BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of camping out at PC since the kiddies are back to school now :)

Has anyone tried fly fishing for Searun Cutty's there?

Thx in advance.

p.s. I'm never caught a SRC yet so am only guessing that this might be a good time based on what I've read in the book..."The Gilley".

·
Registered
886 Posts
Most definitely worth a shot going there for sea-run cutts... I will contact a good friend of my in the next 24hrs who fishes religiously for sea-run cutthroat and PM you some more discreet information on areas too target... :cheers: sage

·
Registered
24 Posts
gbskunk2006 said:
Was thinking of camping out at PC since the kiddies are back to school now :)

Has anyone tried fly fishing for Searun Cutty's there?

Thx in advance.

p.s. I'm never caught a SRC yet so am only guessing that this might be a good time based on what I've read in the book..."The Gilley".
Will be very interested how your trip was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I was wondering about the fishing regs there as well. In any event, I ended up "Cutt-less on the Sunshine Coast" instead :)

Porteau Cove was fully reserved, so working on a hunch, I took a little detour and ended up staying at Saltery Bay Provincial Park which is only about 25 KM south of Powell River. Although the site is located in a georgeous setting, the beach access was probably not too conducive for SRC as it was steep and extremely rocky. Barely made it on for the last ferry home last night too :)

The learning curve for these elusive fish continues!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think I read somewhere they like small gravel beaches, fairly flat with that sea grass (I think that's what it's called)...

I've never done it on the salt... just a few rivers on the island where they come in with the high tide. got a beauty 5ish lb'er a few years back on my first try.

would like to do it but need to meet a "new friend" who knows how/where to give it a shot....nothing worse than being totally clueless and being "that guy" that's out there pounding empty water haha.

part of the fun as well though...also as rewarding to be clueless and dig into some real gold

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Had a decent day saturday for src's locally...as always, it required some hunting the beaches, but managed to get into 5 or 6 myself, and my girlfriend picked up her first on the new flyrod I bought her for her b-day... :thumbup:

She had a riot and managed to get a handful of her own...tough to land them with the waves crashing etc...might be a good idea to bring a small, soft mesh landing net...

Nothing wrong with the short line release at your feet though...those of you wondering where to, there are a number of good beaches around, Ouch posted about one of them, but there are many others worth checking out...I've managed to find them on a couple beaches so far, but they're likely cruising them all...

Bronjuan, you're spot on about the rocky beaches...when the cutts are active, you will also notice them busting the surface with regularity...keep your eyes peeled. ;)

I'm by no means an expert, and haven't fished Porteau, but man do I love cutties...they're about the only smaller fish that I truly love fishing for...

Happy Hunting,

rib

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Riwart,

When you say "required some hunting the beaches", typically should there always be a creek or stream around in close proximity? If yes, how far away from the creek will SRC normally venture (e.g. meters or kilometers)?

At least I'll know how much walking I'm going to be doing :)

Thx in advance.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Not necessarily GB...for instance, where I was this evening there wasn't a river or creek for miles, just a nice gradually sloping beach...as for the "hunting" part...what I mean is scanning the water up and down the beaches...those cutties will show themselves. Either you will see fry boiling and jumping out of the water, or more likely you will see larger slashing boils where the cutts are actually smashing bait near the surface...this almost always happens close to shore, within casting distance...

Those fish truly are "sea run" fish, they don't just venture out of a creek for a while, they spend many months or more out in the ocean, and then return to the creeks to spawn...so you don't really have to have any creeks nearby to find them...

I've also noticed it seems to be best to look for them on the high tide...although I do find some on the low tide as well, I'm beginning to get the idea from my successes and failures, that the high tide is best...

As for how much walking...sometimes a mile or two, sometimes you rarely have to move more than 20-40 feet...

It can be tough fishing too gb, today I fished for about 3 hrs after work, and only got 2, and that was in a span of 15-20 mins...the rest of the time I stood there waiting for them to show themselves...sometimes you get none, while somedays are fantastic and you find them regularly with brief intervals of lesser activity...

Hope that helps...

:cheers:

rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Some more info for you cutty guys out there...something I've come up with that explains some poorer fishing of late. A little more than a week ago I enjoyed great success, then come mid week last week, it slowed down considerably. Activity was way down and sporadic at best. I realized that the tide cycle has even more to do with it than I had originally thought. The variance between the high and low was very minimal during the good fishing days, while those days when the low and high tides were far apart in depth, the fishing was poor. Makes perfect sense when you consider the shallow sloping beaches are where they go on these feeding frenzies...more time for them to feed and more time for us to feed them...

Something to keep in mind for those of you out hunting src's. Judging by my journals it fits the pattern of fishing to a T...

By the way, nice meeting you out there GBskunk...see ya again soon...

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.