BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never fished bass in my life. i saw a fishing program that showed the excellent bass fishing in the area. I am heading up there and would like to try the fishing in the spring. anything info - anything. lures, flies, location, bait?? it's all new to me

· Registered
306 Posts
I had lot's of luck in southern ontario for large and smallmouth.. with rapala floating crankbaits.. in orange and also perch patterns.. these worked well in the shallower weedy areas.. a couple twitches after the lure hits the water and a slow retrieve can entice a strike.. it's good to cast right to the edge of a lilly pad area our an area with dense weed cover or logs etc.. power bait jigs also work well in some situations,, pumkinseed and chartreuse! I would like to try bass on the fly as i've never done that and i bet it's fun!

· Registered
897 Posts
I used to fish for them many years ago in Onterrible ;D Always had the best luck using top water baits like Hula Poppers, Jitter Bugs and Crazy Crawlers, the takes were always exsplosive. As far as live bait I used live baby mice (pinkies), dew worms and crayfish. Spinners will also work especially with some yellow on them.

· Registered
290 Posts
oh man back in my childhood era, my father used to take us up there lots of time fishing for bass. bass was pretty much what he only fished when we lived there since he claimed it tasted very good fried or something. i haven't tasted bass for 15 years now, although this might be a useless post but it brings me memory when my dad found 3 huge carps stranded in a small pool of water. they were probably not that big since i was 5 years old telling my dad to get them. my father and his two other friends chased the carps and caught 3 of them by hand. too bad i haven't been back to the lake for 18 years now. take some pictures when u get there, i'd like to see how things are like now. :cheers:

oh, im sure there are pikes in that lake too cause my father brought one home and it was pretty darn big.

· Registered
10 Posts
Re: BASS fishing

You cannot go wrong throwing a tube jig(heavy salt impregnated ones are best), rigged on an exposed jig in open water areas(smallies) or rigged 'texas style'(weedless) in weedier areas, or around docks/wood for largies. There are some great largie and smallmouth fishing opp's to be had in those lower Okanogan Lakes, perhaps some of the best/under fished bass fishing in Canada, but water-skiers and jet-skies(pesky water-nats) can be heavy in the warmer months.
Al P.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
fishing program that showed the excellent bass fishing in the area
That was those clowns from FISH TV and they were fishing the North side of Osoyoos Lake. Spinner baits cast towards shore work well but don't let the TV show fool you. They were there for a week to get those hogs they landed.

· Banned
934 Posts
actaully you wold be very surpirsed how good the bass fishing in ossoyos really is i go upo there 2-3 times a year to fish for bass and it amazing up thereif you know what you are doing the best place to fish is hains point wiht either a drop shot rig or fish a tube on the bottom

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Overnighting on Osoyoos on the motorcycle trip in June....Is there any shore fishing available. I always take my collapsible rod and my mini mitchell and a few spinners with me...What do I need for bass?.....................Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Would love to try some Okanagan bass fishing, maybe this summer I'll take my big open North River up and ply those waters, anyone care to expand on where to go and what best to use.

Seems soft plastics and drop shotting are good bets, what about jigs with add ons, frog legs etc.....

· Registered
67 Posts
fishortho said:
Overnighting on Osoyoos on the motorcycle trip in June....Is there any shore fishing available. I always take my collapsible rod and my mini mitchell and a few spinners with me...What do I need for bass?.....................Ortho 8)
You can fish either the bridge by the holiday inn for smallmouth with soft plastics, spinnerbait and even topwater baits. fish both sides but the south side of the bridge might be better.

You can also fish Selano bay for largemouth from shore. soft plastic worms, spinnerbaits and frog topwater baits work great in there.

Cheers!

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.