BC Fishing Reports banner

Ogden point fishing

14K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Toolguy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I was wondering If anyone has fished off Ogden Point, if so any tips on what to use or do as I was thinking about heading down sometime this week and was thinking about bottom fishing. Any input you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Clayton

#4 ·
I dove off Ogden Point about 10 years ago. I'll copy the entry in Betty Pratt-Johnson's 141 Dives. 'Broken rock is heaped along the base of The Breakwater which is 20 or 30 feet deep sloping to 80 or 90 feet deep at the end. Sand stretches out from the base. Thick beds of bull-kelp rim The Breakwater which extends 1/2 a mile into the sea.'
From what I remember you should be fine. Better fishing(and diving) further out due to stronger current.

#6 ·
Its pretty grabby in there! And if one of those large lings grabs you gear it will shoot right into the rocks. If the rocks don't get ya the kelp will. Its not so bad if your in a boat fishing straight up and down but casting out then back up the wall you will probably lose some gear

#11 · (Edited)
I was working over in Victoria last Summer and my advice would be to buy some of those Storm plastic shads with a jig head embedded in them. I had most success fishing them on the inside of the breakwater. When it's calm you can cast them out 40 to 60 feet and let them drop. Reel them in slowly at a rate that brings them parralel diagonally up to the rip rap but far enough away to minimise snags. The good thing with those shad baits is that the hook rides on top and from your high view point you can steer them through the kelp beds and if they do become tangled quite often they will ride over the branches of kelp. There is nothing better than watching a ling dart out and hammer the swimbait 10 foot out from the rip rap. Make sure you've got the drag set tight enough to whale them in before they get into the rocks and loose enough to absorb the venamous strike! The best thing about this technique when the water is clear is that sometimes if you keep your eyes peeled you will see a huge ling arrive near the surface just after you have reeled in and you can then sight cast to them as they will hang around near the surface. Watching them stalk the swimbait is crazy! The only downside on the inside is that landing them is a bitch with the 15 drop so check that they are open and the size limit as it hard to catch and release on the inside without maiming them on the wall,
Nick

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for that Nick, I haven't been able to get out, had to work when I planned on going so that will be a great help, I looked in the regs and IO cant seem to make sense of the regs, closed but not closed, under or over 40m, its all giblish so Ill try to send them an email, but that will takes weeks to get a response so we will see.

Thanks again Nick, clay

#13 ·
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I've since been out and not done well, lots of snags and few fish to show for it, my biggest problem was getting out past the slope and keeping off the granite slabs, how should I be retrieving it and what should I use to avoid snags. I was trying to just use live bait on the bottom, but could never get it back up to check my bait or to even keep it tight. Any tips would be great .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.