BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for a fellow on canadiangunnutz.com

This is for a few good friends of mine named Steve and Justin Byers. I am on the volunteer fire department and play hockey with Steve, he is an A1 kinda guy. A few months ago his young son broke his neck wrestling at school and is now a quadriplegic, that is, he lost all function of arms and legs. His dad, Steve, has taken the last few months off work and done nothing except stay at his sons side. As a favor Justin is trying to win his dad a boat, motor, and trailer package that he can use. I am asking you to please go and vote for him. They truly are good people who had a bad thing happen.

As of 8:30 PM Eastern they are on page 2 #22. Look for Steve Byers from Powassan, Ontario Case #9jXgPG4ec http://www.wfn.tv/rogers/archives.php?page=3

This is the essay that Justin "wrote."
My dad suffers from deprived angler’s disease “dad” because as of April 4th 2007 I have become a quadriplegic; I broke my neck in a wrestling match in my gym class at school. Since this moment my dad has been at my bed side, I was rushed to my local hospital and I spent 14 hours on a backboard waiting to find a hospital to piece my neck back together. I was flown to a children’s hospital in western Ontario where I had my surgery and stayed there in a critical care unit for a month with my dad at my bed side for the entire time, then on April 30th I was flown to a children’s hospital in eastern Ontario for extensive rehabilitation, my dad has been my supporter and encourager since I have been here he has helped me cope with the realization that I will never walk again but we still have hope and know that together we will accomplish anything that we run into. With my dad focusing all his time on me he has had no time for himself, he hasn’t had any time to fish or just get away and enjoy the great outdoors. My dad and I use to always go fishing off our local bridge and camping together but I have been in hospital for the entire summer so we haven’t been able to do anything since spring. I remember the last time we went fishing, we spent the weekend away from my mom and sister, we went camping and fishing, I caught a bigger fish than my dad, he said that next time we go fishing he would catch a bigger fish than me, but we haven’t been able to do this. I feel bad for my dad because he loves the outdoors so much and he has been with me all summer, so for now my dads tackle box sits in our basement gathering dust waiting for him to come back home and use it. My dad was looking for a boat before my injury but was unable to find one at a reasonable price and now that we have so many expenses to take care of due to my injury we will not be able to get a boat now. Even though I can’t fish because I have also lost the use of my fingers I would enjoy watching my dad fish and I could maybe even help him get some fishing gear ready. This is why I feel my dad is a deprived angler, other dads may think they are deprived because they haven’t been able to get out and go fishing as often as they would like, where my dad hasn’t been able to go out fishing at all these past months because he has been with me.

· Registered
118 Posts
Wow that one hit a nerve with me. Just over two years i was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma, a type of childrens bone cancer(even though i was 23 when being diagnosed). My dad took time off work for the 12 months it took for me to go through chemo, surgery, and rehabilitation, and if all it takes is one vote for that father to get a bit of a reward for going through the same stress, heartache, and grief that my father went through, im down for that cause.

· Registered
279 Posts
Dads like this are the unsung heroes that we should all admire and support. Lets hope he gets the boat, I voted for him and will probably again a few times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.