BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to grab a GPS. I'm looking for a portable unit that can handle nuaticle maps as well. I'm planning on using it in my boat on the coast, hiking, fishing etc. Anyone have any suggestions, looking to spend around 200 bucks.
I did read up on the Lowrance ifinder H2O and it seems like a good unit. Does anyone have one that can vouch for it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I prefer Garmin ...... just my opinion ....... and the 76 series is waterproof & even floats just in case you drop it. Might be a little more money than what you wanted to spend but well worth it.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Magellan Meridian GPS that I use mostly for Geocaching, but also gets taken out in the bush and on the water. When I am side by side with people that have Garmins in iffy satellite situations I seem to have better reception. Maybe the new ones are different. Whatever you get, get one that has mapping if you can afford it.

James

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a garmin 60c it's a good unit. It's waterproof and has internal memory. A liitle pricey but I'm very happy with it. Cheers

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for th input guys. I am looking for a unit that could take an external memory card. I want to be able to put nuatical topo maps as well as my trail topo maps on there. Of course waterproofness is an issue as well as price.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been doing a lot of research on the available, affordable units out there and am in a toss up. It will Either be the GArmin GPSMAP 76 or the Lowrance Ifinder H20. From what I can tell the Lowrance's one advantage is the external memory card. So here is the big question. Is the GPSMAP 76 8MB of internal memory sufficient enough space for maps? I would like a unit that I don't always have to reprogram every time I go out. I will be putting Bluechart or equivelent on it as well as topo maps of the lower mainland. Any thoughts here? How much memory does a map take up?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trav... did you ever get to a final decision and find the answers you were looking for. I am in the same situation right now - debating on a GPSMAP 76Cx and had many of the same questions - found a good distributor in Calgary too...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately not yet, and I am planning on getting one soon. I was looking on ebay and found a Magellan Explorist 500 for about $176 canadian. The downside is that the units are refurbished, thats why they are so inexpensive. It does come with a lithium battery, charger and a bonus 500mb memory card plus a 90 day warranty. With the expandable memory and the colour screen I am tempted to pick one up. I haven't looked much farther into the GPSMAP 76 because of the $$$.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
From what I can tell the Lowrance's one advantage is the external memory card.
Trav ..... I have a GPSmap76CX ....... it also has a replaceable memory card (like a camera). I have the Bluechart loaded on it for the West Coast and Inside Passage with lots of room for more. Great detail.

Is the GPSMAP 76 8MB of internal memory sufficient enough space for maps?
The GPSmap 76 has lots of room for the maps you would want .... no problem.

I will be putting Bluechart or equivelent on it as well as topo maps of the lower mainland. Any thoughts here? How much memory does a map take up?
The Bluechart maps for the Inside Passage (Approx. $150.00) include the Fraser, Harrison, Harrison Lake, Pitt, Pitt Lake the West Coast of the Mainland and East Coast of Van. Island all the way up to Port Hardy and further.

Hope this helps ...

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought that I would add this for anyone on the marjet for a GPS unit right now. Costco is carrying the Magellan Explorist 600 for only $300 bucks!!! Compare at $400, the cheapest I have seen it yet. Plus you get the best warranty around ;D ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if we are supposed to open post these, but http://www.gpscentral.ca/products.htm seems to be the cheapest I have found so far... am still thinking the Cx for the extra hundred bucks... something about me - fishing - and a FLOATING gps sounds like a good fit...

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Well I couldn't access the up comming London Drugs flyer but there is a sweet looking unit with all the bells.

Hear's a brief;

...Magellan ~ The worlds first pocket-sized CrossoverGPS tm
All the std.features of the advanced auto navigationalGPS products plus the ability to go from
the open road to the great outdoors. With easy-to-use touch-screen menus and no subscription
or monthly fees,"this is aurguably the best portable GPS unit you can get!"

~Built in maps- NAVTEQ streetlevel maps,50 states,Pueto Rico and Canada
~Turn by turn voice and visual guidance
~Auto re-rout- gets you back on track when you are not
~Smart de-tour
~External Memory card-unlimited SD card expantion for topo maps and media
~QuickSpell-Easily enter addresses with efficient auto-complete feature
~Rechagable battery-Up to 8hrs of continuous use
~Rugged and waterproof to IPX-4
~Night view-pop up display of upcomming turn
~Intergrated MP3 Player and Picture Viewer
~1.5 Million points of interest (POI)- Easily finds gas stations, restaurants,ATM's airports,parks
and more....#XOVER GPS

.....This thing is in colour and approx 3in high x 4 in wide

..........$ 529.99 or $50. per month for 12 months (plus applicable taxes)

Prices are in effect March 6 - 18

Just thought I'd pass this along, a little pricey but when are they going to cram
all that into our cell phones........?

....Cheers...Marko... ;D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've been a fan of Lowrance's GPS products for a long time. I used to own their old Eagle Explorer, and currently still have an iFinder. I've always liked the fast satellite lock and love the tenacious way the units seem to hold on to that lock even in deep brush.

My very first GPS unit was an old Magellan...and that POS wouldn't even lock on to my position while driving on HWY #1. I almost threw it out the window, but opted to return it for a refund instead. I'm sure that Magellan's new products are just fine...but I've had such great experiences with Lowrance's products that I have bothered to switch brands.

Garmin is reputed to be an excellent brand as well. A good friend of mine is a bush pilot in the North West Territories flying Otters and Beavers on floats and skis. He trusts his life to a Garmin unit (albeit a professional model that most of us wouldn't shell out the money for occassional use)...and this is testimony enough for me.

Good luck with whatever you buy. Go to a good retailer who actually know what they are selling, instead of places like Crappy Tire. Unless you already know exactly what you want...in which case the big shoebox retailers might have better pricing. :beerchug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll chime in on the Garmin's as well. I've gone through two eTrex's and they have both been excellent. Good aftermarket and online support for the devices and software. Also GPSCentral is always identified on various online forums as an excellent place to buy GPS's from in Canada.

Good luck. GPS's are great fun and have a ton of utlity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts