BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a sailboat and love going up to the indian river. i was up there when the pinks were in and had great fishing, but i was wondering when the pink fry are going to start swimmiing out of the river cause i want to fish for cutties. does anyone know if there is cutties up there?and if so should i fish at the estuary or in the river. thanks

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
On the same subject, when do the pinks run this particular river. Isn't the even years, opposite of the Fraser and tributaries?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The fry are already out and are in the salt water. I have already seen them in and around the Deep Cove area. I also believe that last fall was supposed to be the bigger run. There are always a few that come in on the off year, but last fall was pretty good. It is a fun place to go and cast the fly rod.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
this might sound stupid coming from someone that fishes alot

but where is the Indian River ?

and is that true the Pinks run opposite the fraser runs (meaning even numbered yrs instead of odd numbered)?

thank for info

HOOK

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
It is near deep cove, so you can go in by boat or drive in from stawamus chief forest service road, but that might be closed now, or so I've heard....as far as different years from the fraser for returns, I don't think so....I seem to recall the few years that i drove in that it was still the odd numbered years that they returned. :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Rib' ...........If you launch at Cates Park, or over in Port Moody, it is still a half hr. at least by a motorized boat to the Indian River. It is at the headwater of Indian Arm. The pinks up there travel thru Burrard Inlet and up the arm to the river in numbers on the odd numbered years, same as the Fraser....If you'r thinking of goin' up there ALWAYS take warm clothes and Raingear....Man it rain up there a lot!!....Ortho

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I did fish next to (almost) a black bear one year, so if you're going up there Hook, be wary....be very wary afraid :eek: :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The drive from Squamish along the forest service road is a nice adventure, but is better suited for higher clearance 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Last year, the road was washed out from all the rains that we had, and impassable. Along the way there is a narrow rock gorge that the river runs through, and it is really neat to have a look at. The road goes through a nice valley, and there are spur roads off the main one that go to some nice lakes, but you have to have a good map to find them. I have been up there when the pinks are running, and at the mouth of the river they are thick, thick, thick.

I can hardly wait til I get my dirt bike, then can head up there even if the road's washed out! If you want to know the status of the road, the guys at Highwater Tackle ( I think it's called that) in North Van on Lonsdale know the skinny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've driven from Squamish to Indian Arm twice and both times we almost hit a bear!
On the odd number years in summer, there can be some great fishing for pinks. There's also some good cutties and dollies in there too.
Don't be surprised if some of the Squamish area guides start using the Indian river more frequently after that spill on the Chekamus! If you have a good 4wd you may wish to try Norton lake. There are 4 lakes on some of the spur roads to the northeast of Indian Arm.
Norton seems to be the best.
Consider carring bear spray!!??
There are 2 books published about bear attacks by an author from Bella Coola. His name is James Gary Shelton and he was a consultant for the workers compensation board.
Interesting and scary reading!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
As FFW and Chud said it is nice in there and quite scenic. I have been back in there countless times camping, fishing and hiking. Yes.....there are plenty of bears, and I have seen one cougar in there a few years ago. There are lots of great places to Camp down in the river bed when the water is low, and if you are nervous about bears it gives you plenty of area to see if one is getting close to camp. Norton lake is great.....a bit of a climb to get up to it and make sure you have good brakes on the way down. There are 3 or 4 camping spots up there along the lake but it is pretty tight.

I know the road has been impassible the past couple of years.....two years ago it was due to a huge avalanche that covered the road with debris (logs, boulders etc) and last year was due to washout. Depending on the temperatures and if the road is open the snow keeps the road impassible until well into June some years. You can also keep updated on the status of the road by calling the forestry office in Squamish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to the Forest Service website a bridge at the 16.5 km mark is washed out but should be open by summer. I'm thinking about taking my son up there for some catch and release pink fishing but I'm not sure when they enter the river. Can anyone tell me when they generaly show up? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
why does the south coast pinks run only on odd numbered years and north coast pinks run on even numbered years?

·
Registered
5 Posts
As Coho_Killer stated the pinks run on the south coast on odd number years. The best months are usually late July to early Sept.
Cates park in North Vancouver often has those fish passing by there first. So next summer use that place as a reference. You may even want to try fishing on the beach or anchor a boat nearby as they come very close to the park to enter Indian Arm from Burrard Inlet. Just be prepared for crowds some times!

·
Registered
612 Posts
coho_killer said:
why does the south coast pinks run only on odd numbered years and north coast pinks run on even numbered years?
To let us recover from blistered reel hands after fighting them all off.. :wink:
Seriously,,,,I don't really know,,might have something to do with their 2 year life cycle.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts