BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for all you guys with the bright shinny jet sleds out there I have 2 questions
first whats the best stuff to use to buff her up, second the boat used to have decals and there is still rsidue from the glue which turns black when I hit it with a polish that I've been using ( left over alum rim polish)

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
WD-40 for the glue residue and I've used a product I believe, because it's not in front of me,called
Magic Wad for the aluminum........... :beerchug:......Marko

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just got done polishing my 20' North River from bow to stern. I polished the sides, gunnels, chine and the bottom of the bow. The stuff I used is called Flitz. It's amazing stuff. It will polish any type of metal you have. Here is a link: http://www.flitz.com/index.html . I looked at several different methods and this was the easiest and best by far.

I used 3/4 of a can for my entire boat. I also bought the buffing wheel for your drill, it is o.k. I went the auto parts store and picked up several of the Mothers Power Balls. They work very well. Get several of both sizes, they will come apart after a little while.

Lacquer Thinner will take off the sticker residue. Just soak the area with the Lacquer Thinner saturated on a rag for the tougher spots.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought the 2LB can of the Metal Polish & Paint Restorer. I also bought the Microfiber towel. Be carefull with the power buffer, I got a few swirls I still have to work out. I would suggest rubbing a little bit with the microfiber rag to see how it works. You don't need very much for it to be effective. I bought it at the Sportsmans Show from a guy out of Oregon.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would have to agree with everything said regarding Flitz so far. It is an outstanding product and is very easy to use.

When buffing aluminum it makes a lot of aluminum residue and if you don't watch what you touch, you will end up looking like you work in a coal mine by the time you are done. It can be very messy, but works outstanding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My boat was pretty oxidized below the water line. I did have to sand the gunnels and chine. I agree with Thrasher, I had to shower with an SOS pad to get the stuff off a few times. Make sure you cover up really well and don't use more than you have to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.