BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Doc Spratley is best known as a trolling fly. Widely used throughout BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan, the fly has commonly been responsible for hooking some large trout while being dragged behind a slow moving vessel. The Doc Spratley is often used as a searching pattern in many interior BC lakes. While the Spratley doesn't imitate any specific insect, it does possess qualities of a leech or dragonfly nymph and is commonly used during sedge hatches.

The pattern was named after Dr. Donald A. Spratley of Washington, and first appeared in the collection of patterns called "Flies of the Northwest", compiled by the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club. The pattern was developed by Dick Prankard around 1949 and named the Doc Spratley after a visit from the doctor in Dick's fly shop during the flies creation. It's been said that the Dr. was somewhat saddened that his name became best known for a fly pattern and not for his work as a dentist, which he had devoted his life to.

The Doc Spratley works well for lakes and is trolled using a density compensated type 2 or 3 line with a 9 foot leader. This set-up works well for boats and especially float tubes in 10-20 feet of water. You can kick away from the fly keeping control and watching for strikes. You will want the fly to be positioned close to the bottom. Vary your speed to find fish.

I'm not sure of copy right laws etc. so, if you would like to find out more about the fellow who wrote this, with accompanying pictures of how to tie the fly, go here:
http://www.flytyingbug.com/threads/doc-spratley.133/

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had great success on the good ol doc spratley. i find when there are no takers and the fishing is slow, or trying out a new lake the doc is a great go to fly to throw out there. i find personally the green or brown ones work great. mostly in part because they can resemble so many different food types for trout.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I've enjoyed some great days in my youth chucking black spratley's with gold ribbing on a full sink line and stripping it in with 3 short strips and a pause...seems this success was always early in the season, but it was success nonetheless... :thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its a great searching pattern. I always have them in red, green, and black. I wouldnt leave home without them. When I get to a lake that I dont know I always troll to begin with. I learn the lake. I always have two rods out and will usually have a spratley on one of them. My other one is a carey. Carey's are very similiar. Spratley near the bottom and the Carey at or near the surface.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.