BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sounds to me you learned some good lessons the hard way O.Lord. sorry to hear you learned them that way. I myself have done all of the above and others over the years :wallbash: however now i have other lesser issues like putting my reels on so tight i can never get them off again :-\ but i guess i will never have them fall off...right? I think every person that fly fishes has and still does cast the tip section off from time to time LOL (this is less likely with a 4pc) and i always take my rod apart before bush wacking after almost snapping one one day :naughty: guess that day i was a little anxious to get to the spot.

when it comes to the PFD yes its your best friend on the water. lake or river!!! I have gone in a few times luckily only been sweeped away once. and to think i still dont wear one on the river :wallbash: guess i need to buy a more comfy one then i would.

·
Registered
875 Posts
re:pFD's

2 words... inflatable vest ;) Very expensive though... I guess you need to consider what is worth more, a few hundreds bucks or your life :wallbash:

·
Registered
95 Posts

Every Day said:
2 words... inflatable vest ;) Very expensive though... I guess you need to consider what is worth more, a few hundreds bucks or your life :wallbash:
This might be a stupid question but does an inflatable vest have to be inflated after the fact?

The reason I ask is my biggest worry is falling in and hitting my head or otherwise being incapacitated and not being able to react.

On a river I kind of see wearing a pfd like wearing a seatbelt in a car. It will mostly likely save your life but it could also be a hinderance.

Hypothetically, I could see my self falling in and being wedged against a log and wanting to swim under it. A pfd could make that hard. Maybe I think too much.

Note, I sometimes fish without a pfd after haven driven there without a seatbelt. :naughty:

Sorry if derailed this thread

·
Registered
875 Posts

Well yes an inflatable vest has a pull cord that you can yank on when you are falling. I also worry about being pinned against a log jam sometimes when tubing.. better to to bail I always think than get stuck.

One other thing... if you get wedged against a log, you are dead anyways. Don't want to sound gloomy but with a life vest you will get snagged and the vest cant stand up to the pressure of the current. Without a pfd, good luck pushing yourself out as the current is a lot stronger than you may think. If your gonna swim under it you better go under water ahead of time before actually hitting it.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

Every Day said:
They are cheaper than moderately priced rod and priceless if you ever need one. It actually takes a pretty good blow to the head to knock you out. In most cases having the PFD inflated will keep your head clear of objects as you are careening down a set of rapids.

·
Registered
149 Posts
After going for a ride on that rollercoaster last week. ( Hmmmm, what was the name of that ride ?) Ah yes, the Birkenhead river !! :wallbash: I went out today and bought a couple pfds. One inflatable, and an idiot proof one. Last year I took the pontoon down the Kitimat river without one. :naughty: Wont be doing that again ! Just like the signs in my union hall read "safety first"

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have the CO2 cartridge water activated auto inflate. It is extremely comfortable and I never raft/pontoon without it......I tried it out in a swimming pool and it works beautifully......No restrictions at all when fishing......Need more info....pm me.....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I also use an inflatable vest with the auto inflate option. You can either pull the cord or like others have said as soon as you hit the water it inflates. Definately worth the money and I don't even notice it on.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
eimaj said:
I also use an inflatable vest with the auto inflate option. You can either pull the cord or like others have said as soon as you hit the water it inflates. Definately worth the money and I don't even notice it on.
Unfortunately they dont come in small sizes :-\ I bought FOCB one a couple of years back - but they definitely do not cater to younger teens or smaller women! I do have one of those (I think its a mustang) collars - but I do find it always in my way - very restricting! I would much rather prefer the vest style.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been fishn for over 20 yrs using one of those old (Faded) Mustang floater type fishing vests. It has a decent amount of pockets for gear (although not as much as some other specialty vests have). I do know that it is not compliant with DOT regulations in that its weight rating is likely below what would be required to hold my head above water if I were unconcious, BUT... I've always felt that it was a good compromise between safety and comfort. I spent a bunch of my youth as a professional lifeguard and have pulled lots of people out of situations where had they had just a bit of floatation, they would have kept their heads and worked their own way to safety. It is often the initial shock of going into the water that can lead to panic, not good for long term survival in the water.
Anyway, long story short is do whatever you can to beat the odds. Even a little help from an inexpensive PFD type vest can give you confidence and allow you time to plot the way out of your predicament. I now am considering getting one of those inflatable vests and I would spring the $$ to get the self-inflating variety. One less thing to think about (assuming you are not in a state of panic and can think) :2cents:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Wearing a PFD is a great idea...and I really need to start practicing this when I go fishing.

A PFD will not necessarily keep you afloat in every situation, but at the very least it gives you a fighting chance for survival. A strong enough current and a large enough log jam might still be able to pin a person down, no matter what they're wearing. Prudence when fishing, along with safety equipment, will go a long ways in keeping a wading angler out of trouble in the first place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.