BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or tried Okuma's new mooching reel?? It's in their 2012 catalog and is an upgrade of their Cavella reel that they had last year. I guess from the limited info I could find it solved the problems they had with the Cavela. I understand that it was tested in B.C. over the last couple of years.
The newer Okuma products are much better then the earlier reels/rods they made in the past.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Specs on the Okuma--PHYSICAL specs--are damn near exactly what the MR3 has. Spool size, bearings,
line capacity,ease of L/R changeover...lots of similarities.

Even the physical appearance.

And the Okuma is almost $400 so they must really believe they have a solid product.

I would love to hear any of the guys reviews who've used it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I seem to remember.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just talked to Okuma of America and it looks like the reel may come out sometime around Jan. If and when the reel comes out I will give it a good look and see if it would be worth the investment. All I can go on is what they have put out recently and what I have personally experienced is that their new products are excellent.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Tom,

I am in no position to question anyone's taste, opinion, decisions or budget, and I won't start here.

What I WILL offer is what my late Grandfather used to preach:

"Good shat ain't cheap, and cheap shat ain't good."

I get far less opportunity to fish for salmon than many of you northwesterners.

I know the MR3 is a bit of an expense, but once you realize, that properly maintained, it will last for
eons, (probably the rest of my fishing years, anyway) the decision to bite the bullet and make the investment is made easier.

Plus, once one battles and lands a salmon with it, they'll understand that it isn't just a reel,
it's an investment in one's own well being and happiness.

At least that's how I justified it. And I'm happy!

Cheers and good luck with your purchase Pal.:cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
While I like my MR3 reel very much (bought it slighty used for $400) I agree with all the points made in this review as I have experienced them all myself and I don't fish as much as a guide does. IMO for $600 this reel should not have any of these issues. So I think it is time that Islander fixed these problems by redesigning the reel.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The guide reels are non vented, you can order either way.
I prefer to use the drag when lowering rods on the rigger since I stack regularly (free spool was to loose).
But the creep bugs me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi guys, just to let you know even though this thread is a bit old I can tell you that I had the opportunity to test this reel along with a new Okuma mooching rod this winter for springs. I am involved with the development of this reel and we wanted to ensure this was bulletproof out of the gate. We did one last tweak on the drag after the last field test and the RAW reel should be available in the next couple of months. Yes the CMR had issues which we wanted to eliminate. The new RAW is completely redesigned, this is not a cosmetic only upgrade. The new reel is machined differently, has entirely different guts and the large springs causing most of the issues have been eliminated. If you have any questions please let me know. The new mooching rods will be based on the SST series and initial testing went very well with the guides we had try it. We showed this combo at the Tradex show in March and was well received by those who looked at it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to finally hear that the reel may soon come out on the market. When I talked to the techs. at Okuma they were not to helpful with information on the reel. I did send an email and made several recommendations, but never did hear back from them. I have the SST halibut rod and am very satisfied with how it has performed. Will the rods be coming out at the same time as the reels? I know Okuma has made great strides in their products, but their customer relations have not kept up with their product development. Keep us updated on the progress of the new rod and reel.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi tfish. The rods and reels should come out at the same time. Just got back from a week long meeting with Okuma to review new product introductions and we finalized the mooching products so now we just have to get the factory to run them. The SST rods have been one of the best selling rod categories for Okuma in the NW USA (OR, WA, AK) for the past few years. They are quality application-specific rods that easily compete with higher priced rods from other manufacturers. We are getting solid reviews on these rods in BC as they continue to get seeded into the market. Feel free to PM me with any Okuma product questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okuma RawII Mooching Reel

Has anyone seen or tried Okuma's new mooching reel?? It's in their 2012 catalog and is an upgrade of their Cavella reel that they had last year. I guess from the limited info I could find it solved the problems they had with the Cavela. I understand that it was tested in B.C. over the last couple of years.
The newer Okuma products are much better then the earlier reels/rods they made in the past.
I recently bought this reel and tested it while trolling and it worked just the way I wanted it too. Didn't land the big one but it worked out well.

Steve
:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Iv'e been using 3 Okumas for the last 2 years and they have performed very well. The drag lever is very easy to use, but also a bit tricky at times because of the sensitivity (lever goes from 0 to full drag in less than 108 degrees). It's really fast and easy to set the drag when going down on the rigger. When I was out in Ukee last time I was fishing alone and had a big spring on and the wind was blowing hard. When I went to net the spring, I had my arm in the pulling the rod way back so I could get the fish close to the boat. I accidently hit the drag lever with my shoulder and sproing, the drag went to 0 and the rod snapped back with a major backlash. I thought the line snapped at first, but I realized that the fish was still on. I got the fish to netting distance again only to catch one of the hooks from the hootchie on the net without getting the spring fully in the net & good buy fish.
I have an Islander MR3 in my setup and that reel seems like it has a smoother drag, but you have to turn the drag knob a fair amount to change the drag settings. Overall, I like both of the reels, you just have to take care with the drag lever.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I think I would spend the extra $150 and get the real thing rather then a copy.
I have been converted-

Ever use an Abel moocher?---I prefer it to the MR3--
And I didn't know a thing about it until a member here --a good BC guy---bought one, then got rid of all his Islanders.
He raved about them, so I invested. Not cheap, but once you play a fish on it, you don't care.

Smoother, more responsive drag--it's on a ratchet, unlike the MR3, so you know by the number of clicks where you are.

I know Canadians are fiercely patriotic and loyal--but the U.S. made Abel is a peach.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have 2 abels on my boat. And now I have 2 buddies that picked up 2 each. Simply the best. My MR2's are spares now. I run a trophy tyee on my third rigger.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have 2 abels on my boat. And now I have 2 buddies that picked up 2 each. Simply the best. My MR2's are spares now. I run a trophy tyee on my third rigger.
I just bought the basic black--you can spend another couple of hundred getting different colors--
Expensive enough in black----and the fish don't care-.

Create your own here:
http://builder.abelreels.com/mooching/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts