BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it that every time i make plans to head to the island, it's the mother of all windstorms? was originally going to leave boxing day afternoon, and stay over at Murphy's, but after the difficulty in obtaining ferry reservations, and the fact that Ortho was not going to arrive until the 5:15 am. ferry on the 27th, i decided that I would forego the extra night, and travel the same ferry as him. got to tsawassen to high winds, but i told Ortho not to worry, i'd already checked on environment canada's website, and everything looked calm on the island. ha, ha, ha! we were told that the ferry may not sail, great news. when we did leave, it was wild. i honestly thought that we were going to turn around and go back. as we entered the cafeteria, things got pretty interesting. first, we were given a quick lesson in how to walk with trays of food and coffee, the 10 feet to the nearest table. we then tried to calculate the dollar value of all of the dishes that were falling off shelves in and around the kitchen.we then experienced the famous "double pass" docking attempt, which brought us to be about 45 minutes late in leaving the ferry. wind was absolutely howling as we drove up the island in the bright sunshine. arrived in the fog to port alberni and hooked up with Matt from Murphy's for the short trip to the boat. was a little disappointing to not get out on the river until 9:45 am. but that's how it goes. on the upside it did not seem that there were too many boats on the river, which surprised all of us. water was running high, but the visibility was over 6 ft! we began throwing roe bags at every nook and cranny below the bucket. not a sniff, all the way to the bucket, not quite what any of us were expecting.finally, Matt took us up the bucket, and into the land of the artificials. holy [email protected], i have never seen more bank fishers in my life, well ok, the Vedder doesn't count. add to this, the pontoons, was that you Fishaholic??? and a couple of drift boats, and our advantage was lost.fished all the way to the falls pool, with nary a single hit.threw out the anchor, and began to fish the main pool, Ortho with pink worm, and me, at Matt's insistance, a large wool presentation. after another 20 or thirty casts, i knew that it was time for a change of plans. upon entering the boat that morning with two rods, i was greeted with disdain by our emminent guide, "what the hell is that?" he asked, looking at my 10ft med convergence, with it's little old abu cardinal 104 spinning reel, and a lovely little pink jig, with a couple of red beads. no, it wasn't one of Rod's, those arrived yesterday pm. a nice little surprise, but, i digress. for a moment, as my float hit the water, i felt that perhaps i had offended both he, and my good friend Ortho! :eek: :eek: :eek: took a couple of casts, but guess what? float down, fish on ;D ;D ;D felt like a good sized fish, and to be honest, i was lucky to keep it out of the heavy stuff. when our first glimpse of the fish occured, Matt yelled out, "nice sized summer" battled patiently, as i was using 12# mainline, and 8# leader, and well, lo and behold, a wicked looking #16 pounder in the boat! ;D ;D ;D the biggest steely of my short career, and Matt said, the biggest so far this year in his boat! all made possible by the "go to" pink jig. took about 10 minutes, and Ortho's superior talent was rewarded with the strike. quickly setting the hook, and working the fish, with his sleek 10 1/2 ft. Loomis. mood is relaxed, skunk is off, and we're anxiously awaiting Ortho's fish. looks like a good sized fish, being expertly brought to hand, when, damn, who put those branches in the water, and how did the fish find them ??? ??? ??? fish off, and all goes silent, except for the twist of the flask, for a soothing tug of founders reserve. we finish pounding the run, and as we move over the area, about 20 steelhead scatter beneath us. CRAP! worked the area long and hard, to no avail. decide to head back down below the bucket. out comes the roe, and we hit every piece of water between the bucket and the Sproat. nothing.by this time, i can tell that the normally good natured Ortho is getting a little impatient. we quickly set up the IV drip, founders to the rescue once again, and no i do not let my friends drink alone ;D Matt figures to hit the Sproat, so up we go, get almost to the falls, damn, another boat. we work our way down, a couple of misses??? or rocks, and finally reach the confluence. drop anchor, and as Ortho said later, fished some of the unlikeliest looking water that he'd seen. i have fished that spot before, and as Hotrod will attest, it invariably holds fish, and it eats aluminum boats!!! doesn't take long, hard to watch your float behind standing waves, but float disappears, and luckily i was in the " slow fishing, i'm not missing anything mode" and set the hook. the entire boat breathes a sigh of relief. and the battle is on. for about 5 minutes anyhow. just as i mention how nice it is to feel a fish on the line, it goes slack. laughter all around, well, i sort of laughed. :(not long after, Ortho, following a nice drift, sets the hook, and lands a nice little 9# chrome hatchery beauty, welcome to the river, mr. fish, and please bite again! i drop one in right behind the boat, and freespool, and about 60 ft off the boat, the float disappears, with lightning swiftness, ha ha ha, i set the hook, to a series of violent headshakes, rolls and runs. land a nice hatch fish, same genetic material as Ortho's. bonked, for dinner NY's eve. a few minutes later, another hit, another hatch, this one back in the drink, hopefully to become someone elses first steely. left shortly thereafter, as twilight overtook a beautiful day. yes, Rib, I'll post the pictures, Ortho has the shot of the big one, and i'm sure he'll post that one. oh yeah, one last thing, hit the ferry terminal at 8:00, reservation for the 9:00 in hand, told that it wouldn't be leaving until 10:30, actually left at 11:15 pm. home by 1:30 am. yikes, a 22 hour day.
Here are some pics from the last 2 trips. sorry about the dates, but the camera suffered a little permanent rain damage last year.
]

thanks for the help, Rib

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Re: Ortho and ogo's Stamp River adventure

Well that was certainly not as action packed as your last trip eh? Sounds like you had fun though. I can't believe how busy the river is right now.

Good to see your pink jig getting the skunk out of the boat. I like the Beau Mac (sp?) varieties. Lots of fun with a light spinning outfit.

One question, where is the bucket in relation to the Gun Club run?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts

Great read Ogo...sorry to hear the fish weren't cooperating. Sounds like you guys still had a good time though, that's my kind of IV...why do you think the fishing turns off like that? Seems every year we all go through a day or two where we know there are plenty of fish in the river, but they seem to be so tight lipped, it's like we pissed off our girlfriends and they aren't giving us the time of day until we make amends. Maybe it was that big low pressure system that was moving in behind those winds you mentioned...? Anyways, great read, look at it this way, trips like this one fuel the fire for a "go back and get revenge trip"... ;D Got any pics? ;D ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

the Bucket AKA the girl guide falls, is the boulder strewn rapids above the gun club, actually i believe that it's between the gun club, and the general store???

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Sounds like a great trip ...... nice report. Can't wait to see the pics.

GOFISH 8)

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts

nah, I made the mistake of drifting from the gun range to service road, had a twitch at the confluence but thats about all she wrote. One of our 'toons was too big to slide down to the falls. Im thinkin next time we'll try the Sproat or the top half of the Stamp

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

Ogobogo pretty well summed up the day, however, being ever so modest, he overlooked a couple of small details ;) Firstly, he has converted me from my McClennans to Founders......seems the fish enjoy the nose. The McC is a bit smoky for those steelies! :-\
Secondly, Ogo's learning curve has approached breakneck speed. For a guy who just started fishing a year or so ago, he should be giving lessons! He missed a few fish in the story, and they were all his.....Point is, I'm really glad there were no bets on 'cause I would have gotten spanked really bad!!. :eek:......Great day on the water, tho, and we did get the rods bent. Great weather and company. ;D
I did get my first look at the rapids called the bucket, and even with many years of whitewater canoing behind me, I think under the present conditions, I would not shoot this area in a pontoon unless you have many hours of grade 2 and grade 3 whitewater experience. The water above and below would be handled with experienced oarsmen without difficulty, but I would NOT recommend this river to beginners. You could be in a lot of trouble in a hurry............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

The stamp once again eh...sounds like an incredible day! I know what you mean by being on the ferry during a good storm, Yikes! Good to hear you guys got into some fish, and with a jig! Ogo, we will have to hit up some water just north of the fraser this season ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ortho, don't be so hard on yourself! if you get upset, and won't fish with me anymore, how will I steal all of your secrets? ;D I swear, it's really just beginner's luck! ;D OK, maybe I eat, breathe, sleep, and drink it! twas a great day, considering the fishing was a little slow.you're making me sweat over that photo though, there are probably a bunch of skeptics out there, and with that fish only being out of water for about 15 seconds, I hardly remember what it looked like!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
No worries........I will make you suffer for at least a few more minutes, tho' How can I get upset? Nothin' sweeter than seein' a hard workin' guy nail some 'steel!...especially when it's one of your fishing buddies!
Vedder/chwk tomorrow!! ...........Yehawww!!......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Great pics and story fellas! You guys must be hardcore steelhead fisherman to put in such a long day...................I'd do the same in a heartbeat.

Hotrod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts