BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok you guys that own pontoons I have one question:

what is the lowest denier you would recommend for stillwater fishing? I have been looking at a couple both made by Fishcat. one is 600 the other is 900 biggest difference is 200$ between them and one is only 56lbs the other is 75lbs which is heavier than i want to carry LOL

any info thanks

HOOK

I wanna make sure to have my new pontoon by the stillwater fishout ;D well i want it sooner so i can get good at rowing :-\ cause as it stands i kinda suck at rowing but i paddle amazingly, go figure

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Hook-I know money is always an important factor, but I would recommend you look at the more expensive model. It last years longer because it will stand up to the wear and tear of even stillwater usage better. Every time you beach the boat, you drag it over the stones and dirt and that wears the fabric. A heavier fabric will last much longer. Even more importantly, you will be able to use the heavier boat in flowing water with safety. Even tho' you are getting a 'toon for stillwater, why not prepare for the time to come (and come it will) when you decide to take a trip on the rivers. Shop around. there are good bargains to be had on various fishing sites' classified sections as well as at many shops. Right now is a slow time for pontoon sales and after xmas is even slower. you might find that the $200 difference almost disappears in January. :2cents:

p.s. check this boat out. this is a craft capable of doing the Thompson in.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
You'd be surprised at how easily something as innocent looking as a branch on a fallen log can slice through denier nylon like a hot knife on butter. My Fishcat 4 got a huge 6" gash from that.

If you can swing the heavier duty model, I would say that it's always worth it.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prof. your link didnt show up buddy

that sucks about your 'toon Stone I can spend whatever i want on one as I would like it to last a long time. I doubt i will be taking it on running water because water and I dont get along very well :-\ im not a big fan of swimming or taking a dunk when im out to fish LOL my luck i would go in anyway. oh the other difference is the cheaper one is 4.5'X9' where as the other is 5'X9' not sure if i really need a 9foot for myself. I was also looking at the 2person so i could get my girl out there but she said NO she rather have one of her own :thumbup: which is fine by me ;D

oh and i re-checked and they Denier difference is cheaper one is 840 for another 200 i get 900 is that worth it? shouldnt 840 be enough for what i want it for? if i did take it on streams they would be small and very slow moving NO RAPIDS like i said i dont swim (i do just not well or far)

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and with even further review I compared the two of them and the cheaper one has a classII river rating the other one has no rating. the more expensive one has a vinyl bladder with something called 1200 Ferrari for the outside protectant. cheaper one is 30Gauge PVC with the 840 Denier outing. from what you guys have told me the cheaper one is looking like the better one

did i also mention the cheaper one is on sale right now ;D almost 100$ of the price ;D ;D

HOOK

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I misunderstood the denier...I thought it was about nylon, but actually in the Fishcats, they are PVC as you have noted.

If you are not going to be drifting down moving water, then you are going to be more than fine with 8' pontoons in the lakes. Less weight to carry, and less time breaking your back pumping up the larger pontoons. ;D

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i booboobed because they are both 9foot but one is 4.5feet wide and one is 5feet wide i think im going to go with the on thats an sale because it has a river rating for classII and the other one doesnt because its a lower profile made for lake fishing (might not be good for rivers) I doubt i will do much if any river drifting but ya never know LOL

the weird thing is the weight difference 20lb diff. just because of a half foot width and 60Denier HMMMM sounds funky ;D

anymore tips keep them coming Thanks

· Registered
3,796 Posts
stone said:
I misunderstood the denier...I thought it was about nylon, but actually in the Fishcats, they are PVC as you have noted.

If you are not going to be drifting down moving water, then you are going to be more than fine with 8' pontoons in the lakes. Less weight to carry, and less time breaking your back pumping up the larger pontoons. ;D
Stone -It is a rating for the nylon which is PVC coated. some of the fishcat (and other manufacturers have a rating on their boats like 900,1200 denier. That indicates that the pontoons are 900 denier nylon on top and the bottoms are 1200 denier, all are then PVC coated.

You're making the right decision HOOK! I guarantee within the year you are making river trips (and buying another pontoon for the GF)! :thumbup:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so your telling me the cheaper one is the way to go ;D

thats what i wanna hear WOOHOO!!!!! cant wait to get this will probably order this weekend ;D

thanks guys

only downside is that i think it only comes in red but guess what I LIKE RED!!! ha ha ha and i dont care about colour as long as its not pink :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.