BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
well we went out to fish for some soc's and end up catching one soc ,rescueing a boat of 5 people who ran into a sand bar in a fiberglass boat the only ones wear a pfd was the kids but those parent should have them on too.as we we're helping them we heard some yelling up river for some help i looked in the glasses and seen a man in the river then i noticed a white boat racing over i kept watching in the glasses and seen that they pulled him in and, thought to myself thats cool then Thomas from TNT came into shore and asked us to get in our boat and come look for the other one, my guts sank..so there was a few boat looking and no luck..came to find out they were shore fishing by some very ugly water with out haveing a PFD on.. my sympathy goes out to that fella's family and friend..so people please put it on..

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The guys in the white boat were my My son, Matt, and his buddy Laing from Laings Fishing Advetures. They pulled the one guy from the river, today and saw the other guy float by about 3 feet under the surface, then sink out of sight. The guy they pulled him into their boat was so weak he could not talk. The two of them had to haul him over the side......It was a very stressful day for the boys......At least they saved one guy from near death. They both feel bad about the other guy who went to the bottom.............Ortho

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good lord. Must have been pretty traumatic for your son and his friend, Ortho. Hope he's doing ok.

Terrible stuff.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wow!! Talk about turning some quiet restful leisure time into a very scary and traumatic evening!! Great that you and Don could rescue the 5 people in the fiberglass boat Tina. Awful sad about the fellow that didn't make it, but at the same time it is fantastic to hear about the other fellow that was saved. My hat is off to all those involved in this as it truly shows your true caring nature. My condolences to the family of the fellow that was not lucky enough to be saved.

And to think I would have been there with you and Don if I didn't have a splitting headache. Unreal ...... !!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Wow....hats off to your son Ortho in doing what he could to rescue both men; very unfortunate that one of them didn't make it or so it would appear. Give him a pat on the back from me in doing what he could.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
At least the kids had them on - but what a tramatic night for those kids and everyone else involved!! I feel bad for everyone involved....

·
Registered
270 Posts
We to would like to thank your son MATT & HIS FRIEND LIANG.
The hole situation is traumatizing, as the wife and I have done this three times now all have turned out -----ok---- and with small kids involved makes the stress level go way up. Your son and his friend indeed should keep there heads high, as if not for them it would have been much much worse, pulling a large man out of that water is a feet alone. It is all under toe in that area. The hole time we were pulling the other boat to safety we heard them calling but could do nothing but work fast to then go and help, but then you arrived------------------and my hat is off to the boat and it's crew, and condolences to the friend and his family and to the one that was lost.
I would like to thank Thomas from TNT for all his help,--- and it's nice to see that we all stick together in times of need .

·
Registered
455 Posts
Feel bad for the family's of the lost man. Glad to see that a fast response managed to save at least one of the guys, good on them for caring as in some situations a few people would not want to get involved??????????????? Thanks Guys and Gals:thumbup:. Shows how important an inflatable vest of some sort and a wading belt are when wearing waders can be. Boating and shore fishing the Fraser in that area can be so dangerous as the undertows are very large.:(:(:(:(
FOCB

·
Registered
270 Posts
Missing Fisherman Presumed Drowned in Fraser River
Share | http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php.../threads/16707-PFD-PFD-it-s-so-important&tt=0http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php.../threads/16707-PFD-PFD-it-s-so-important&tt=0

File # 2010-26774
2010-08-25 08:53 PDT Chilliwack BC: On Tuesday August 24th, 2010 at approximately 5:45 pm a sport fisherman fell into the Fraser River and has not yet been found. The male slipped into the Fraser near the popular Old Orchard Road access point. The search will continue today.
Police were advised of the incident and Search and Rescue was immediately notified to commence a search. The male, age 33 of Delta BC, was fishing with a friend when he slipped from some rocks into the fast moving water. His friend jumped into the water in an attempt to save him and had to be pulled from the water himself by a nearby boater.
RCMP helicopter Air 1, Chilliwack Search and Rescue, Police and numerous fisherman searched for the body for several hours and were unable to locate the male. The search was called off at dusk and will recommence today.
This is tragic reminder to be safe when on, or near, the water. Life jackets should be worn at all times when on a boat or standing on the rivers edge near deep or swift water.
The Chilliwack RCMP wish to thank the public who assisted in pulling one of the males from the water, and in the ongoing search efforts for the missing Delta man.
Updates will be posted to this website, bc.rcmp.ca, when available.

Released by
Cpl. Lea-Anne Dunlop
Communications Officer
Upper Fraser Valley RCMP
46326 Airport Road, Chilliwack BC V2P 1A5
Office: (604) 702-4017
Email: [email protected]
Follow BC RCMP News on:

component article previous next links

component category list
Related Articles:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Unfortunately, there was another recovery on Aug 12th for a fisherman in the Fraser River in Hope. Search and Recovery launched their boat right where I was fishing and had arrived with a group of people and many RCMP.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
this was pretty upsetting to me to see another drowning this year.... Lang was working his butt off to get the other guy found... and Don you were awesome ... thank you for getting off the bar and helping....

what really disgusted me was the lack of people that actually got in there boat to help... evryone just sat there trying to kill there fish....

just imagine if it was their family and no one would help.... pretty sad that 2 Sockeye are more important than a life....
I understand a lot of people dont understand the basics of helping and searching for a person but you really need to give a little extra to try and help....

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
what really disgusted me was the lack of people that actually got in there boat to help... evryone just sat there trying to kill there fish....

just imagine if it was their family and no one would help.... pretty sad that 2 Sockeye are more important than a life....
I understand a lot of people dont understand the basics of helping and searching for a person but you really need to give a little extra to try and help....
Thomas.....that IS disgusting AND very, very sad. Humans can be very ugly at times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
while i agree more ppl should be helping in cases like this.. but some ppl go into a state of "shock" and really are unable to help .. and would be more of danger than a help as they could put themselves at risk of falling in because they are not thinking straight unfortunately

i really feel for this guy and his family and his buddy who tried to save him.. this should put a sense of respect for the power of the river as well

*edit* i hope my post isn't taken the wrong way.. i've done a fair amount of *helping* in times of need such as this.. i was just trying to say that not everyone is capable of being able to help others in stressful situations such as what occurred out there .. sorry if it comes off as anything other than that .. also know as i'm not very good at putting whats in my thoughts down thru my fingers..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i also was very surpised at the lack of aid..since i think there was a few guide boats out there..you would think they would be the first ones to be there since they most likely have that hight tec sonar..and i'm sure thier clients wouldn't mind..and if i'm ever in need i hope the ones that helped are near by..it's become a very uncareing world..just my opion..

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yes very sad...it's great to hear that some stepped up to help though, Thomas, Don, Matt, Lang and any others not mentioned...I can tell there's some frustration here, the lack of empathy for a situation like that and the lack of response from many others on the river that day. Almost like many had the blinders on while others realized what had happened and quickly reacted. The important thing to remember is that some did step up, and effort was made. A life was saved that day despite the tragic loss that came with it...Those of you involved, hang in there...an incident such as this one is never easy, and for most, it will stick with them all their lives. You did everything you could do...and I am sure there are many family members and friends that are eternally grateful you were there to help avert what could have been an even more tragic and terrible accident than it already is.

:cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Rib, and you are right, but it still leaves a lump in your throat ,and the frustration is all part of the healing to get things out you are all top notch guys in my book and nobody can take that away from you as you did what you could and that was awesome.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the fellow was found yesterday around noon at the mission launch....I drove right past him without seeing him.... pretty sad to see......I am sure he waS loved and missed like most guys would be on the river....hopefully next time there will be more help and less greed on the river.....

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's good to hear that he was recovered, at least the family will be able to get some closure now. Damn sad though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts