BC Fishing Reports banner
241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Safe bet. If you're Desjardins which team would you like: a team with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang or a team consisting of older Sedins, and aging vets ?
The exact same speculation was made about Benning and Pittsburgh, and look where he ended up.

Regarding the coach: I was at a townhall-style meeting with Linden, Benning and de Bonis on Monday (about 100 or so people in an open-mike Q&A format).

I threw in a question regarding whether they felt it was a good idea to go with a coach who lacked any NHL level experience, given the fact that both Linden and Benning were new in their roles. Linden's response was interesting. He listed the qualities and experience that he felt were necessary - all of which pretty much described DJ. He then added "that they were talking to other people too", etc. His wording seemed to me to be a bit of a slip which indicated that he already had a specific person in mind.

If I had to bet money, I'd put in on DJ right now.

The townhall was pretty interesting, by the way. Some interesting questions and as much honesty as you could realistically expect from the panel (they aren't going to divulge their key negotiating positions, of course). Linden squirmed a bit on the Kesler issue and ended with "It will all work out the best way for us". Body language said "Bye Ryan!".

Benning is definitely not a media guy. That job will clearly fall to Linden, who has a gift for not answering a question but giving you something that makes you feel ok about it. I chatted with Benning for 5 minutes or so before the meeting started, and he comes across as a very down-to-earth person. More like your plumber buddy than a highly paid executive. I mean that in a good way.

Anyway, it was an interesting evening.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know a certain ex canucks employee who is commonly referred to as a mentor for Linden, he told me 3 weeks ago DJ was the main choice. The choice of DJ very closely mirrors the hiring of Benning, the nucks have had enough bluster out of coaches and GM's (tks Burke & Torts). I think we will see less media engagement and more focused leadership, sparing the narcissism.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sorry to see Kesler go. Particularly to a division rival. But inevitable.

Benning is freeing up a lot of cap space. Guess they figured they could get better value from Garrison's $4.6M on the free market this year.

Interesting how many guys are willing to waive their NTCs when asked. Benning alluded to that in the town hall I attended - if guys aren't wanted, they generally are willing to go. Wonder how many of them are asking for the trades though (definitely Kesler, of course).

·
Registered
470 Posts
BigfishMike said:
Originally Posted by Junebug

Jason Garrison to Tampa Bay for the 50th pick
Garrison has one of the hardest shots in the entire west. I watched a few games, and always thought he should shoot more.

Don't know about his D skills though...Tonight will be interesting all around.
Hard shot, but unfortunately not that accurate.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
So what...get the puck into the mess of bodies in front.
If your shot can hurt people or peel red paint, fire away...blast off.
Rarely has a coach bitched at a hard-shooting defenceman for getting the puck into the crease,
or deep, if he is off mark a bit.
Today's players like pretty plays moreso than in the past.
I'm old school---dump, hit, forecheck, cycle, go to the paint, take the body.
Like Pip's Flyers...always tough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
50th pick to LA for Linden Vey, Trader Jim making moves. After the doll Gillis, this is refreshing to see.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So now after a few moves, what do you think? Garrison went because he is slow, maybe the slowest d-man here (other than Alberts) since Murzyn (AKA the pylon). Kesler wanted out since last season and Bonino had more points (many with Perry & Getzlaf). Sbiza is a project at best. Vey may have some big upside. Miller is a die hard competitor, hopefully he bought some big boy gonchies in preparation for the local media & fans. He was the best goalie in vancouver in the month of Feb 2010. The biggest move Benning has made may be getting Demko. Everything I've heard indicates he might be the real deal. Pip's Flyers are too busy grabbing butts in Ottawa (male ones at that) as opposed to being good enough to do it in the 4th playoff round! No way any of the old broad street crowd would grab a male cops butt! Go ahead and call Dupont or Schultz on that one! As an objective hockey fan (not a nux homer) I have to say I'm very impressed by the get things done attitude shown by Benning and Linden. They may have saved the nux from an Albertan collapse. McDavid to Buffalo is my prediction for next off season. Oh yeah, Umberger for Hartnell???? please explain this one for me Pip (make sure to top up on orange Kool aid first tho). Umberger is a career malcontent, Hartnell oozes personality and leadership.

241 - 258 of 258 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.