BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
i have seen it done..... i think they are absoully crazy but they have done it. i was fishin it one day... this dude drifted down the river in a u boat and was fishing hahahahahaha :happy: the u boat was last week the pontoon was last year about middle of august.

· Registered
894 Posts
did it in the height of the freshet this year.. lol big mistake when you have never rowed one before. launching at the run above train bridge and going to kwb should be an easy drift now.. just watch out for the dead heads and trees in that stretch

· Registered
209 Posts
be careful 8 friends of mine went down in a pontoon boat twice and all okay. kids wanted to go but parents wanted to go one more time. third time down boat capsized from log under water and strongest swimmer got caught under logs. somehow he got out and got to shore. 2 others almost drowned but got to shore. when they all showed up at the vedder river campground one of the guys walked up to his trailor and returned with a knife. that was the end of the pontoon boat. i have camped at the vedder river campground for over 25 years and every summer the teenagers come down in boats/kyacks/inertubes drinking there beer. every year people drown in the river due to there carelessness.

jim

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pontooned the Vedder from just above the crossing today, down to the train bridge, anyhow no problems at all and tons of fun, didnt take a rod with me, as it was my first time so wanted to see how it went.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I have pontooned the river several times under varying conditions. It is not a river to be taken lightly. It is very easy to get into trouble if you have no moving water experience. I have posted on this topic several times in the past. The main reasons for getting into trouble are
Inexperience, going solo, equipment failure, and alcohol. NEVER drift alone!!
I would recommend a drift from the train bridge to Keith Wilson for starters, then try it from the crossing. Reading the water for pontooning is very similar to fishing.....It takes time, and when you can recognize the problems well in advance, your chances of a safe trip are much higher.
Never do a river if you do not know what the river flow below you looks like...........Ortho 8)

· Registered
374 Posts
This thread came at the perfect time, as I'm considering doing a run down the Vedder in my 12 ft. raft. I do fish the Vedder and I have rafted in other smaller rivers, with medium flow, but never on the Vedder...yet. I suspect from the Crossing to Keith Wilson Bridge would be an easy class 1-2 drift, at most, eh? Up river looks a bit more challenging. I even thought of starting up at Chilliwack River Prov. Park,,,I hear it's still pretty tamed below that...any thoughts?

· Registered
166 Posts
With regards to pontooning or tubing the Vedder River, be extremely careful. On the FWR site, the tragic drowning death of a young girl in a log jam just above the Vedder Crossing was reported. They are recommending to not float the river in this section but to float it below the crossing bridge. My sympathy to the young girl's family on this tragic accident, and to exercise extreme caution if floating the river, as you can get into trouble quickly if you get caught up in a log jam or snag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.