BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently changed the "Guest" policy! Before, a guest could not view anything but the first page without registering. Now a guest can view and read everything but the fishing reports section. If they want to read your fishing reports they have to be a member! Is this ok with everyone? I think it will be better for the site, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Sounds like a great idea Rick. They still need to be members in order to post tho', right? A number of us (myself included) should consider even more carefully what we write and how we write it under these new conditions. Thanks.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
It certainly will make me re-read what I have written before I post it, I'll consider the content somewhat. I think it is a good idea. With respect to the new guest policy and the additional rules for member posting, I had always thought that these rules were pretty much the way most conducted themselves anyways, but recognize that some took advantage of that. So, I think its a great idea Rick, I think it will allow the site to grow...As for guests, well, consider this, for my curiosities sake...

I have always wondered...Is it within the sites means to give everyone a little test before they are allowed to become a member with reading and posting priveleges, I don't know the specifics of what tools these sites have available to them, but am curious how far it can be taken...? If it were an option everyone were interested in, would it be feasible to have some pop up screen with a questionare come up when people want to register on this site? For example, a pop up screen with some questions regarding forum posting ettiquette, fishing ethics, sportfishing regs, etc, etc, etc...I know it's a bit of a pipe dream, but I just wonder how feasible that would be, and how having something like that would alter the BCFR site? Would it make people be a little more conscientious and educate themselves before they could enter the site? or would it cause less people to visit the site because they wouldn't want to bother? Would it result in this site receiving more recognition because of the unique nature of its registration policy? or might it cause people to learn the very basic values we all appreciate in sportfishing, causing them to take some pride in the fact they passed the prereq, thus giving them a sense of something to stand for?
Not likely. The last one anyways, but I am curious, if we wanted to do something like that , could it be done?
Someone who is registered and passed the questionare once, would not have to do it again, someone who visits, but doesn't register, would have to write the questionare every time they visited until such time they registered for the site.
Just food for thought,
rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want it to become anything other than it is already darcycote...I am simply thinking out loud. I don't think it is unreasonable to throw ideas around. I am not trying to sell an idea, just explore one.
rib

·
Registered
318 Posts
i follow the way your drifting.but i cant help but thinking,there are almost 2500 reg. members,but the amount of regular posters is probably about 3%.whats the point of a test?why not more opinions,reports from the silent majority?intimidation?,fear of ridicule?just food for thought.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
true true...but guests couldn't read or post before so we aren't losing anything anyways... really it might be an opportunity to make them think...? maybe in writing some stupid test they might feel like they belong... It might also draw some members that are a little more passionate about the sport, thus they might be the types who post more...let's toss this around a little further...I wonder what the possibilities are....of course we would all have to write the test too...it wouldn't be a hard one I imagine, just your basics.
rib

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Maybe in order to keep thier membership they are required to post a certain amount of posts over a given
amount of time in order to keep thier account active and open like a bank.
I think this way we can tap into this huge resource that we're sitting on!!!
Lookin for ideas.......Marko... :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
marko said:
Maybe in order to keep thier membership they are required to post a certain amount of posts over a given
amount of time in order to keep thier account active and open like a bank.
I think this way we can tap into this huge resource that we're sitting on!!!
Lookin for ideas.......Marko... :D
Good point..or even to log in to keep an account active. This is something that has been dicussed briefly, perhaps to promote more usage and less lurking. However Bergler will be able to give you a better heads up, to why it would or wouldn't work.

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think if you read then you reply even if it is just a note to say good report, or nice fish
if you read a report you must have an opinion of some kind
it could even be an emotion like :? or :D
maybe we should finish all post with what do you think :?:
you dont have to writ e a ribwart report (they are good bye the way, a bit long sometimes but good) :)
just a short note will do 8)
what do you think :?:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
darcycote said:
go from a fishing forum to a fishing clique?you cant be serious.its getting close enough to that already.
darcycote said:
i follow the way your drifting.but i cant help but thinking,there are almost 2500 reg. members,but the amount of regular posters is probably about 3%.whats the point of a test?why not more opinions,reports from the silent majority?intimidation?,fear of ridicule?just food for thought.
darcycote said:
good idea in theory.i think most members log on,read whats going on and log off. a little more participation fom the silent majority would be great. just watch what you say. :wink:
Here is some one that is on the ball! :)

G

·
I like the idea of being responsible for what you write. As prof said now one will have to think about what one is saying. Getting rid of the promotions of business etc is also great. Well done and I agree we don't need a test to participate we just have to think and show some respect for fellow members. 8)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.