BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a crazy day for fishing at duval, lots of springs coho and pinks around, we fished for 10 hours yesterday managed a 16 pound wild coho, lost a couple of big springs, came in with 4 pinks for the smoker, landed lots of fish yesterday and lots of killer whales making there way through all day was non stop action

Today

was allot slower we went out this morning first light to find a pod of killer whales at duval point so no fish, once they left and we hooked 2 pinks got some roe from them, i got one pink and the baby killer whale came back after my fish i got it in thankfully, the other killer whales MOMMA whale i take was about 30 feet long or more and had a dorsal fin about 6 feet tall, swam right under the boat freaky but awesome... i guess it was in the bay maybe teaching baby to hunt salmon cause it was a spectacular sight... these huge whales were no further then 5 feet away from the boat with the water being so clear we could see them cruising under the boat !!!

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Pretty cool, had a similar experience off the south end of Bowen In sept. lots of fish, seals, then
a large pod of killers formed a bait ball all around us. Man what rush.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
marko said:
Pretty cool, had a similar experience off the south end of Bowen In sept. lots of fish, seals, then

It was a rush allright, especially when one of them is charging your boat full speed then quickly dips under the boat at the last second then you can see it turn and come back , I had an instantly sick feeling in my stomach watching these giant whales circle the boat !!!!

To go on a whale watching tour costs $120 per person !!! And they can only stay 100 meters from them, they came within 5 feet from our 18 ft whaler today for free, and the worst part of it all, my camera battery was dead and left the charger at home ::) that would have made some awesome pics.

we reeled in everythign as fast as we could and shut off and tilted the motor up as well so they would stay clear from anythign hanging down, we were worried they were gonan hit the boat as they came so close to us, pretty neet to see the eyes so close as they swam around, and the blow hole has some serious loudness to it that close LOL !!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ya its truly amazing :thumbup:

I once witnessed a pod of killer whale breaching and landing on seals , knocking them out so the younger whales could practise their killing skills and that was just off the sand head near Vancouver airport. IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE WITNESSED.

Not the cruelty but how nature takes care of itself and teaches it young

If any of you want to witness killer whales just hang out at the sandhead early early in the mornings , I bet you will get lucky and see them :happy: or another good area is just off five fingers (just outside of Nanaimo) along a northerly direction towards bowan Island

Good Luck , its worth a couple hour wait and hey the fishing is good there too
Cape R

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
FishFreak said:
marko said:

It was a rush allright, especially when one of them is charging your boat full speed then quickly dips under the boat at the last second then you can see it turn and come back , I had an instantly sick feeling in my stomach watching these giant whales circle the boat !!!!

To go on a whale watching tour costs $120 per person !!! And they can only stay 100 meters from them, they came within 5 feet from our 18 ft whaler today for free, and the worst part of it all, my camera battery was dead and left the charger at home ::) that would have made some awesome pics.

we reeled in everythign as fast as we could and shut off and tilted the motor up as well so they would stay clear from anythign hanging down, we were worried they were gonan hit the boat as they came so close to us, pretty neet to see the eyes so close as they swam around, and the blow hole has some serious loudness to it that close LOL !!!
Nice to see you were thinking about their well-being!

When coming back from saltspring island last July, We saw a pod of them off the bow. The ferry has to slow down to minimize the chance of hitting one of them so it made a great show!

Awesome animals. It blows me away that there are these things so close to home! You always think you have to go to Africa to see some mind blowing nature. It's here in our backyards!

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.