BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Picked up a couple of those toons this spring and so far so good. Put in three full day drifts on the Kitimat and found the only problem was the oar keepers came a little loose and needed to be tightened. They seem well constructed, roughly 9 feet long and have lots of storage. For $300.00 and the old Costco warranty if something does go wrong, I think it's a steal.

Bill

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Glad they are working out for you. The Colorado boats have had spotty reviews in the past, but hopefully they have picked up their game. I like the fore and aft storage bags. not mudh use to you when you are on the water, but for packing up a shore lunch, spare gear, dry clothes, etc. they look like great .

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Gentlemen, this is the same boat I purchased back in Feb and you definitely can't go wrong with it!! If you want a review or sorts, check this out and read my post, 4th from the bottom.

I can't praise this boat enough, and $100 cheaper than I paid for mine. Like pg said, the oar keepers did come lose (twice), but I threw a couple of allen bolts in the hole and I haven't had a problem since. Couple with the Costco return policy and you can't go wrong...get one or two!!

[edit] I forgot to mention that we were in Costco in Nanaimo today and all they had for outdoor equipment were a couple of tents and a some wetsuits :( I wish costco.ca had the toons as well...I think my wife would enjoy it.

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey 11th warrior.. im interested in pontooning rivers like the vedder, stamp etc.. would it be ok to use? it says class 2, but im really not sure what that will mean. lol

· Registered
1,030 Posts
no way in hell would u catch me floating anything besides that kiddy pond in sardis with that thing! :naughty:

8 foot or go home if u wanna run any swift moving water! vedder has too much chop for a 7 footer!

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Mike D. said:
no way in hell would u catch me floating anything besides that kiddy pond in sardis with that thing! :naughty:

8 foot or go home if u wanna run any swift moving water! vedder has too much chop for a 7 footer!
The boat is 9ft, tip to tip. It's got 7' oars, which is probably what you misread.

I see where they've changed the rating to a Class II. My boat (which is a 2007 model) is only rated for Class I. I live on the Island so I wouldn't be much help with fishing the vedder, etc with this toon. I'm sure Prof, Hook, Stone (if his daughter isn't running him ragged yet, LOL) or a few other guys would be able to help you out more.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
That boat should handle the Vedder (from Tamahi down) with no trouble. It is the same size as my Waterskeeter and I took it down the Thompson last August. There was considerably bigger water than you are going to find on the Vedder and it had no trouble handling it (even the set of rapids I hit and the last thing Ortho said to me as I went in was "I think you'll be OK!"). You might seriously consider trying it out on something tame like the lower Alouette (Neaves road to Harris Road) before you hit faster water, and don't pontoon moving water solo. My wife and I did the Moyie in the Kootenays a couple of years back. This is perhaps the slowest river in BC, but we did managed to lose an argument with a mid-stream sweeper, that could have been serious if there weren't 2 of us.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
minnie-me said:
I can't remember the last time I saw someone drift the Vedder that wasn't in a kyack, could be dicey with all those hooks a flying. :eek:
Check with Ortho. He did it around this time last year I believe. Hardly any out on the river right now and won't be anyone after May 31.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.