BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.globaltvbc.com/ucluelet+w...314/story.html

What are you guys/gal thought on this?

I say to leave the "over fed" deer with the elderly couple. Its life is almost at an end, not many blacktails in the wild will last over ten years.. not sure about in captivity .. hard to say how it would do in the wild since it has several medical problems (cant run for very long,Bad hips etc.) I think the doe would end up being wolf bait rather than living a "natural" life, my 2 cents​

·
Registered
28 Posts
The deer looks well cared for . The only concern of the ministry seems to be the possibility of strangulation from being tethered. Couldn't this happen to a dog as well ?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Actually yes, happened to my friend's Border Collie. Hung itself on a chainlink fence. The issue is not THIS deer, it is all 'wild'life. They don't want to set a precedent.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sadly the damage was done 10 years ago when she first took it in to captivity.

Taking her away now is just going to lead to a quick death for an animal who no longer knows how to be wild.

I can see the ministry's point, but it should have been dealt with 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It's going to be interesting to watch this develop. I say the woman, after 10 years of keeping this deer and developing an obviously mutual attachment has a reasonable expectation that the situation can remain as-is. The deer is on medication and has a bad hip, so I'll assume it's seen the local vet... It's not like this deer is a new discovery...

This is nothing more than the government flexing its muscle when it should be using its head. The situation may very well be in violation of the law, it may be unlawful, or even illegal... but the spirit of the law is intact and not compromised. It serves no public interest to separate these two now in anyway, it would actually be measurably damaging to both parties.

If the federal government is truly interested in the welfare of wildlife, perhaps they should focus on a oil pipe line being laid in our ocean. Not Bambi and her mom in no-where-ville.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
... This is nothing more than the government flexing its muscle when it should be using its head. The situation may very well be in violation of the law, it may be unlawful, or even illegal... but the spirit of the law is intact and not compromised. It serves no public interest to separate these two now in anyway, it would actually be measurably damaging to both parties.
aYup! Given the number of wolves, Big Kitties and feral wolf hybrids (thank the reserve for that one ::)) in the area, that old doe wouldn't last a day. No point at this juncture. Let it die where it lived the last decade. Ain't like it's going to be another 10 years...

Precedent has already been established. 10 years ago it seems...

If the federal government is truly interested in the welfare of wildlife, perhaps they should focus on a oil pipe line being laid in our ocean. Not Bambi and her mom in no-where-ville.
This ain't federal DamnFish. Terry Lake is the Provincial Minister of Environment.

All of that aside, a 10 year old FAT dry doe would make some rather fine chewing... :peace:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
108 Posts
Give Janet Schwartz a temporary animal rehab license since, obviously, the deer needs medical attention which it would not receive if ‘set free’. In fact, without this attention, the deer the deer faces a life of a few weeks at best – it cannot defend itself against predators.

Many wild animals are in rehab and their lives saved by that. They are only released back into the wild when their keepers are sure they will survive. Those not expected to survive are kept.

This is no different.

MichaelR

·
Registered
593 Posts
We keep wild animals in zoo's. I don't agree with that! I agree it sets a precedent, but sometimes these stories shouldnt even make the news. THe old lady lives out in the middle of nowhere she obviously is taking good care due to the fact the deer is on medication. When the news story flips back to the guy wearing the suit in Victoria it makes me laugh. Some young wipper snapper all prepped out in his high end suit is telling some old lady who's probably hunted, fished, and gathered most of what she consumes how to live her life! We could all probably learn a little from her.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Driller, that was a cheap suit.

I have a dog that would take off if I didn't have him on a leash.. should I let him go too?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I read a little more about this story. Turns out,the pet doe is pregnant. So now what will happen with the fawns? I think this old gal loses credibility when she deliberatly goes and breeds the pet doe.Apparently a nieghbor brought over a buck so the two could breed. Strange story.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ok, forget what I wrote earlier. This story is too strange. Freakin crazy old lady!:eek:

I read a little more about this story. Turns out,the pet doe is pregnant. So now what will happen with the fawns? I think this old gal loses credibility when she deliberatly goes and breeds the pet doe.Apparently a nieghbor brought over a buck so the two could breed. Strange story.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So how come the guy with the buck isn't in trouble? Or did he just bring over some random wild buck and then let it go? How come Santa isn't in shit over his reindeer?
Because Santa lives in the North Pole and isn't regulated by our laws.:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts