BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, well I am trying to figure out what kind of Pontoon I should get for when I move out ya'll's way. If possible I want to get one that is durable and versatile enough to use in both lakes and rivers.I have never had one before and was just looking for peoples opinions on what to look for. If you have a one person model you could recommend it would be great, I don't think I want to be in the water, so if it has that option that would be good. As well, I am planning on hooking up my trolling motor to it so it needs to have the mounting bracket, and has to be able to collapse to fit in the back of an average SUV. As for price, I want one of good quality but don't have $1000 to spend so it needs to be reasonable. If you have any tips or accessories I may need that wont come with the toon it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I hummed and hawed over which one to get as well, with several excellent models on the market. I also asked here and was given excellent advice on a few models, but decided to go "overseas" and purchased this one:
Colorado XT

Got it a couple of weeks ago and, based on what others (not here) had said, I was prepared for any shorcomings....and there were none!! Out of the box, the boat went together quite easily in about 30 mins and I had it fully "operational" in about 45 mins (had to inflate the bladders). I let it sit in my living room for 2 days (wife was not happy, but understood) and it never deflated (meaning no leaks :thumbup:). I also purchased the optional seatpack and I'm not sure I'll actually need it. This boat has more storage than I'll probably need, even if I do a 3-4 day extended trip. It fits all my u/l backpacking gear along with most of my fishing gear (both fly and spinning). What won't fit, doesn't need to go with me anyway.

It easily breaks down to fit in the back of my Dodge Caravan with back seat folded flat so it "should" fit into your SUV. I haven't had it out on the water yet but I anticipate sometime in late March I'll be out for my first trip :happy:

Best of luck in whichever boat you chose and let us know how you make out. Where are you moving from/to?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
11th Warrior said:
I hummed and hawed over which one to get as well, with several excellent models on the market. I also asked here and was given excellent advice on a few models, but decided to go "overseas" and purchased this one:
Colorado XT

Got it a couple of weeks ago and, based on what others (not here) had said, I was prepared for any shorcomings....and there were none!! Out of the box, the boat went together quite easily in about 30 mins and I had it fully "operational" in about 45 mins (had to inflate the bladders). I let it sit in my living room for 2 days (wife was not happy, but understood) and it never deflated (meaning no leaks :thumbup:). I also purchased the optional seatpack and I'm not sure I'll actually need it. This boat has more storage than I'll probably need, even if I do a 3-4 day extended trip. It fits all my u/l backpacking gear along with most of my fishing gear (both fly and spinning). What won't fit, doesn't need to go with me anyway.

It easily breaks down to fit in the back of my Dodge Caravan with back seat folded flat so it "should" fit into your SUV. I haven't had it out on the water yet but I anticipate sometime in late March I'll be out for my first trip :happy:

Best of luck in whichever boat you chose and let us know how you make out. Where are you moving from/to?
Glad you got what seems to be a good one,11th. Before I bought my waterskeeters, I considered the colorado, but I heard way too many scary stories bout quality with them, so spent a bit more. This was 3 years age, however and I had heard from at least one source that their quality seemed better now. Let us know how it stands up to a season of fishing. :peace:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My season will probably only be 8 or 10 trips this year but I'll let ya know how it holds up. My extended trip will be in mid-late August...not sure where yet.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the link... Read the opinions there and I am slowly making progress in understanding the pontoons. Any suggestions as well for where to buy? I was thinking there's gotta be a decent place near PG and may also grab one from Cabelas. 11th Warrior as for where I am moving to, the plan is PG cause of the University there, I currently live in the GTA of ontario... Thanks and please keep opinions and tips coming

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Where's PG? Prince George? UNBC? What are you going to take? There is a tackle store up there but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure someone here will have it though.

Cabelas was very easy to deal with. Keep in mind that UPS charges an extra fee (about $60 on top of normal shipping) because it's an "oversized" package.

I know a little bit of Toronto. I grew up near Belleville.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you're looking on a brand recommendation, the two I would recommend would be Outcast (makers of the Fishcat series) and Bucks Bags, in that order.

As for what to look for, a sturdy aluminum frame and at least a 9' pontoon if you're going to be going down rivers. The extra length will not really be noticable in the lakes, but you'll notice it on the rivers. Good quality oars are also important. Some have a nice pulley system built into the rear of the frame ready for an anchor. If it comes with a nice seat, great...if not, you can always get one from Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciated stone... I will take a look at them, Did look at the Bucks bags already, nice looking product forsure.

Yup UNBC in Prince George. Belleville is a nice town, some Big Bucks and Huge Walleye come out of the BOQ, try and make a few trips up there every year if I can. Still hoping to make it before ice fishing closes... need one in the double digits, I may be close but not there yet lol

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Since you're familiar with the area, I actually grew up in Trenton (Airforce brat). I fished the Bay of Quinte from the time I was 13 until I was 23 and moved away. My largest Walleye was 16lbs and my largest Bass was a 4.5lb smallie :thumbup:

Just below #1 dam there's a small, deep stream on the "industrial" side which leads in from the river. It's probably 15-17 feet deep and the fish hold there just before the humidity rolls in and they head for the deep bay. If you're going down for ice fishing, park the car at the cold storage facility (near the legion) and head out towards the island in the middle of the Bay. Fish on the North side and you should do ok :beerchug:

·
Registered
338 Posts
have any of you fished out of a water master? They are pretty cool looking, and the light weight and packability seem like good features. I had a chance to buy one second hand a few years ago, but it would have blown my whole recreation budget that semester, so I chose the beer instead. I am thinking I want one now, but I'd like to hears reviews.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
ambler said:
have any of you fished out of a water master? They are pretty cool looking, and the light weight and packability seem like good features. I had a chance to buy one second hand a few years ago, but it would have blown my whole recreation budget that semester, so I chose the beer instead. I am thinking I want one now, but I'd like to hears reviews.
ambler - Here is a pretty ood discussion about water asyers http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=6080

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Unfortunately, this only compares the pontoon boats sold by cabelas. Waterskeeter, Outcast and Bucks Bags are not there, even though they are probably the best three pontoons out there. Only a couple of Fishcat models as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome guys Thanks for all the info and it doesn't need to stop... Guessing I should be looking at the Outcasts, waterskeeters, and Bucks bags.

Thanks for the Tip warrior... I have spent a bit of time and a summer at 8th wing... at TACSTC... got outta there and decided to try the other bases... 3 Bagotville was nice been there 2 times... If you were a base brat I figure you must have been part of 704 Air Force City? Or maybe this is an incorrect assumption.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Like others have said...a good aluminum frame, & good quality oars. A set of 'Oar-Rights' to keep your paddles true and a quality life jacket.

I have owned my Bucks bag 10' since the 90's & have no bad things to say about it. The Thompson, Gold, Bulkley, Skeena & Fraser have beaten on this little raft & it still floats O0 Just don't cheap out if your using it on our wesrcoast rivers ! Lake pontoons and river pontoons are two different boats.

tight loops

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Bill Parker said:
Awesome guys Thanks for all the info and it doesn't need to stop... Guessing I should be looking at the Outcasts, waterskeeters, and Bucks bags.

Thanks for the Tip warrior... I have spent a bit of time and a summer at 8th wing... at TACSTC... got outta there and decided to try the other bases... 3 Bagotville was nice been there 2 times... If you were a base brat I figure you must have been part of 704 Air Force City? Or maybe this is an incorrect assumption.
I did do some time at TACSTC, but as a Civilian Instructor, not as a member of the CIC...it wasn't my cup of tea (being a CIC).

Thinking about joining the reg force?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No reg Force for me... have lotsa friends at tacstc who were CIC and CI's, hope ya werent a BCO lol, thats a job. Ok so I will somewhat rephrase my Question, as I have no idea really what to expect. I want to get a Pontoon which I can use in both rivers and lakes out BC ways that will cost me hopefully no more than $1000, I understand that this may be tough but I am keeping my fingers crossed lol. Any Particular models you all may suggest from Outcast, Waterskeeter, and bucks bags? Again it needs to be compatible with an electric motor as well, ya know for those lazy days
thanks again!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.