BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Just a few questions. I will be getting a fishcat 9IR right away and want to get an electric motor for it. I will be making it to the salt maybe two or three days a year. For one with the limited amount of salt water use it will have am I alright going with a steel frame as long as I wash it thoroughly after each saltwater session? Or is it worth it to get an aluminum frame for the extra cost? What would be the best electric motor for this application do you guys think? Am I safe getting a regular electric or will it be affected by a few uses in the salt each year? What is a sufficient lb of thrust for a 9 IR pontoon? I will be buying a deep cycle battery form costco I think, have heard they are the best for life with an electric. Thank you for any help.

Tight lines
Derek

· Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be just shore fishing for coho on the island. Met a few guys doing it with thier pontoons last year. were very successful for both hoes and springs actually.....that is what I am wondering hook, I know the aluminum framed pontoons are made to be corrosion proof for saltwater but i am wondering whether the aluminum framed boats have different pontoons for the same purpose or if it is just the frames that are different?

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well i know when i was looking around at pontoons before buying mine they have "saltwater" series but only a few pontoon makers make these. so ya thats a good question whether a normal pontoon will be ok in the saltwater. not sure if i would chance it myself. all the frames are powder coated also

· Registered
691 Posts
You could look at the outcast with the stainless steel frame also, for motors most guys do make a saltwater version which would be best, but that's your call, if it's only gonna be 2 or 3 times a year then I don't think it would be that bad. But when it comes to size of motor, don't go real crazy, they will only push you as fast as your hull speed is, a bigger motor won't make you go any faster.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have a 36lb thrust Minn Kota Endura for my 14' Lund tinny and it pushes it around ok. I think something around that size would push a pontoon boat very well.

The Endura is the freshwater series but the sales guy assured me it's ok in the salt as long as you clean it off after. I also fill up a tub with fresh water and run the motor in it after I'm done.

I just checked the website and your boat will fit up to a 36lb thrust electric. You probably don't need that much thrust and a smaller motor is easier to handle, especially if you're in shallow water and are changing the depth by hand frequently. The other side of the argument is that a big motor always has a slow speed but you're limited on the high end of a small motor.

I was also told a deep cycle battery is best.

· Registered
64 Posts
Hey Dereke

I fished the salt quite a bit with my pontoon boat last fall. Used it from the Nile up to Black Creek and the Cluxewe...but without an electric motor. My boat has a powder-coated steel frame. Also did not use an electric motor simply rowed as needed.

All was great...washed EVERYTHING well each and every time...both inside the frame and out...very little if any damage resulted...

At the same time...if I had a choice and $$$ were not a big issue I would now get the aluminum frame as this is certainly the way to go when beach fishing.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.