BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the board, and since i've joined i've spent months working out of town away. I'm back now, and am trying to get in as much fishing as I can! I've been hitting the beach's a bit lately doing some exploring, and I've come to a point where I'd like get into a boat, and my 14' just isn't the sneaky vehicle I need. I have a 9' pontoon boat, but it isn't a stainless version, its just a tube steel version. I have painted the frame with a "rust proof" paint, but if i took the pontoon out into the ocean, would it survive if i washed it off with fresh water immediately upon my return home? My other thought was "poling" my boat, but it's not super appealing pushing around a 14' fiberglass boat if i can just row a much lighter pontoon.

Does anyone have any experience stalking coastal flats in a 'toon? how do they handle wakes? anyone tipped one etc?

I look forward to any info/help.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hate to be a killjoy but the salt will kill that steel frame, no matter how hard you try. Washing it will help no doubt, in my experience you would need to wash every surface, nook and cranny. It will eventually destroy aluminum if left on long enough. It is a boat and it's made for fishing. Are you sure it's steel? Have you tested it with a magnet? IMO if you can deal with the fact that its going to get destroyed then use it, keep it as clean as possible but don't lose sleep about it. Go and fly catch some chromers.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well, I watched a couple guys in their pontoons over on the island, I didn't think about it too much other than:
"I wish I had a pontoon right now".
The water was relatively flat, they were catching fish and I just assumed they were aluminum framed.
I don't think I'd be too excited about using it off the mouth of the fraser, fast water or with much of a wind or chop.
In a pontoon you ride on top and will be bouncing around like a cork or lazily floating like one.
And as mentioned if you do use it in the salt; wash it (with soap) don't just rinse it.
or put some oar locks on your 14 footer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys,

Sink tip: It is definately a powder coated steel frame. I wish I had picked up a SS framed or aluminum framed 'toon, but thats what I got =) I think I will just throw her into the chuck and hope for the best.

Scissorbill: I would love to throw oar locks on my 14' but there is no middle seat. it was originally set for a console, so there is nothing in the centre and the way i have the seats set up, there is no rowing going on! lol. I would only be heading out to the west van beaches, or the cates to try this experiment, definately not the mouth of the fraser.

It just seems like it would be so handy to cover a beach with I suppose i could drift around in my boat too.

Thanks guys,

Jon

·
Registered
784 Posts
Goes without saying but be careful out there. Tides can get pretty hairy. I have used my pontoon in the salt this past summer and thus far have not had rust issues. I only used it in protected bays as the idea of rowing against a strong tide was not appealing. Hose it down afterwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
does anyone own a pontoon with the standup platform. do you use it very often is it worth the extra weight and price

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've used mine in the ocean quite a few times.....as far as stability...it's great....waves aren't a problem as it bobs over ....tides aren't a worry as it rides so high and you can row against the current....just like on a river...you can row upstream with some effort....but watch out for WIND and CURRENT together.....that's the combination that will wear you out. Know the tides in your area, be aware of points of land that could carry you out further than you like.
You don't need to venture far out anyways.....most of the coho are in close....target those. And bring a small heavy anchor....wear a Good PFD. Carry a cell phone.
I have an older powder-coated steel frame.....wash it down....I have noticed some rust around small metal clips/rings but frame seems okay. I put a little grease on my telescoping foot rests, metal to metal friction areas.
No doubt rust will show up but I don't let that keep me from fishing....and doing what I enjoy the most - especially on my older toon boat. I bought it to use and get me to where the fish are along with a little common sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts