BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:

I was wondering what are some good places to fish in Lake Okanogan for lake trout in the spring? I was looking for areas close to the North end of the lake. Also, what type of lures/bait would they go after around that time? Thanks!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Are you fishing from shore or a boat?
Do you mean rainbows, as there are no Lake Trout in Okanagan Lake.
When are you planning on fishing?
There are Okanagan Lake thread on here that you might want to search to gather additional info.
Also, the guys at our local tackle shop- Trout Waters Supplies can be a big help too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ Big Green Machine:

Actually there are lake trout in Okanogan, my friend just caught one last year that was about 12 lbs. I will be fishing from a boat and like I said probably sometime this spring.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
@ Big Green Machine:

Actually there are lake trout in Okanogan, my friend just caught one last year that was about 12 lbs. I will be fishing from a boat and like I said probably sometime this spring.
There are Lake Trout in Kalamalka Lake which is in the Okanagan Valley, northeast of Okanagan Lake. Never seen or heard of any Char in OK Lake, does your friend have a photo?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't know. However apparently all of the lakes are connected by underground tunnels so if they live in one lake then they live in them all. This was found when a tagged fish was released and tracked as it migrated from Kalmalka, to OK then to Swan lake Elements of Ecology by Pearson. I will try and get the photo for you.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
...However apparently all of the lakes are connected by underground tunnels so if they live in one lake then they live in them all. This was found when a tagged fish was released and tracked as it migrated from Kalmalka, to OK then to Swan lake....
Really...? Wow that's fantastic SDPY, very interesting...I'd like to read up on that...fascinating! :D

Given the forum is providing you with all this info and answering all your questions since you've joined up, the least you could do is provide a link to this info about these tunnels and the study that followed the tagged fish...it would be much appreciated to say the least. :thumbup:

That would be great and thank you in advance!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
WHOA!
Very cool.
Phosphate levels have changed a bit since Trudeau and Nixon but the tunnel thing is so there.
:peace:
Tunnels or Aquafers?
P.S. Arrgh, You and I both know we can`t convince err....ahh ....
See ya at the next `squatch outing:cheers:

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Thanks for sharing that study, a little dated but oh well, some interesting facts in there.

I'm speaking from a personal experience perspective having fished Okanagan Lake many times over the years. I have not seen or heard of any Char there, but would actually be pleased to see someone prove otherwise. I'll try to see if some of the guides on the lake can shed some light. This topic kind of reminds me of the Alouette Lake thread where some members are sure there are Lake Trout in there.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I actually learn't that in one of my Ecology textbook for school, but here is the general idea that they are all connected can be found here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/reference/okstein.pdf
Awesome, thanks SDPY! :cheers:

That's one heck of a long paper to say the least...before I sit down to read it all can you point me towards the page numbers and or references that detail the underground tunnel connections of these lakes and the migratory fish study...?

That would be a huge favor and also much appreciated. (Might even have to give you some valuable reputation points for that. ;) )

I did a quick cursory search for any more papers on this as I have access to all the journals, articles, etc., (new and old), through UBC, but was unable to find any papers in the short time I looked, albeit it was a very short search before I left for home today.

So, Page numbers for this paper would be great, but if there are certain other papers or authors, journals, etc you could list that will also save me time in my search I will owe ya one.

Thanks so much, really glad you brought this up as coincidentally I am currently doing some work on groundwater and surface hydrology, catchments/drainage basins so this is right up my alley, the microbial biomass and trophic status of these systems is definitely a bonus too!

Looking forward to your input on this,

Thanks!

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Good Grief that was boring! Looked for tunnel stuff but failed to find it. Not sure if perhaps I died while reading that.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I don't know. However apparently all of the lakes are connected by underground tunnels so if they live in one lake then they live in them all.
Are you referring to Okanagan Lake being connected to Skaha and Osoyoos Lake to the south? They are by 'channels' not tunnels. They are part of the Columbia River drainage system. But alas, there are no Lake Trout in that system either.

Lakers were introduced to Kal Lake in the 70s and there have been efforts to keep them out of Okanagan Lake because they are predators of young Rainbow and Kokanee, both stocks trying to recover. They may migrate to Wood Lake on occasion because there is a channel, but they don't stay there because Wood Lake is not deep or cold enough for their liking.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Although I am not as articulate as others and I have been known to be a bit sarcastic at times::)
I didn't find the actual reference to tunnels in that article either.
I have heard reference to tunnels by some cryptozoologist types trying to explain Ogopogo though.

But I was curious and found this
http://www.kelownafishing.com/gallery_laketrout.html
I don't know if this is actually "Lake Okanagan" or if it's one of the other lakes in the Okanagan region.
(others who hang out there more often than I may be able to recognize the backgrounds)

I also found this:
http://www.ilec.or.jp/database/nam/nam-51.html
Where it refers to Oncorynchus nerka (in the FAUNA section) which is the latin name for lake trout I believe.

Hmmm:cheers:

(I'm now going to see who sent me a notification)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
WHat have they done to try to stop it? The creek that runs out of the south end of wood lake drains into okanagan...?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Although I am not as articulate as others and I have been known to be a bit sarcastic at times::)
I didn't find the actual reference to tunnels in that article either.
I have heard reference to tunnels by some cryptozoologist types trying to explain Ogopogo though.

But I was curious and found this
http://www.kelownafishing.com/gallery_laketrout.html
I don't know if this is actually "Lake Okanagan" or if it's one of the other lakes in the Okanagan region.
(others who hang out there more often than I may be able to recognize the backgrounds)

I also found this:
http://www.ilec.or.jp/database/nam/nam-51.html
Where it refers to Oncorynchus nerka (in the FAUNA section) which is the latin name for lake trout I believe.
Oncorynchus Nerka is Sockeye, and although they have not made it up to Okanagan Lake in decades, they are in the Columbia River drainage system. They have had good returns to Osoyoos Lake in recent years and we hope they one day return to Skaha and Okanagan.

I am pretty sure those Lakers in the photos have all come from Kalamalka.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
WHat have they done to try to stop it? The creek that runs out of the south end of wood lake drains into okanagan...?
I am not aware of any formal efforts to stop Char from migrating to Okanagan Lake via the small creeks near Vernon. The creek that runs out of the South end of Wood Lake runs into Duck Lake.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh right, I was thinking about that creek that runs down by the airport. I think that comes from up by postill or something. My mistake

1 - 20 of 68 Posts