BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some help from the members here.

I am planning with a friend to haul my boat to the Island for a single day of fishing – it will be a whirlwind trip but with our various family and professional commitments, it is realistically all we can put together so obviously we want to make the most of it.

I have an 18 foot bow rider with two power downriggers. I have about 30 years boating and fishing experience so I am confident taking the boat anywhere and I am confident that we’ll be able to make the right choices about weather related issues and tackle selection.
What I really need help with is suggestions for destination. We are thinking Alberni Inlet or Campbell River (possibly with a side order of French creek).
I would be grateful if you would offer your suggestions.
Thanks
PS I have launched out of Campbell River and fished there extensively, but never out of Port Alberni – so I would appreciate advice on launch ramps there.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Is this just one day, there and back excursion or are you doing an overnighter to be at wherever you launch at first light. That's a long haul doing 2 ferries during the day....travel to your fishing area.....launching and then spending the day on the water.

There is plenty of space at the launch ramps in Alberni.....lots of parking but I can imagine it may be a bit of a zoo getting your boat in at first light this time of the year.

If things start to pick up in the Victoria/Sooke area that may be worth looking at as well; and there's also Renfrew.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be a one day round trip - first and last ferry. We have to take what we can get and this is it for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Side order of French Creek eh?
Boat launch is excellent , fish are deep there 150-225ft not uncommon.
Nice and close to the ferry though.
The guys at French Creek marina store will be able to give a local flavor of the fishing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if I was going there and back in a day, ( that is a real stretch though),wanted to catch fish and didn't want to go to far I'd go to Port Alberni. Sockeye is good right now and if you are lucky enough to have the weather you might get a shot at Pill Point for a spring or two. Lots of launches right in town or at China Creek 10 km or so down the Bamfield road.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I was going there and back in a day, ( that is a real stretch though),wanted to catch fish and didn't want to go to far I'd go to Port Alberni. Sockeye is good right now and if you are lucky enough to have the weather you might get a shot at Pill Point for a spring or two. Lots of launches right in town or at China Creek 10 km or so down the Bamfield road.
Thanks. The is exactly the type of information I am looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts