BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·


Bro Jake's Ultimate Extreme Angler Challenge

Classic Rock 101 is partnering up with Pacific Angler to create a one of a kind
fishing experience hosted by two of the city’s most outspoken anglers:
Jake Edwards & Martin Strong!

Jake and Marty along with professional guides from Pacific Angler will take 4 winners
on 2 boats on a Pacific Angler fishing mini-tourney out of Coal Harbour.

The two teams will compete for four hours to see who can land the biggest fish.

Free to enter, please visit our website for more information:

http://www.pacificangler.ca
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
189 Posts
I've been in Pacific Angler a few times, it's a fly shop and the Staff isn't particularly interested in Saltwater fishing, not just me but 3 of my friends have noticed the same thing.

Phone and ask about the price of Anchovies and you can feel the energy drop on the other end of the phone, ditto asking questions in the shop, apathy rules.

I might go in again sometime but for the moment all my needs are being met by other full service tackle stores and Pacific Angler, with it's emphasis on freshwater fly fishing, has little to offer.

EDIT-I note that even though the trip as advertised is happening on the chuck the store posts it in the Freshwater Forum ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
I know that it's only your opinion, but still. I'd have to disagree, based on my experience. One only has to read publications such as BC Outdoors Fishing, to see that Jason Tonelli, the store owner is a highly regarded, and well spoken fisherman on the chuck.
It's always important that you bring concerns over service to the management of a small business, so that any problems, or perceived problems can be overcome. Jason did not open the store to provide shoddy service, and deserves at least the opportunity to correct before you start slagging him. It's pretty east to sit behind your computer and take shots. Think about what it takes in time, money, and commitment, to open a tackle store, and use your words to help a businessman improve his business, instead of taking cheap shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Dogbreath said:
I've been in Pacific Angler a few times, it's a fly shop and the Staff isn't particularly interested in Saltwater fishing, not just me but 3 of my friends have noticed the same thing.

Phone and ask about the price of Anchovies and you can feel the energy drop on the other end of the phone, ditto asking questions in the shop, apathy rules.

I might go in again sometime but for the moment all my needs are being met by other full service tackle stores and Pacific Angler, with it's emphasis on freshwater fly fishing, has little to offer.

EDIT-I note that even though the trip as advertised is happening on the chuck the store posts it in the Freshwater Forum ::)
I disagree. I've been to that store a number of times and have bought steelhead and river gear with no problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
ogobogo said:
I know that it's only your opinion, but still. I'd have to disagree, based on my experience. One only has to read publications such as BC Outdoors Fishing, to see that Jason Tonelli, the store owner is a highly regarded, and well spoken fisherman on the chuck.
It's always important that you bring concerns over service to the management of a small business, so that any problems, or perceived problems can be overcome. Jason did not open the store to provide shoddy service, and deserves at least the opportunity to correct before you start slagging him. It's pretty east to sit behind your computer and take shots. Think about what it takes in time, money, and commitment, to open a tackle store, and use your words to help a businessman improve his business, instead of taking cheap shots.
A very good point that I agree with. Jason has a great shop and services all aspects of fishing very well!


Hotrod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Dogbreath, I don't want to pile on but Pacific Angler is trying to offer you a free fishing trip for the day, with prizes! Embrace them. No need to slag them on this thread, when they're hosting such a unique contest and encouraging members on this board to sign up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dogbreath said:
I've been in Pacific Angler a few times, it's a fly shop and the Staff isn't particularly interested in Saltwater fishing, not just me but 3 of my friends have noticed the same thing.

Phone and ask about the price of Anchovies and you can feel the energy drop on the other end of the phone, ditto asking questions in the shop, apathy rules.

I might go in again sometime but for the moment all my needs are being met by other full service tackle stores and Pacific Angler, with it's emphasis on freshwater fly fishing, has little to offer.

EDIT-I note that even though the trip as advertised is happening on the chuck the store posts it in the Freshwater Forum ::)
Hi Dogbreath,

Thank you for the feedback on our shop. We are always looking for ways to improve. You should know that we are continually expanding our selection and working to build up all aspects of the store including the saltwater section. It has been 6 months since our Grand Opening Event, and we are growing at a rapid pace! Rome was not built in a day... We are a full service shop with a saltwater section, gear section, and fly section. We have a great selection and variety of all types of rods, reels, waders, boots, bags, clothing, and flies. Everybody here likes all types of fishing. We love to sturgeon fish, saltwater gear fish and saltwater fly fish, spey fish, trout fish, steelhead float fish, bone fish, tarpon fish.....you get the picture!

If we are "not particularly interested in saltwater fishing" then I wouldn't have spent the last 11 summers guiding for salmon in the ocean or have 2 recently published articles on saltwater fishing. One on cut plugging for springs and the other about fly fishing for coho. Dave, Chad and I also wouldn't have gone out to the mouth of the Cap recently and caught a nice red spring with our good friend Jeff from Bonchovy Charters. I also wouldn't have donated to the Vancouver Fire Rescue Saltwater Fishing Derby coming up or teamed up with the Bro and Rock 101.1 for some fun times out on the chuck. Clearly we have a passion for local saltwater fishing.

Yesterday we had customers who have never picked up a rod in their life and wanted a spinning combo for their camping trip, two Russian gents going spey fishing for steelhead on the Dean, some local saltwater anglers heading out for springs, more saltwater anglers heading to Tofino, some local anglers casting flies for pinks on the beach, people going fly fishing in the interior, sturgeon fisherman, bar fisherman, the variety is endless. I take pride in the fact that we are able to accommodate all these anglers regardless of the fishery or their experience level due to the fact that we are well rounded fisherman and have a passion for fishing period. Our goal is to provide friendly and knowledgeable service in a comfortable environment with competitive pricing. If we do not have something you are looking for or the price is not competitive please let myself, Chad, Dave and Casey know. We will gladly accommodate you.

See you out on the ocean, lake, or river nearest you.

Jason Tonelli

Owner/Operator

Pacific Angler

[url]www.pacificangler.ca
[/url]
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
189 Posts
ogobogo said:
I know that it's only your opinion, but still. I'd have to disagree, based on my experience. One only has to read publications such as BC Outdoors Fishing, to see that Jason Tonelli, the store owner is a highly regarded, and well spoken fisherman on the chuck.
It's always important that you bring concerns over service to the management of a small business, so that any problems, or perceived problems can be overcome. Jason did not open the store to provide shoddy service, and deserves at least the opportunity to correct before you start slagging him. It's pretty east to sit behind your computer and take shots. Think about what it takes in time, money, and commitment, to open a tackle store, and use your words to help a businessman improve his business, instead of taking cheap shots.
It's not my opinion it's my experience.

I'm not taking cheap shots I'm recounting real life experience with in store and phone service both.


Roe_Pig said:
....I've been to that store a number of times and have bought steelhead and river gear with no problems at all.
My post was recounting trying to buy Saltwater gear/bait not Fresh.
The apparent disconnect between servicing the two gear types is the subject.

hotrod said:
....A very good point that I agree with. Jason has a great shop and services all aspects of fishing very well!Hotrod
Again Hotrod how much Saltwater gear have you purchased there?

troutchaser said:
Dogbreath, I don't want to pile on but Pacific Angler is trying to offer you a free fishing trip for the day, with prizes! Embrace them. No need to slag them on this thread, when they're hosting such a unique contest and encouraging members on this board to sign up.
Dogpiling is exactly what you're doing but to an old dog like me that's nothing.
Good for free trips with local celebrities but always remember he's doing it to promote his business, all fine and good as he's bucked up to sponsor the site.
But if his store fails to deliver service for the same kind of fishing it's fair comment to point that out.
Again it's posted in the Freshwater forum doesn't anyone find that odd?


ogobogo said:
oh yeah, and just in case you didn't notice, they also help pay for the site with their banner ad.
Does the act of buying an add put businesses above criticism of any kind?
Where does that kind of thinking lead to?



Pacific Angler said:
Hi Dogbreath,

Thank you for the feedback on our shop. We are always looking for ways to improve.
If we are "not particularly interested in saltwater fishing" then I wouldn't have spent the last 11 summers guiding for salmon in the ocean or have 2 recently published articles on saltwater fishing. One on cut plugging for springs and the other about fly fishing for coho. Dave, Chad and I also wouldn't have gone out to the mouth of the Cap recently and caught a nice red spring with our good friend Jeff from Bonchovy Charters. I also wouldn't have donated to the Vancouver Fire Rescue Saltwater Fishing Derby coming up or teamed up with the Bro and Rock 101.1 for some fun times out on the chuck. Clearly we have a passion for local saltwater fishing.
Hello Jason-I very much appreciate your input here, obviously there's something of a disconnect between how you see service in the store and what's being received.
No one wants to be treated like a poor relative at a funeral while shopping nor do business owners want their customers treated that way.
Please check your Private Messages I have some specific info for you that in the interest of fairness I won't post here.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top