BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I managed to hook and land my first coho on the fly, however afterwards on the way back to the truck I fell and broke my Loop 5eight reel at the reel seat. So now the wife has offered to get me a new fly reel for my Birthday. So just one question, what other reels would you suggest in the $200 price range? I would like to move to a metal reel as I am pretty sure if my loop was a carbon fibre type it wouldn't have broken. Drag would be nice but not a neccesity.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Bauer JM. I am not sure of the price but it is around the 200 mark I think. Indestructible, good warranty and the drag system can not be beat. I had a few sages and didn't like them at all. I have tried the Ross reels and thought those were good for the price but now I only use Bauer’s, extremely dependable and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You don't have to spend alot, but I'd also say head into M&Y and check out the selection, they've got pretty much any reel in any price range you'd be looking at. Once you man handle them you can feel the difference in drag, tolerences, an weight. I like the Bauers also, and the older Ross reels, there are a ton of different ones out there. So best bet is to talk to the pro's.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks for the input guys, however it seems as though I will be getting into another Loop Evptech 5eight as the price is right, thanks again Berg :peace:

I will be upgrading to a new reel later next year, much later. But when that happens all your input wont go to waste. However by that time I can save enough pennies for the Evotech G3 :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nothing wrong with most reels made, As for the last ones mentioned, the greys reel is handy for the spools. And because BFR reels aren't around they are the next best thing, not real solid, but ok. The Dragonfly Kamloops M/C is decent, it just depends on how much you pay for one, they are a good solid reel, just nothing special. What it comes down to is how much can you afford and what sort of use will it get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.