BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I know for a fact that in 1 - 2 months time there will be a pontoon boat sitting in my garage....so here's the question....what do you reccomend? my limit is about 500-650 bucks...want to go with that for now....I will be using it to carry me (240lbs) and all of my gear around on the Fraser, Harrison, Chehalis (maybe), Vedder, lakes in the okanagan, as well as probably the Elk and Columbia Rivers...I will go out and look at the different models, personal experiences would be welcoming thanks....

was thinking about something like this
http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/boatpage.cfm?boatid=29

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I bought a used Outcast Discovery 9 ft. last fall and it is a really nice sturdy 'toon. It is very capable of class 2-3 whitewater and very stable....I paid 400 bucks.....Check the Fish BC archives...and BCFR as there are lots of reviews on all types of pontoon boats on both sites..Pontooning the Harrison for the day would be fun!!.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ortho.....will drop you a line or 2 this fall ;)

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
In my opinion, the best pontoon boat on the market is the Bucks Bags! As far as I know Bucks Bags are one of the only boats still made in the USA, the rest, are made in China! The quality is better, the warranty is better, they are more money but you get what you pay for! Just my two cents! http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_cat.asp?id=4

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Bergler said:
In my opinion, the best pontoon boat on the market is the Bucks Bags! As far as I know Bucks Bags are one of the only boats still made in the USA, the rest, are made in China! The quality is better, the warranty is better, they are more money but you get what you pay for! Just my two cents! http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_cat.asp?id=4
I can't fully agree here. I checked out Bucks Bags, and bought a couple of 8' 6" Waterskeeter Speycasters. The reasons were simple. The quality and warranty were everything the Bucks Bags were and the value was better. You pay a bit more than you do for a Bucks Bag, but you get bronze oarlocks, 7' oars, rod holder, anchor system, motor mount and swivel seat all standard. (All extras on Bucks Bags). I used mine heavily last year on both still waters and rivers and they performend great. I do agree you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
professori said:
I can't fully agree here. I checked out Bucks Bags, and bought a couple of 8' 6" Waterskeeter Speycasters. The reasons were simple. The quality and warranty were everything the Bucks Bags were and the value was better. You pay a bit more than you do for a Bucks Bag, but you get bronze oarlocks, 7' oars, rod holder, anchor system, motor mount and swivel seat all standard. (All extras on Bucks Bags). I used mine heavily last year on both still waters and rivers and they performend great. I do agree you get what you pay for.
No one said you had to agree! Its my opinion as stated and if you compare apples to apples and do a little more home work you will see what I am talking about! China made or USA made? Yes it was cheeper, and the reason is cheaper is because the factory they are made at pays their workers (child labour) pennys a day! Like I said you get what you pay for! ;) Buck bags by far has the best service in the market and those that have experienced their service will agree! I myself don't own any Bucks Bags products but I have sold them and other products for quite a few years and have experienced it all first hand!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Bergler said:
professori said:
No one said you had to agree! Its my opinion as stated and if you compare apples to apples and do a little more home work you will see what I am talking about! China made or USA made? Yes it was cheeper, and the reason is cheaper is because the factory they are made at pays their workers (child labour) pennys a day! Like I said you get what you pay for! ;) Buck bags by far has the best service in the market and those that have experienced their service will agree! I myself don't own any Bucks Bags products but I have sold them and other products for quite a few years and have experienced it all first hand!
Easy there Rick. Read again. Mine wasn't cheaper, the Bucks Bag is. I paid about $200 more for mine, but I got better components included standard rather than have to pay more for them as add ons. Yes some components on my boat are China made, but the bladders and pontoons are manufactured in the US. Service has been no problem. The swivel on one of the seats siezed up and I had no issues getting it replaced in a timely fashion (no shipping charge or anything!!). I did do my homework, which is why I made the choice I did. Wasn't attacking you or your knowledge, but I'm no idiot either. I agree you get what you pay for-that's why I paid more.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright...I am not looking for anything fancy...just something that will get me around comfortably...I'm just gonna have to do some hw....

Mike <"))))))><

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Bergler said:
No one said you had to agree! Its my opinion as stated and if you compare apples to apples and do a little more home work you will see what I am talking about! China made or USA made? Yes it was cheeper, and the reason is cheaper is because the factory they are made at pays their workers (child labour) pennys a day!
You've been to the factory Berg? and seen the "Child" labour? Where about is the factory in China? I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
hey mike i would have to say that its probably not a good idea to just settle for a pontoon boat on a budget, i too own a skeeter and am very happy with the extra options that come standard. i waited for about a year and finally found a good deal on one so do your homework and search for that deal. cheers.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
finaddict said:
Bergler said:
No one said you had to agree! Its my opinion as stated and if you compare apples to apples and do a little more home work you will see what I am talking about! China made or USA made? Yes it was cheeper, and the reason is cheaper is because the factory they are made at pays their workers (child labour) pennys a day!
You've been to the factory Berg? and seen the "Child" labour? Where about is the factory in China? I'm curious.
Sorry, let me rephrase those comments," Men, Women & Children", still being paid penny's a day! Now if I am wrong I apolizie right now!! Have I been to those factorys, NO! Have you? How is that an issue, please explain! :wallbash:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Its pretty obvious bergler was just trying to make a point. whether his facts were true or not isnt the matter. he got his point across and thats all that is important. im with bergler when he sais what is the relevance. and as for prof's and bergler's differences, its all personal preference and opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My two cents:

For me, lack of storage space and transportation is a big issue, and had to be considered when shopping for a pontoon boat (that being said, I wanted to get away from the tube and get my butt out of the water). I picked up a Creek Company kick-boat (with the oar lock attachment) recently. Total cost was about $320.

The boat breaks down easily and stores in a large back pack, weighing +/- 35 lbs. I can set it up in about 10 minutes at the lake, and if I'm moving between waters, the assembled boat fits nicely in the back of my small truck.

I would not recommend taking it out in classified waters, but for small lakes, it does the trick. And since I keep it in a back pack, I don't have to worry about limited water access at some hike-in lakes.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice looking boat. Guess your ordering from Hub right? :thumbup: I have the Outcast Cougar. I love the quad pontoon design. Perfect for running rivers. The Fish Cat 10 is the runner up in my favorite pontoon boat list. Way to go, and have a blast with it. Oh, when running rivers, make sure you wear a PFD. I't can get sketchy at times. If I have time this fall, maybe we can get out and float a section of the Harrison or Vedder. :beerchug:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey, how come this is in the sin bin? good debate...I have a watermaster, made down in Montana I believe, easy to break down as there is no frame, can be used on pretty strong water, though no while fishing, which I learned the hard way on the Yakima this spring... :naughty: A bit pricey but another alternative to pontoons, also with the good seat an excellent lake boat..

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Scadden Skykomish Sunrise; rated for Class IV white water; and a casting platform for slow moving water / lakes.

Ras

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Ras said:
The Scadden Skykomish Sunrise; rated for Class IV white water; and a casting platform for slow moving water / lakes.

Ras
Does that mean it's good for 6 ft. holes ? How does the casting platform work? Does this mean
you can actually stand up on it?

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
marko said:
Ras said:

Ras
Does that mean it's good for 6 ft. holes ? How does the casting platform work? Does this mean
you can actually stand up on it?

:beerchug: Marko
Marko-Check out these pictures. The boats are waterskeeters, but the platforms are similar to what you find on any of the pontoon boats. Should only be used on still waters tho'.
http://www.waterskeeter.com/enlarge/c_wtrskt_07_34.jpg
http://www.waterskeeter.com/enlarge/c_wtrskt_07_06.jpg
http://www.waterskeeter.com/enlarge/c_wtrskt_07_32.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts