BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Top Water said:
This spring I am planning a trip to do some fly fishing in the Thompson area and am thinking about the lakes around South Barrier and Johnson. I you can help me I would appreciate it.
Go to the library and get a copy of BC Lake Fishing by Karl Bruhn. Check out the Backroads Map Books. There are myriad lakes in the area you are asking about and most are very good fishing. Some are easily accessable, some are goeed for large boats, some suitable to float tubes and pontoons. Many have forestry sites attached, many are best accessed by 4 x 4. I am not trying to withhold information, but you might do some easy research first and then narrow down your request to be better assisted. :peace:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Professor,
I have the map but not the book and will I look on Amazon this morning. I probably should have been more specific because I have narrowed the possibilities down to: South Barrier, Johnson, Need More, Saunders, Sams, Long and Main. I was hoping for some feed back from someone who has fished them with and with out flies.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have fished the badger / knouff lakes for years.Badger is fly only but is a great lake to learn on.best time is june till mid july.Use a medium sink line with a #10 hurl halfback and you will have a blast.Just don't go if it is a full moon as the fishing sucks then.Also can be great dry fly action with tom thumbs.These lakes are an hour north of kamloops off the hefley creek turnoff.The fish average 16 inches but I frequently catch 20 and 24 inchers.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Johnson is a beautiful lake, one of the nicest I've ever been on. There is a big Johnson and a little, the little is only acessed through the resort, which has good pricing on cabins. Fishing on the little lake is easy and the fish go to just over 3lbs. Fishing can be tough on the big lake only because you can see over 50ft through the water. It's that crystal clear ;D This means you need long, 20ft range leaders. And flourocarbon does help. If you stay at the resort Jim has all the info you need, trolling deep can be more effective. It's not hot and heavy fishing, but a very nice place to stay and visit. There is public cabing at the end of Big Johnson.

Big Johnson

Little Johnson, the water at the dock is over 9ft

The shallows, with a few fishy, but 16-17in

·
Registered
694 Posts
Johnson lake resort, I would say if you're going to get a cabin, soring for a little bigger cabin. the small ones are small. I would say it's rustic, but not that bad. The bigger cabins have propane fridges and stoves. No electricity. But Jim will charge batteries for elevtric motors, he runs off his own hyrdo power, and generator when the water doesn't flow.

The main room in the resort is cool, fly tying bench, he asks for appropriate donation if you use his material, and a pool table. The swimming is nice on the little lake, but off the dock, the bottom is soft. Oh and on the small lake he has three little row boats that guests can use. There is a small playground, and the main lake is about a 100yrd hike down the road. I will say you don't want to do the road in more than once in a trip only because it is a little ways in, and steeper. But my uncles motorhome made the trip no prob.

http://www.johnsonlakeresort.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.