BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be the wrong section to post this, but I figure the majority of boaters who keep their boats in the water 24/7 are people in the chuck.

I am wondering if one is able to do oil changes and leg oil changes (outboard motor) when a boat is in the water. Would an oil pump be satisfactory?

Anyone with experience with this scenario, I'd appreciate any hints. I don't have a trailer for my new boat.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I used to change my oil quite often (at least once a month in the summer) and although I did pull my boat out several times a year for hull cleaning and other maintenance I'd usually just go to the gas dock ( Granville Island), sucked out and disposed of for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
OK, I thought I knew who'd do it and since the Esso is gone I'm waiting to here back from someone I know who operates out of there.
I don't know where you are out of, BUT!
CHEVRON in Coal Harbour has the vaccum siphon for oil changes ($20.00)
Most if not all dock yards will offer the service and there are mobile mechanics as well, but the price ???
Depending on where you're coming from ( it doesn't make sense to spend $20.00 or more on gas to go get your oil siphoned for $20.00 Plus the new oil..... if some one will do it for an acceptable price).
If you're handy, It might be cheaper to make your own pump/siphon unit so you wouldn't have to worry about it and you could do it whenever.
A pump, some tubing to go down the dipstick hole and a bucket to siphon into ($40.00 spent now is $40.00 saved tomorrow and every other time you do it).

But I must say; the beach picnic maintenance procedure is more appealing ( as long as we're careful).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Siphoning works great, but maybe once a year pull the drain plug, since
particles tend to sit at the bottom of an oil pan.
It always nice to change oil when its warm to help the metal flakes and other particles flow out the plug hole with the oil,
while the plug is out give it a good wipe to remove anything stuck to the magnet.
I've also noticed on some 4 strokes the oil drain is part way down the leg allowing it to collect water that accumulates from condensation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.