BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a pontoon . fished with a float tube for years and it is getting to cold . With the pontoon when fishing lakes do you still wear chest waders with fins . Was wanting to use the pontoon on rivers . What do you wear to keep dry ? . If anyone is going on a trip to a river I would love to try it . Built a stripped Kayak and have used it in rivers so I should have some idea on how to use a pontoon boat

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
You can wear waders and flippers and maneuover the pontoon boat with the as well as with the oars. You can also wear wading boots and fins if the weather is nice. For rivers, go with the waders and boots or naked, the choice is yours, depending on the weather (and your sense of adventure). On a river, you really have very little risk of getting wet, unless you are running pretty serious rapids, or it is raining.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great choice in getting into a pontoon boat. One of the upgrades I added after a few trips was longer oars. This has made a real positive change both for lakes and rivers.

Final addition was an anchor system...also a great decision.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Was in Langley Costco yesterday, they had one in there that had a wheel that folded up underneath the seat area when not in use for transporting it. Of course i can't remember the manufacturer or model. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some insight about the pontoon boat. I find, that fins are essential. However, I don't have any yet. It is a real pain in the butt when you hook a fish while trolling with two lines. Without fins, the wind can blow you back towards your other line. So while your playing the one fish, your other line gets tangled. It hasn't really been an issue for me. I geuss, I've been lucky. But one of these days I'm gonna have everything SNAFU on me big time.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i dont have that problem as im not a big fan of trolling for trout, unless thats the only way to catch them :confused: I like being anchored and casting/retrieve :thumbup: no need for flippers then :cheers: however the wind sometimes drives you crazy spinning you in circles :pissed: :pissed:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
HOOK said:
i dont have that problem as im not a big fan of trolling for trout, unless thats the only way to catch them :confused: I like being anchored and casting/retrieve :thumbup: no need for flippers then :cheers: however the wind sometimes drives you crazy spinning you in circles :pissed: :pissed:
Hey HOOK try a second anchor. I use a 10lbs ball off the back and a 6lbs off the front and that stops the spinning. You drop the back anchor but before locking it in place row a bit forward, then drop the 6lbs ball off the front straight down.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Mega Hemi said:
Congrats on the new 'toon boat. I've had lots of fun with my bellyboat. Has anyone ever set up a fish finder on a bellyboat or pontoon? That would be awesome on the lakes!! ??? :happy: :happy:
I regularly use an Eagle 128 on my pontoon. (Fish Finder showed me how to rig it up). It is great to actually know how deep you are when you fish.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
mcallagan said:
Was in Langley Costco yesterday, they had one in there that had a wheel that folded up underneath the seat area when not in use for transporting it. Of course i can't remember the manufacturer or model. :confused:
I'm wondering if it's the Classic Accessories boat (Orange or green in color). The Costco in the US had them on their website, but they're not listed on Costco.ca

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey professori, do you need a full size marine battery for your finder or is there a smaller one that weighs alot less? I see you must attach the sensor by suction cup and a strap? Got to get one for the lakes!! :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is a big difference in the demands of lake pontooning vs river pontooning. Fins are a great help in lake pontooning and what you wear is a function of the weather. cold and windy : wear the breathables and layer up, Warm and sunny , dig out the shorts and sandals.

If you plan to pontoon rivers, wear chest waders with a good chest belt. Spilling mid river with hip waders is a death sentence. Spilling with waders but no chest belt is chilly at best and dangerous at worst. If you research a river and go out well equiped, you probably won't have problems.

·
Registered
327 Posts
11th Warrior said:
mcallagan said:
I'm wondering if it's the Classic Accessories boat (Orange or green in color). The Costco in the US had them on their website, but they're not listed on Costco.ca
11th, that would be it. It was for $318.00

This is the Costco US site advert.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11287415&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|57266|60928&N=4019910&Mo=5&pos=5&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=60928&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11002-Cat57266&topnav=

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
pgbilly bought that same boat in Bellingham and was saying he really likes it. His buddy ran one under a log jam and when it came out the other side, there was a hinge pin broken, but that was it. Quick fix and he continued down the river.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here is a pic from one of our Kitimat floats this spring.

These boats stood up well, there was one universal issue we each had that was quickly rectified. The oar keepers would slide up the oar shaft, we tightened down on the wring and put a few wraps of electrical tape on the top side on the oar and she was good to go.

For the price I can't see how you could go wrong. Ironically on our way to Kitimat we stopped by a tackle shop in Smithers for a look see, and they had the same boats priced at $1000.00. Here in PG the these boats were listed in a flyer for $800.00 at x-mas time at a local fly shop.

Costco does have a very good warranty plan!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.