BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

we're going to be camping at Porteau Cove near the end of April and I was wondering if someone could help me make sense of the regulations. We'll be doing some crabbing, but am wondering about bottom fishing. I've seen some guys fish it and I've heard its closed by others. Looking at the regs I see conflicting reports as well... any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You are in 28-4 there I believe.

Regs

Take note of the top of this link.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.htm

Other finfish ......rockfish and lings are 100% closed and have been for a few years now. There are certain folk who don't care though! You CAN fish for sole, flounder, greenling and sculpin! ;)

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.htm
Scotty, Pretty sure this park area is closed to fishing of ALL finfish 100% all year long. Not even sculpins.....crabs or any marine life. Nada, zilch zippo,

The following park areas are closed to the harvest of all marine life for the preservation of the unique underwater habitat.
Closures apply to all fishing of all marine life, all year:

Porteau Cove — Those waters east of a line drawn from a fishing boundary sign at the south shore of Porteau Cove northerly in a straight line to the white fishing boundary sign on the north shore of Porteau Cove

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Not only that there is also apparently a mercury poisoning problem from a train derailment some years ago. The cars are still down there although they pulled the locomotive out.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Scotty, Pretty sure this park area is closed to fishing of ALL finfish 100% all year long. Not even sculpins.....crabs or any marine life. Nada, zilch zippo,

The following park areas are closed to the harvest of all marine life for the preservation of the unique underwater habitat.
Closures apply to all fishing of all marine life, all year:

Porteau Cove — Those waters east of a line drawn from a fishing boundary sign at the south shore of Porteau Cove northerly in a straight line to the white fishing boundary sign on the north shore of Porteau Cove
Ya.....that is why I said to note the "top of this link" in my reply. ;) I figured if he was crabbing he may have a boat with him to get outside the park or head north or south along the shore following 99. The no fishing signs are VERY evident from the highway in a number of languages.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There are 2 huge white triangles, one towards squamish on the point, and another just past porteau cove towards vancouver on another point. THis is closed to fishing on the inside of this. If you have a boat you are bound to find some spots to catch a few.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I was just there for a week and yes there are boundary triangles marking the closed area to all fishing. we did see small boats set crab traps just outside the boundaries for crabs. Not sure how they did.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was just there for a week and yes there are boundary triangles marking the closed area to all fishing. we did see small boats set crab traps just outside the boundaries for crabs. Not sure how they did.
Probably can catch a few but they will be small and not too many. I have dove Porteau many times and there are a few crabs there, but not many. The local octopi like to take good care of them ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts