BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may need a season non-resident license for next year :wink:

My buddies and I are toying with the idea of coming up this summer for the run of red springs or the sockeye run. I was hoping you guys could tell me what that is like compared to the fall run of springs in terms of fish numbers and fishermen numbers. Also, we would be trying to do the trip on the cheap, camping instead of staying a hotel. Are there any good campgrounds on or near the vedder?

For what it's worth, we try to leave the rivers nicer than we find them, and packed out 6 garbage bags of other people's trash on our last trip.

Thanks!

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Mooky...from my experience the runs of springs in the summer on the vedder are lower in numbers compared to those in the fall...having said that, there are excellent opportunities on the fraser, bar fishing for red springs...If you were to pursue that angle, you would also find good opportunities for sockeye at the same time, depending on openings. Now, I don't know if you have fished the sockeye fishery, but you might not find it to be the enjoyable experience you hope for. However, you should be able to find some decent camping opportunities on the fraser, and may even be able to avoid the crowds if you are willing to compromise in regards to catching vast numbers of sockeye. If you prefer the more forested setting for camping then I would say camp the vedder and work the red springs, you may not catch as many fish, but you will find nicer camping spots, and less people. There are plenty of good spots for camping on or near the vedder. Google thurston meadows, tamihi, etc campgrounds, and you should get a website with a list of many, many available campgrounds in the local area rivers. There should also be some free camping around, but these recreation sites are few and far between nowadays.
I don't know much about camping on the fraser but would imagine there are a great many bars with suitable spots to camp nearby...
Good luck, let us know what you find out...
rib

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I was hoping you guys could tell me what that is like compared to the fall run of springs in terms of fish numbers and fishermen numbers
The early run of Springs yields good numbers of fish bar-fishing with Spin N Glos, yarn tied in a bait loop or both with roe on a lot of bars. I would strongly suggest hiring a guide for your first trip - one that can teach you an effective and ethical way to fish for Springs. As for sockeye, I would not recommend it unless you want to deal with thousands of people, crowded holes etc. If you want an enjoyable experience catching fish, hire a guide otherwise you might spend all your time driving in traffic.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I am definately in it for the fishing, not for meat, so I will certainly trade numbers of fish for quality of experience (I didn't even bother getting a salmon stamp last time, just releasing everything I caught). I am pretty much 100% fly fishing (not a "purist", just an addict :D ), and those springs this fall were an absolute BLAST on a fly rod. Basically, I just want a chance to go after some big fun fish. (Our salmon and steelhead have to cross 6 dams and the entire state of Oregon just to get here, so our returns are pathetic in numbers. With a fly rod, you are looking at 10-20 hours of fishing per hookup IF you really know what you are doing).

When you say the early run, what timeframe are you talking about?

Again, I appreciate all the help.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
When you say the early run, what timeframe are you talking about
The early run are "Red Springs" and can be had, depending on conditions, late May until the end of August approximately. The peak is probably closer to mid June, once the water levels on the Fraser subside after Spring run off, to the end of July but then again that can vary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.