique and how it gets taught to all the new fisherpersons comming into the sport, this mentality will not stop because it produces fish and thus it spreads as anyone on the vedder has noticed and now what was a skill to catch a fish becomes an act of harvesting a fish which will mess with all fish stocks and ruin fisheries for future generations. Flossing should be kept to sockeye openings only! besides there are many other techniques that can produce springs just as well and promotes a better river atmosphere. just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Flossing and Bottom Bouncing, never practiced either method, therefore I am not too sure about them. Firstly, with flossing or bottom bouncing, what is the chance it will snag a fish? If this chance is low, then I'd say go ahead and floss. A fish that is properly hooked up and played then it should have no problem with survival when being released (correct me if I'm wrong).

But if these methods do tend to snag a lot of fish, then definately dont do it, it's just common sense.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we want these fish to stay with us until we are all too old and weak to bring them in ourselves, and even past then. These fish are fun, beautiful creatures and should also be presrved for future generations, and I believe we should all do what we can to conserve them.

:2cents:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm not planning on wading into this stuff right now ;).

But I must add that for years we were fed the line "flossing sox is okay beacuse they do not bite", apparently this line was utter BS, as we now see flossing being accepted and practiced by many Chinook fishers and even Steelhead fisherman, as evidenced 2 seasons ago at lower Vedder fish traps.

This is the reason why some anglers are pushing forward with aboloshing the act entirely.
Through forum debates and general debate amongst anglers, the carpet has been lifted and the snagging will be exsposed for exactly what it is.
Perhaps a snagging opening will still occur during strong sockeye runs in the future, but according to experts, those may be a thing of the past as well.

Simple case of getting carried away with ourselves, creating a monster if you will.
I certainly take responsibilty for pushing leader lengths and teaching others to floss.

The very guys that fought to have Sockeye opened are the ones really trying to shut it down, as this was NOT their intention.
I must add that these individuals are always the guys at all the meetings fighting for anglers rights and habitat issues, so spare us the bad anti snagger rhetoric. It's not about that.

A trip down the banks of the Vedder this fall tells the story of the legacy of the sockeye fishery, DFO, MOE have all recognized this fact and that is a great start.

·
Registered
648 Posts
sox are meant to be fished in the chuck. stop allowing the snagfest in the river, and they'll be no legal flossing, PERIOD. there is no excuse for snagging fish, it should never be allowed. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Nates
You can still bottom bounce if you feel it is necessary for Springs or Sockeye you just have to wait until this early run of sockeye get through. A little patience now will pay off later. All stakeholder groups have to do their part to revitilize this stock.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well I have to say the flossing problem is' nt going to go away just because Dfo is putting in a request for selective methods. Cascade and BR I think your posts hit it dead on. With the pressure off the socks you have to wonder what the presure on the spring fishery will be like this year. All those folks that get sock fever every summer will be out in full force come mid summer looking for something. As far as bottom bouncing in the fraser, 2 ft or ten foot leader the intention is the same. True BBing in the Vedder or on any other clear water stream is in fact a acceptable method of getting the bait or lure down to the fishes level, but in the Fraser when you cant see your hand in a foot of water and you're casting a peice of cut yarn on a 2/0 hook your cant tell me your consered aboout presentation. I would love to see dfo limit leader length to three ft for BBing and only have it in effect during sockeye or pink openings. There is no reason to floss Springs.
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Why in the heck would anyone floss pinks ::), those slimy little bassards will bite just about anything you throw at em.

Flossing during early fall is even worse, with endangered Coho and Thompson Steelhead in the system, DFO is just waiting to close that one down on us. Guys need to be careful or closures will come.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You know I've heard it all before. All the whining and complaining, blaming everyone and everything else, for decisions and rules that DFO puts into practice. :'( :'(

The bottom line is that each party needs to clean up their own backyard and keep it clean. Complaining about other parties involved (including races) is just a stupid way to try to legitimize our own behaviour and/or look for sympathy votes.

We all complain that DFO doesn't do enough about protecting runs and catching violators but as soon as they initiate something some don't agree with we criticize and complain.

Did anyone ever once think that if there was compliance by all sports fisherman (good luck there) DFO would be able to concentrate on the other problems at hand or at least focus on them.

For every one sports fisherman that does obey DFO's requests I'm sure there are probably over 10 that still insist that they will fish how ever they wish ....... in violation.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well put GF. I used to get all riled up at all the netting out there, legal or otherwise, I read a post on the other forum awile back that really change my whole perspective on it .I am trying to search the archives to locate it and to ask permission to post it here. The writer actually had catch numbers to compare commercial to F/N to sport retentions and like I say, for being a good ole ******* boy it sure changed my thinking.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good Idea CD, Bring up the numbers, particularly the numbers for sockeye harvest.

Here are the Fraser river Sockeye summary figures for 2000 to 2004 (most recent years available from PSC website)

2004 total catch: 2,259,700 sockeye caught
1,326,400 commercial 59% of total catch
615,200 first nations 27% of total catch
52,000 recreational 2% of total catch

2003 total catch: 1,889,000 sockeye caught
1,043,000 commercial 55% of total catch
781,000 first nations 41% of total catch
65,000 recreational 3% of total catch

2002 total catch: 3,617,000 sockeye caught
2,218,000 commercial 61% of total catch
1,155,000 First nations 32% of total catch
126,000 recreational 3% of total catch

2001 total catch: 1,197,000 sockeye caught
297,000 commercial 25% of total catch
848,000 first nations 71% of total catch
34,000 recreational 3% of total catch

2000 total catch: 1,872,000 sockeye caught
955,000 commercial 51% of total catch
848,000 first nations 47% of total catch
24,000 recreational 1% of total catch

So who is "doing their part"?

The recreational harvest is a non-issue in the total harvest of fraser river sockeye. This is particularly true of early stuarts when there are significanlty less people fishing and much higher water levels and yet the same number of nets in the water. What is most tiring is listening to rhetoric from people who want to close bottom bouncing in the early season using the "reasoning" that bottom bouncing is a non-selective harvest method. BS. It only becomes non-selective when the angler (read poacher) actually wacks a sockeye. If the fish is released, the method is completely selective. Try releasing an early run stuart from a gill net after it has been sitting in there for more than an hour. Rather odd how it swims belly up and only downstream :confused:

If you want to close bottom bouncing with the intent to "save early stuarts" you are p*ssing in the wind. If you (DFO) are serious about saving early run stuarts, close the river to bottom bouncing and close the river to FN Nets. For every fish saved from the evils of catch and release bottom bouncing, you will save 100 from certain death in the gill nets.

"do their part" ???? Seems to me that the recreational sector IS doing that. :peace:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
There's nothing that says you can't "bottom bounce" finaddict ........ I believe what DFO of referring to is people who "floss" for Sockeye and use that method when fishing for other species. Difference is length of leader. Bottom bouncing with a 2 - 3 foot leader is an acceptable way to fish for springs .......... flossing with an 8 - 10++ foot leader is not.

And you are right when you state:
It only becomes non-selective when the angler (read poacher) actually wacks a sockeye. If the fish is released, the method is completely selective.
Unlike you there are many, many people who don't have a clue or the patience to fish for springs while bottom bouncing ...... they only know how to floss ....... and that's who previous comments were directed to.

Have a great weekend,

GOFISH 8)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.