BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out today that I am going to be up there for a week at the end of June. Has anyone been there? It looks really cool. Anyone got some thoughts on PL?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
There's a few who've guided up there on this site who'll jump in.

My 2cents: take some bugspray (muskol....or whatever)
and even if you don't get sea sick,
a kids dose of gravol before you get on your boat would be suggested (it's big water even some of the guides do this).
You'll probably get to hobnob with a few highrollers (there's probably more private jets at the airport in Masset then at YVR)
You'll eat well.
Take a couple extra sd cards for your camera.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
and even if you don't get sea sick, a kids dose of gravol before you get on your boat would be suggested (it's big water even some of the guides do this).
Just a word of advice; the gravol will make you tired and lethargic and it gets worse if you actually get sick. Certainly not a great feeling during the trip of a lifetime. I can highly recommend the Transderm-V patch, which is a time-release patch you wear behind one of your ears. Having spent 14 years in the Navy, I used to get sick almost every time we went to sea (sometimes being sick for up to 3 weeks straight) until the Doc gave me a couple of these beauties!! $15 and it could save your trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a few who've guided up there on this site who'll jump in.

My 2cents: take some bugspray (muskol....or whatever)
and even if you don't get sea sick,
a kids dose of gravol before you get on your boat would be suggested (it's big water even some of the guides do this).
You'll probably get to hobnob with a few highrollers (there's probably more private jets at the airport in Masset then at YVR)
You'll eat well.
Take a couple extra sd cards for your camera.
I am used to the open ocean and a lot of bugs--copious bugs in fact, but we will be far out in the saltchuck, so those must be some long-range mossies. I won't take gravol, there's no need. Hell, I'll probably be guzzling beers (!) The facilities look pretty good...I have fished often off the west cost of the island and around the panhandle...but what is the fishing like off the WC of the Charlottes? I don't exactly know how and when is the best time for finding Springs and their migration habits. Is late June off the Charlottes any good? Or early or late for the Springs?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Great advice 11th! How long does that patch last?
Sorry Rick, I thought I put that in the original post but I guess not. The box comes with 2 patches and each one will last 3 days, although I've used them up to 4 days each with no problem. This should certainly cover most people's experience on the water. Once they're on, you can shower like you normally would, just be careful around the area with the patch as I've had a couple of them fall off in the shower. I just picked it up and put it back on without an issue. Because they're transdermal they take a few hours to start working so put it on a good 6-8 hours before heading out. The box says 12 hours but even in 80 foot waves up around the Aleutians I found 6 hours is a good starting point.

There are two side-effects that can be associated with wearing them, but neither one is that problematic. The first one, and the one people will first notice, is dehydration. These things suck every drop of water out of your body, lol. A normal person should drink 1.5-2L of water/day; if you're wearing a patch, bump that up to 3-4L. Bathroom breaks aren't any more frequent than you would normally need to go.

When we went to sea, up to 40% of the ships company (300+ people) would be wearing the patch and the 2nd side-effect doesn't hit everybody (about 30% of people from what I've experienced). You can either experience nightmares or psychedelic dreams (results may vary, lol). This isn't an effect from the drug itself, but from the adhesive used to stick the patch to the skin. People who use the nicotine patches experience the same effects (same adhesive). I'd rather lose a little bit of sleep than be horking my guts out for 6 hours on the boat while you try to fish. I'm sure everyone else would enjoy the non-horking as well.

Honestly I can't speak highly enough about these patches. They literally saved my career and I recommend them to anyone who's prone to motion sickness, and that includes air/car/train/sea/toboggan, etc, etc. Thankfully I don't get air sick, which is one of the reasons I transferred to the Air Force, lol. They're available at the pharmacy and you shouldn't need a prescription. Just ask for the Transderm-V patch and the Pharmacist should hand you a 2"x2" yellow box.

