BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A day on the Squamish.

I don't think this is an official entry, however Ortho took the time write about his latest experience on the Squish, so I'm going to post it, in hopes it'll get the ball rolling...Nice going Ortho :) Sure wish I could've been there with my fly rod in hand.

Finder :wink:

Fishin’the Squ’ish

The sound of the 5am alarm was really hard on the ears today as a late nighter kept me from my usual 6-7hrs sleep. I had packed most of my stuff the night before, so I didn’t have too much to do with the heavy fog hanging around in the yard as well my head.
I picked up HunterJ and we hit the highway to Squamish for a day on the flow. My spies in the area gave me some pretty good reports; although it was mentioned with the high freezing levels the best fishing would be in the early morning hours prior to the river silted up again in the afternoon.
We arrived at my favorite run to find absolutely no one there which I thought was a bit strange, since this run is known as a good producer. I quickly set up the 6 wt. and got into a nice rhythm on the run throwing some new flies recently received from the fly swap. I worked the run thoroughly before deciding to switch to the 8wt. T & T and see if I could fool a few of the really bright chum I had seen roll lower in the run.
Well, for this rod, I rigged it with a fly I had tied by a fellow in Terrace who specializes in Spring & Chum flies. It didn’t take long before I had my first of several beautiful fresh run chum on the beach. The first two were bucks, and a few technical difficulties with the camera produced no pictures, unfortunately. But as you can see, several nice fish were caught and a couple of fish will need some dental work to remove the flies they snapped off my leader.
HunterJ was tossing gear most of the morning and after losing several fish (one right at the beach) he did manage to bag this beauty of 12lbs or so that brought a smile to his face!
The river, as predicted, rose a few inches during the morning and by lunchtime things were pretty much done as the river really silted up So, we headed for home via the local watering hole and another adventure on one of our beautiful BC rivers came to a close.
Thanks, Jim for sharing the day with me, and getting some shots of these magnificent and without a doubt the strongest salmon you can catch locally.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well, it must have been either the karma for the clean-ups lately, or the new lucky Sage hat that I took out for the first time today. But we had an ok day. ThickRick, Merc and Myself had a rather early morning and made it out to the River before 6am, and were plaesed to see none in sight, but surely they would be showing up soon, wouldn't they?? So we sat around for a Half hr or so, and watch some shooting stars. Anyhow, when we could find our way out to the river, I went down river, Merc stayed in pretty much where we came in and Ricky headed up river. Hadn't fish this part of the river before. But I had a feeling there should be something around somewhere, we just had to fund them.
As I could no longer see Rick and Merc was off in the distance , I stumbled upon a peice of water that looked like it may just be fishy!! Then a couple of fish rolled, so I though, this would be as good as anyplace to start. I bait up with some roe, and toss one out there. Within seconds, flaot down and fish on. But it turned out to be about a 14" Hatchery Steelgead Smolt. So carefull back it went, figured I would try that again, and bam, another fish on, this one much bigger. A good fight ensued and what would up coming to shore was about a 13 lb Doe Chum in really nice clean shape. But as I don't have a smoker this nice fish went back as well. Well, at this point Merc is working his way down, I see more fish starting to roll, so I wave him over. About 15 min later, RIck appears from around the Corner as well and is making his way down to us.
Well now we are all back together and watch fish rolling trying to see what they may actually hit. I had gotten a hit on roe for a while, so I switch it up to a little creation I came up with a couple years ago. At this point Rick is into a Fish, a decent sized Chum, so we give him a hand with it and get our lines back in the water. Next cast fish on , this one is a Bar Chrome Spring Jack, a real good fighter and felt good on the 2106. Then what do you know, Merc is into a fish. Then Ricky is into a fish and so on and so on. Anyhow, feeling good about the morning, we figured it was time to head over to the clean up. Between us, we had hooked into 12 fish by about 8:45. SO was a nice morning. Oh and noone else did show up at the Run we were fishing. A real nice surprise!!
Part 2 of the day.
After the Clean-up and some Burger's and Hotdogs, we decided to do some more fishing. Where to go though........ Easy answer, back to where we had had some success earlier. AS it was pushing 1pm, we didn't hold out much hope, just wanted to give it another look. So we get there and within a couple min we see a fish rise, then shortly after that, FISH ON, Rick is into one. AS he is fighting that one, BAM, Coho on for me, but I didn't get a good hookset as I was paying attention to Rick and his fish. Coho came to the top and was gone shortly after. Anyhow, Rick lands his fish, I believe that one was a Spring. Then Merc in into another, A spring which he fights for a while and heads down river. Was a nice fish. So I throw out another cast since Merc is out of Range, and BAM fish on again, this one is another fiesty Bar of a Spring. After a short while we both get in our Fish. Mercs 20lb Chromer gets a Rock Shower and mine gets to go for a swim. Shortly after that Rick is into another one, this time the fish is fighting a bit different, and wouldn't you know he has a nice Wild Coho on about 6-7 lbs. AS Merc was trying to get a pic, the fish makes a run for it and succeeds!! No pic for that one.!! Anyhow, it wasn't long before we were all into fish once again and this continued right up until we left at about 4 pm. Merc Got a beauty 8 or so lb Wild Coho and Rick clocked in with a 6-7 lb hatchery Ho. Oh yeah, Rick also kept a beautiful Chrome Spring of about 18 or so lbs. Merc Got another Chrome Spring Jack of about 5-6 lbs, I lost about 4 Coho!! And Let everything I got go except for a nice 6 lb Chrome Spring Jack. In total in the afternoon, we were into about 30 more fish. Lost count actually!! :shock: We had 3 double headers and a Triple header for a short time. The last fish of the day was a mean Thumb Burning 20+lb Incredibly chrome Spring which was a blast to fight. Everything was taken on either Roe or scented wool creations. :wink:
Here are a couple choice pics from the day!

·
Registered
736 Posts
One more for good measure!! :lol:
Headed out on Tuesday to a river that a lot know of, there was only about 6 guys there on a real long stretch of river. Fishing started off slow, but after an hr or so, was able to figure it out. Man can these things hit, and the fight is AWESOME!! :shock: This was one of about 5 nice 17-20 lb clones!! :) Also picked up a real nice shinny Doe about 12 lbs!! Was wet and cold but well worth it!! :wink:

Short but sweet!! :lol:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
OK so how many people have gotten their COHO limit this year ????

well my girl and i got ours this saturday at a river i will keep nameless :wink: some of you will know it :) :)

here are our nice JACK Coho we got

she got hers on a blue and silver lure and i got my two on a muddler

We also caught a couple others at another near by river but they were smaller and could not keep them and i lost a bigger coho there as well on her lure :cry:

tight lines everyone

HOOK

P.S. yes i realize they look like trout however they are coho trust me the first one we got i took a very close look at before we took it out of the water not that it matters cause they are all hatchery anyhow :D:D:D

·
Registered
816 Posts
Jack Coho, I never got one till last year. In the spring blue backs but a mature coho in August that in the ocean is less than then inches. What the [email protected]@? Are there any oldy's like me that have caught Jack Coho in the ocean?
I thought they fed on shrimp and invertrabets untill the third summer and went wild on fish from Jan to August... very easy to catch.
I don't know and would like too.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice lookin fish Hook, care to share the...umm.. general location of that nice piece of H20? That looks like a great place to fly cast

·
Registered
247 Posts
pics are good in a story remember "a picture is worth a thousand words". had a thousand word essay in school once and handed in a picture for it. teacher asked what i was doing and i said a pic is worth a thousand words GOT AN "A" and was told it would only work once.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finder's long awaited day on the water.

I always find it funny, how it can be a chore to drag myself out of bed at 5 am in the morning, hop in my truck, and do the one eyed bob all the way to work. But when it comes to a day on the water, I have no problem going about this task wide eyed and bushy tailed. No matter how sleep deprived I'am. I think it's the anticipation of the day and possibilitys that lay ahead, that gets the blood flowing to start out the morning...A fresh XL Double Double from Timmy's always helps too. :lol: :lol:
The night before plans were mapped out between FlyFish'n Magician and myself, to hit a trib that has been producing good results for anlgers willing to go out in the drab weather we've had lately. Thanks again Ortho!. 8) The plan on tactics would have Magician sporting his drift gear, (due to his sore arm tossing the fly rod on the Squish the day before), and myself tossing my fly rod. A time and meeting place was set, and shortly after our rondevous the following morning we soon found our selves at the intended destination, greeted by the typical weather fall has to offer. On our arrival we were pleasantly surprised that we were the first ones there, and the rain was at a slow drizzel, but a good chill was in the air. We quickly scrambled down to our chosen local hoping to beat out the creeping day light. Not knowing what to expect when it came to water conditions, (as it had rained off and on the evening before), I packed along my ultra light drift outfit as a back up in case the water was not fishable on the fly. Once we had started fishing, I thought it would be nice to start out casting a colorado blade in hopes of working the cob webs out of my seldom used terminal gear. Imedietly I ran into problems with the reel when my worm gear refused to work, and in turn taking the better part of the first hour trying to fix it. In the mean time Magician, had hooked and lost his first coho of the day, shaking the hook after a surface roll. Unfazed he set out to repeat what had just happened. Sure enough it didn't take him long to fool another drifting wool. This time the willing combatant was a scrappy little hatchery coho jack. By this time I'd had enough trying to play mister fix it, and ditched my blade set up in favour of my trusty stand by. Ahhh now I'm at home. :) A few hauls later and I notice FFM is now into his third fish of the day, another taker on peach wool. In true coho fasion, it put on a great surface show displaying that famous coho roll. Opting for a change in my offering, I select an egg pattern of the matching color, hoping I could improve my situation and get a bent rod of my own. A few casts later I got the result I was looking for. On the end of my line, another scrappy hatchery coho jack similar to Magician's from earlier. Not big by any means, but just as satifying after spending three weeks no where near a river. After tending to that evening's supper, :D I set back out in search of something larger. Turning to my task at hand I look down river only to spot Hook and Wagon Master heading our way toting fly rods. Pleasantrys were exchanged as we have fished together before, followed by the chit chat on tactics and reports that fishermen exchange. We soon found our selves fishing side by side, not even realizing till a while later that Marko was just up river from us where he had been since the early am. It seemed we had a mini BCFR fishout happening. Up until this point Magician had his mojo going landing a few and lossing a few other ho's, while things were spotty at best for us fly guys. But it didn't last long as a few other feather chuckers joined us, and soon the fish wanted to play. Under the chilly windy gusts and rain, which was now pounding down on us, we worked the darkening water. After laying out a long cast and quickly mending, my fly line straightend to which I lifted my rod tip. I knew right away after a quick surface flip, I was into my next coho, and in an instant I was into my backing after a determined run to the other side of the flow. The numbness in my fingers was now a thing of the past. A hard faught battle followed, and I was pleasantly surprised at realizing the size of my catch after Magicain noticed it and quickly hopped off the rock he'd been standing on to help me land her. He hugged that rock religiously :lol: :lol: :wink: , so I knew it had to be a good one. In the end a big shoulderd hatchery fatty of 10+ pounds was tailed. My biggest fly caught coho in some time. My day was now completely made. This was just the beggining, and it was now WagonMaster and Hook taking turns over the next while, dueling with coho of their own, and WM landing a beauty. Smiles all around through out our day, pictures were snapped all the while the water was soon turning before us. However before it did, a few more fish were speraticly hooked landed and lost, by us and a few others on the fly. Mid day had now come upon us, the action had slowed down to a minimum, when Hook and WagonMaster had departed. The elements were starting to turn for the worse. After a quick chat and introducing our selfs to Marko, we were not far behind. Leaving our destination in my rear view mirror, Magician and I spent the ride back to his car warming up and going over the events of the day. Another great trip etched in the fishing diary. Thanks fellas for another great time.

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Great report FF. As usual - it was great to be out on the water with you! Wagonmaster and Hook - it was great to see you guys out there.

So Kev, if you are selected to win a prize for Ortho's fishing contest, perhaps Wagonmaster, Hook, and I should draw assists! :lol: :lol: Ortho deserves one too! :wink:

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Great day all in all , We couldn't have planned it any better ! :D Buddy released a super crome wild buck ho
in the 9lb range, as well as a couple of small jack hatchies, and kept a nice 7-8lb doe. I on the other hand lost
a couple of ho's and released an older gent just for the pleasure. Wow your right about the sleep thing thou
finder , I can barely sleep the night before and rarein to go the next morning but man am I wiped now. The
anticipation is almost as fulfilling as the act itself. Thanks for the warm handshakes and we'll see ya soon ~!

Cheers ...Marko

PS. nice pics , you managed to get my back in a couple of them LOL !!!

PSS. Oh one more thing FF , I think you might be a close runner for the rod and reel w/ that report ! 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Better bring a crow bar tomorrow to lever yourself into your spot......... :wink:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts