BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once when coming to a run about half way up the road on the Copper we actually came upon a run that had not seen a fisherman in several minutes. And this was during prime time when a few of the Steelhead were willing to look in close for holding water.

We got down on our hands and knees and gave thanks to the fishing GODS! And proceeded to carefully approch the holding water which stretched all the way to within 10 feet of the bank on this particularly great little run.

My brother looked at me and said in a graceful and kind way "you go ahead in close first". He was generous to a fault and knew that my single hander had a really good chance for a change.

The bug gently drifted beautifully over the bucket several times perfectly presented and carefully before any sign of the main line.

Nothing, and again a little further out nothing.
So a quick change over to a little skinny purple special was quickly made to make certain nothing was lurking in this obvious spot.

Nothing willing to move was. So being a considerate fisherman I moved down and let my brother and his friend step in above. They carefully began exploring the other sections of holding water with gentle snap tee and single spey work. For them also nothing.

The water temp was great the timing was perfect and there were lots of fish everywhere on the river.

We finished fishing the run when we realised that another fisherman had been there the whole time.
He came out seeing that we were leaving and with his 11 foot switch rod and a big smile said "ALLOW, you not going to be fished?"

He was dressed in almost tradition Austrian except for the waders, which I am sure if he removed would have revealed leaderhosen!
We understood his broken hinglish and saw that the gear that he was using was rather unique.

Very interesting I thought. He had been there in stealth mode watching the action all along and we did not even see him!

He showed me his secret weapon, a strange little clouser like bug with a wonderfully engineered propeller controlled by incredibly beautiful gun metal coloured tiny ball bearing beads. It was a sight to behold and he told me it was a Österreich buzzerink buggen. The engineering of this bug could have taken place in a Messerschmitt factory it was that incredibly well made and compact!

We went back to camp, had some good scotch and decided to move on other places as it was obvious that the pounding was to heavy and we were not that worried about actually hooking fish. There was always other great stuff to at least explore.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds like fun, looking forward to visiting the Copper next month for a while. Cool story thanks for sharing.
Shnooks EH. Might be ok don't know the regs the creek might be closed for Shnooks . Might be a better bet on the main water south of that though if you have a sled and fish a big fat leaded chicken. Regs are the mouth is closed last I looked so the big creek is the ticket early on, if I am not mistaken. 13 foot 9-10 weight minimum with a fly rod though unless you want to floss the fish by having to point the rod at them.

A little more active and hot than Vedder White Fish though and they will certainly bust you up good if you bank fish in a spot where you cannot follow them! LOL Steelies won't be there till late August at the earliest. So will a tonne of Hermans and a few even from Texas with fighter plane bugs and the like though. YUK

Good to see they changed things and made some more room for residents though!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I always check the regs no worries there it is open. It is an old favourite of mine so all is well trip planning wise. We will be hunting nookies with the 2 hander for a couple weeks the Z, the Mat and others are on the hit list. The main stem will be as well just a little further up stream.

Thanks again for the report and for the tips :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.