They will save your trip from becoming a disaster.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sorry Rick, I thought I put that in the original post but I guess not. The box comes with 2 patches and each one will last 3 days, although I've used them up to 4 days each with no problem. This should certainly cover most people's experience on the water. Once they're on, you can shower like you normally would, just be careful around the area with the patch as I've had a couple of them fall off in the shower. I just picked it up and put it back on without an issue. Because they're transdermal they take a few hours to start working so put it on a good 6-8 hours before heading out. The box says 12 hours but even in 80 foot waves up around the Aleutians I found 6 hours is a good starting point.

There are two side-effects that can be associated with wearing them, but neither one is that problematic. The first one, and the one people will first notice, is dehydration. These things suck every drop of water out of your body, lol. A normal person should drink 1.5-2L of water/day; if you're wearing a patch, bump that up to 3-4L. Bathroom breaks aren't any more frequent than you would normally need to go.

When we went to sea, up to 40% of the ships company (300+ people) would be wearing the patch and the 2nd side-effect doesn't hit everybody (about 30% of people from what I've experienced). You can either experience nightmares or psychedelic dreams (results may vary, lol). This isn't an effect from the drug itself, but from the adhesive used to stick the patch to the skin. People who use the nicotine patches experience the same effects (same adhesive). I'd rather lose a little bit of sleep than be horking my guts out for 6 hours on the boat while you try to fish. I'm sure everyone else would enjoy the non-horking as well.

Honestly I can't speak highly enough about these patches. They literally saved my career and I recommend them to anyone who's prone to motion sickness, and that includes air/car/train/sea/toboggan, etc, etc. Thankfully I don't get air sick, which is one of the reasons I transferred to the Air Force, lol. They're available at the pharmacy and you shouldn't need a prescription. Just ask for the Transderm-V patch and the Pharmacist should hand you a 2"x2" yellow box.

They will save your trip from becoming a disaster.
I concur. If these don't help you you're a freshwater fisheman. LOL!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I am used to the open ocean and a lot of bugs--copious bugs in fact, but we will be far out in the saltchuck, so those must be some long-range mossies.
Yes, however to get out to sea you have to get out of your comfy living quarters, go to the dock and sit in the boat or stand on the dock before you depart and then when you get back you'll want pictures, want to chat, maybe go enjoy some spectacular scenery as you get your land legs back.

As for fishing I'll call up my buddy who guides there and ask him; if no one else chimes in.

Also 11th, I've written down the transderm on my saltchuck tackle box.
Thanks, you've been on bigger water than most.
I know gravol causes drowsiness (but forgot to include it in my post) that is why I suggested a childs dose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good point...I completely forgot about the onshore bugs. many of whom like alcohol-sweetened blood. I have a bunch of bug dope--so thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I am used to the open ocean and a lot of bugs--copious bugs in fact, but we will be far out in the saltchuck, so those must be some long-range mossies. I won't take gravol, there's no need. Hell, I'll probably be guzzling beers (!) The facilities look pretty good...I have fished often off the west cost of the island and around the panhandle...but what is the fishing like off the WC of the Charlottes? I don't exactly know how and when is the best time for finding Springs and their migration habits. Is late June off the Charlottes any good? Or early or late for the Springs?
Hey TRAUTS, in my experience that time of year up where you will be should be decent. You will probably be early for the big boys but there should be plenty of springs in the 20lb class to keep you busy. hopefully the weather is decent for ya so that you will be able to fish the whole fishing grounds, if its a south easterly you are pretty much stuck to one or two spots which is never any fun with two lodges in the same grounds. The lodge is first class and so are their guides who will ensure your stay is memorable. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've done some extensive guiding in the Northern Charlottes and know many guides who have in recent years. Late June should be fine...make that the last 2 trips in my opinion. If you can get later, go later...like Mid July to Mid August. As someone else offered, there should be plenty of 20 lbers around and you should catch plenty. However, IMHO, if you can fish Langara, I would recommend there instead. That will avail you to Monster Halis, more sheltered waters, bigger boats, and a more plentiful bottomfish supply. As with anywhere in the Charlottes, dependent on trips in recent years, you can be more "miss" than "hit" like anywhere on the coast. This should be a good year for fishing though.

My .02

·
Registered
572 Posts
Late June is great, Cape Edenshaw usually lights up about then, also Naden opening in 100 - 120 ft seems good. One of the better spots is in tight at Strigh Island on the high slack but thats probably to close to Masset for Perigin...

Bret

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Late June is great, Cape Edenshaw usually lights up about then, also Naden opening in 100 - 120 ft seems good. One of the better spots is in tight at Strigh Island on the high slack but thats probably to close to Masset for Perigin...

Bret
Is that where most of the Masset boats like Escott and Naden fish as well?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Most of the Masset boats run from Strigh, Hidden, 7 Mile to Cape Edenshaw. As well we can run east thru an area called Ops to Rose Spit. 7 Mile, The Red Can or Wiah Point (on the chart) is considered to be one of the better spots and can really produce if you know the area.

Bret

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds about right. 20lbrs are good eating. It's a free trip and it's already booked so I won't bitch. As long as I can fish really hard all day, I am happy. I can't say I know much but I don't get seasick and I do fish real hard as trips like this are just such a treat! One thing I have learned though is that it is really important to have a hard-fishing man as your partner and a guide who likes to go hard as well. I've learned that the hard way (!) I wonder if the hogs will come a little early due to El Nino? Looks like a potential blue water year. I saw that off of Kyoquot a few years back and dudes were bringing in some great looking tuna. This is the warmest year on record. I wonder what effectg that will have...?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Most of the Masset boats run from Strigh, Hidden, 7 Mile to Cape Edenshaw. As well we can run east thru an area called Ops to Rose Spit. 7 Mile, The Red Can or Wiah Point (on the chart) is considered to be one of the better spots and can really produce if you know the area.

Bret
Thanks for the info, Bret

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
OK, talked to my guide buddy and he said it's a good time to go with fish 40-50 lbs in the mix.
The weather isn't optimum but the fishing is quite productive.
As for a hard-fishing guide, I believe they switch-up guides each day; which can be a good or bad thing.
(unlike some other lodges where your stuck with same guide each day)
But most will be trying hard for you, they're working for that tip (gratuity).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Peregrine

Trauts, once you get off the Heli come up to the bar and talk to me and I'll hook you up with a solid guide, they're all great fisherman/women but each has their own very different personality. Last year the end of june, 1st week of july was pretty much the best time for total numbers of Chinook and some 50lbers. Don't except monster Hali's like Langara like someone else on the board suggested, you'll be lucky to land a 30lber, last years largest was under 85, make sure to get your lings too as they're tasty in those waters. Send me a pm if you have any questions. See you when you jump off the chopper,

Your friendly neighbourhood bartender

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I were there about 5 years ago in early July and never encountered any insects. Fishing was fantastic and no problem with the seas. I understand the fishing has been slow except for last year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guided at Peregrine for 3 years... a few things:

1) Not sure where the bug comments are coming from. Unless you're hanging out right on the beach, I never had an issue.

2) Last week of June was (for the years I was there) the first week the big boys would come in. I got my first 50 pounder every year during that week... and there aren't millions of coho and pinks around yet to prevent you from getting down to the pigs.

3) Peregine never fished "long days" when I was there, but I know you could definitely fish hard while you were out there. 10.5 hour days were the rule, though when I was leaving they were beginning to look at overtime options if you wanted to pay up.

4) Sawmill bartender fellow is bang on with the hali comments. If it were me, I'd spend every hour on the water chasing big chinook - the halibut are good to eat, but boring to catch (IMO), and if you want to eat them you're better off buying them when you get back to civilization.

5) If they still allow it, offer to buy your guide a beer in the side-lodge when you get back that night. I know we always really appreciated it (especially early in the season), and it wasn't offered to us that often.

6) Listen to your guide. You obviously seem to know your stuff, but your guide does this for a living, and fishing the Charlottes isn't exactly the same as all the other places you may have fished in your life.

Good luck!
:D
Tex - misses guiding, glad he'll be back up for a couple of trips this summer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts