BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally!!!!!!!! i'm no longer a steelie virgin. Hit a local flow yesterday ;), and after 3 hrs of enjoying the scenery my luck turned. As my float went down I stared in disbelief, only briefly, as I set the hook hard and let out a loud "Whoop"!!! 10 minutes later I gave the 8lb doe a kiss on the forehead and whatched her swin off back into the flow. Valuable lessons were learned yesterday. ones I won't forget. :D :D :D 8) 8) ;D thank god the 3yr drought is over. now I'm hooked for good. ;D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Great job man!! It sure is nice to get that first one isn't it? ;D ;D I still remember mine, about an hr into the day, the float rockets under and you get the headshakes. After a bout 30 seconds into that fight I remember saying to myself, " God, this thing is freakin strong". That fish brought up the heart rate from sheer excitment, and everyone since does the same thing. Hope you many in the future, only gets better from here on in as you learn more and more. Congrats. ;) Now if I could only get one hooked up this year!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ribwart said:
Sweeet! Congrats weev...! What were the valuable lessons you learned? Just out of curiosity... ;)
thanks Rib. :D lessons. presentation and speed of the flow. After years of flyfishing creeks and rivers it's was hard to adjust the brain to where the steelhead hold. They are certainly not where any self respencting trout would be holding. particulary in high water conditions. as for presentation. bigger and brighter especialy w/ clouded green water. I recently did alot more reading about steelhead and lo and behold it paid off. that and some words of wisdom from my father," If the float drops once, even if you think it was a rock,go right back and hit that same stretch again!" As well, working a run from head to tailout and working each succesive cast from in close to further out covering all the water is key. After watching you work the living bejesus out of that pool where we met this fall I have a whole new respect for the meaning of, " working a pool". you worked, I was too casual and you were rewarded w/ a nice little spring I believe shortly after I left. I still have tons to learn but yesterdays success certainly helped clarify a number of issues.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ribwart said:
Nicely done weev...good points too...what did you get her on?
bright pink roe bag. toonie size chunk of roe. check your PM

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Way to go Weev! Once you hook your first and add that experience to the knowledge you have gleaned from all your previous outings the flood gates will open for you I'm sure. The article in the most recent BC Fishing magazine has a lot of helpful hints for fishing high water. Sounds like you have read that article as it talks about super sizing your hardware as well as fishing the rubns "hard".

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track Weev,way to go.Patience is the vertue, working evey
nook and cranny. Now all you have to do is repeat your newly aquired skills for a real confedence
booster and it will be off to the derby for you....Marko... ;D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds like you were using the "SUPERSIZE" :eek: bright pink roe bag. toonie size chunk of roe. ;D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice Job.
I'm still waiting on my first.... From the Vedder that is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Green Machine said:
The article in the most recent BC Fishing magazine has a lot of helpful hints for fishing high water. Sounds like you have read that article as it talks about super sizing your hardware as well as fishing the rubns "hard".
spot on BGM that. was one of the articles. another was in the most recent issue of STS. thanks for the congrats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts