BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got myself a welded aluminum with riggers so this year we'll be in the salt a little more! We have a water access only cabin by twin island up the burrard inlet. With the run of pinks that going through the inlet this year where is the best place to target them and is it worth while? I'm going to make the run over to the cap but if we can target pinks and/or springs in the inlet it'll save us the trip. Has anyone had much luck in the past. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
For pinks i'd try anywhere east of iron workers memorial bridge and up indian arm! For springs i'd concentrate your efforts around the cap mouth!

·
Registered
304 Posts
You should try this area:

N: 49, 25' 48"
W:122, 52' 28"

Good luck,

Barba

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
If I think that is where it is..........then yes. Bear in mind the pinks likely get to the mouth of the Indian River (and it has been a few years since I have fished them) but by August it is pretty good around the mouth. They may arrive earlier.....I know it is always a bit of a roll of the dice as to when they start stacking up around the mouth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ya pippen is right. i fished the pinks in the indian river in 05' in august and i had great success. people were catching them in the bay in the picture barb showed as well as in the actual river. you can not keep them once they are in the river though so the salt is much more popular as a result. :cheers:

·
Registered
304 Posts
One more photo:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Both works, Roscoe

B.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
livinlarge said:
When do you think the pinks will be up there? Would chucking spoons be better than riggers?
LL....I would tend to think you will see them for sure by mid-August but possibly sooner. I wasn't up there the last time they ran so someone else may be able to confirm. Chucking anything pink at them is the ticket......we were primarily just casting when I was up there a few years back and didn't waste much (any) time with trolling.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pippen is right,
i didn't see anyone troling around as well.

Good luck, :beerchug:
B.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If trolling is your thing you can allways just use a 2-3 ounce weight and not bother with the riggers.
You dont even really notice the weight.
Does anyone troll out there anymore for Chinooks?
They were making somewhat of a comeback years ago and then i never really heard anymore about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
even stripping some big pink flies on an 8 or 9 weight lined with sink tip also does the trick! :thumbup: i tried this last season and it worked awesome, didnt pick up the old spin caster or levelwind again! love it!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the fishing for springs has gone down the tubes in Indian Arm. I believe the decent run of springs in the early 90's was a result of releasing net pen reared fish in the Arm. They hung out a the Buntzen powerhouse, as that was where they were imprinted and returned to attempt to spawn. The program that paid for raising and releasing the springs was killed. That was a ways back, and as far as I know that killed the revitalized spring fishery in Indian Arm. Too bad, I had some real nice days fishing the calm waters of the arm catching big springs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Why spend the gas to go mess around up Indian Arm when you can have a blast off Pt. Grey/West Van----catch Hatchery Cohos, Pinks, Red Springs, or hang out off the mouth of the Fraser--maybe hook a few Sockeye..., or hang out up Howe Sound, or the Seymour or...???? Go to the Fraser river and cast from shore...a million and one pinks at your feet.

Springs? Never mind going to Indian Arm for anything that is left. Fish Georgia Strait. Mouth of the Fraser, south end of Bowen, etc etc etc etc...or wait for mid Sept for the mouth of the Cap fishery...it lasts a month and a half...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Two years ago in July, my friend and I went up to the mount of Indian river for Pinks. I saw quite a few swimming around but didn't hook any.

·
Registered
464 Posts
fishinmagician said:
Why spend the gas to go mess around up Indian Arm when you can have a blast off Pt. Grey/West Van----catch Hatchery Cohos, Pinks, Red Springs, or hang out off the mouth of the Fraser--maybe hook a few Sockeye..., or hang out up Howe Sound, or the Seymour or...???? Go to the Fraser river and cast from shore...a million and one pinks at your feet.

Springs? Never mind going to Indian Arm for anything that is left. Fish Georgia Strait. Mouth of the Fraser, south end of Bowen, etc etc etc etc...or wait for mid Sept for the mouth of the Cap fishery...it lasts a month and a half...
Hi, FM.

Their were a couple of reasons why I used to head up Indian Arm. Number one was it could be blowing 25-30 knots on the Straight, and yet still be relatively calm in the Arm. Heading up the arm from Mosquito Creek or the Lynwood marinas wasn't really that far a run. Passengers not used to rough water, wouldn't last long before they start hurling on windy days outside. That way you could still get a days fishing in while it's blowing a gale on the Straight. The other reason was that the run of springs usually showed up earlier than the Capilano run.There used to be pretty good fishing for large springs in the Arm early in July, lasting into Sept.

I won't be able to respond to this for a while. I'm heading up to Telegraph Cove for a week. I'll let you know how we made out when I get back. We'll be mostly bottom fishing, but hoping there's some Salmon around too.

TheBigGuy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts