BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone going down for the Coho Derby. (Sept30/Oct 01)

I can hardly wait........Any reports on how the fishing is going there presently.

Brian

·
Registered
55 Posts
Breiber, fished there on Sat. Sept. 16th. Spring fishing was slow. Coho was good for fish up to 15lb, but can anyone tell me the logic behind the regs stating 4 fish limit on coho, 2 hatchery outside the boundary( which there are virtually none to speak of or shall I say lots of unclipped "Hatchery rats ") or 2 inside the can bouy that are of the " Unclipped" variety that may or may not be " Wild " or unclipped hatchery fish that are also non-exsistent at this time? 2 years back, a friend and I fished the derby and the winning fish came from way outside the legal boundary, ( about 5-8 miles outside!) We caught and released over 150 fish in the span of less than three days out there yet returned home with under our 2 day limit of so-called " Hatchery fish", or should I say " Clipped " To think that we had to stress out that amount of fish just so we could get our measly limit, was and is a preposterous notion, as we would have been more than happy to go out and get things over with in as short a time frame as possible, instead of wondering if the fish we released with the utmost of care were going to survive, especially the 20 plus pounders, some of which would have surely been " Derby " contenders, and I can assure you that some of them did'nt make it, ( I can just hear all you guides ) Last year the revised retention limit allowed for one "un-marked" coho to be retained outside the regular boundary. It was a poor return, but some lucky fellow walked away with $13,700. From what I have heard from the locals as well as marina staff is that there is virtually no enforcement, everyone keeps what they catch no matter where, and as long as they don't know or refuse to care D.F.O. is a continued waste to taxpayers. I have seen them out there doing what they call monitering, with the big coast gaurd boat/ fisheries vessel, yet have never seen them launch the Zodiak to check compliance of regulation. So go fishing. I'll be fishing Renfrew from Sept. 29th- Oct. 7th, and will do so within the parameters of the law,......... I think. I guess I'll ask the locals what they think. I know what they think of D.F.O. Power to the people!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chalupa,
Are you aware of any good areas to target some bottom fish as well in Renfrew? (other than the obvious......Swiftsure)

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts