BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of issues the Chilliwack hatchery is facing? There are some rumors that they are having funding issues and that Steelhead may be the target of cutbacks as they are the most expensive to rear. If true -- :wallbash: :pissed:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I hate that all the money that comes from sportfishing goes to the general revenue pool... Its time for a change and there is no better time for a change than NOW. :cheers: sage

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was under the impression that all monies collected from Non Tidal Licenses went towards the cost of licensing and then to the Freshwater Fisheries Society.

I am unsure how those monies relate to anadromous fish and the associated hatcheries.

Does anyone have evidence of how or where the monies from licensing are alloted. I do know historically a large portion of revenues generated by the provincial government went to general revenue as opposed to the program the created the revenue. Arguably not wrong if the have not program area budgets were supplemented by the high revenue well funded program areas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Recently Brian chan has been named director of the freshwater society and according to Brian all money from the licences will now be directed to the society and it is left up to brian and the society to use this money for fish enhancement,ie hatcheries and environment etc.This organization is a non profit society so all money will be used in a positive manner,as a result of this it is the societies goal to increase the amount of licences sold and make it easier for people to become involved in fishing and as a result there will be more money to be spent enhancing our provincial fisheries,one of the results of thier efforts is the e licencing that is coming into effect.So i think if there are concerns like the chilliwack hatchery steelhead program reducing the numbers of fish released, Brian would be the person that should be spoken to in order to get the facts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Beautiful. Thanks for the answers Rick and Searun.

Rick , I realize it says so on the license. I should have been more specific, I was once a government employee and one of the things that drove me nuts was the spin doctoring of wording to create a statement that was technically accurate yet very disingenuous. My license is not at hand, I wonder if they still provincial logos or wording printed on them or if FFSBC is responsible for the wording.

I wonder though if there is available a breakdown of the dollars i.e. a dollar(?) goes to the vendor, a portion must be used for the printing and distribution etc. I have no doubt that all the expenses are required and managed well, just curious what they look like.

Cut and paste from dictionary.com

dis·in·gen·u·ous /ˌdɪsɪnˈdʒɛnyuəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dis-in-jen-yoo-uhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere: Her excuse was rather disingenuous.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Just taking a shot here, but I don't think the Freshwater Fisheries Society has anything to do with Steelhead or Salmon hatcheries. Those all fall under the control of DFO (feds). FFSBC is rfeally concerned with stocking and maintaining freshwater trout and char. Funding from licenses goes to them, not to steelhead enhancement

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part of the problem apparently is that the DFO hasn't increased funding for some years, but we all know that everything else related to the hatchery operations has gone up in price over that time.

And Prof you are right, Steelhead and Salmon are DFO funded not MOE, and FFSBC is mainly concered with freshwater lakes stocking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Professori I think you are probably right that Dfo may very well be still in charge of the steelhead,but if this is true it makes absolutely no sense to me,why would they allow all the licence money to go to the freshwater society to use at their 5 hatcheries for only trout and char,some of these licences are bought and paid for by people that fish salmon and steelhead,were is the money coming from for taking care of those fish stocks,dont you think some of it should be coming from licence sales?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
searun17 said:
Professori I think you are probably right that Dfo may very well be still in charge of the steelhead,but if this is true it makes absolutely no sense to me,why would they allow all the licence money to go to the freshwater society to use at their 5 hatcheries for only trout and char,some of these licences are bought and paid for by people that fish salmon and steelhead,were is the money coming from for taking care of those fish stocks, dont you think some of it should be coming from licence sales?
Funding from provincial (freshwater0 licenses goes to FFSBC. DFO is the federal gov't and has no say in how BC disburses funds related to provincial licensing. I don't believe funds from tidal (federal) licenses are diverted to FFSBC. Doesn't matter what I think should be done.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Chilliwack river is one of my favourite rivers so I would be dissappointed if the hatchery closed or downsized, but hatcheries are not going to save the salmon. I do a lot of ocean fishing for salmon, In the years before the coho collapsed I used to catch a lot of Cohos, very few of the cohos I caught were hatchery fish. The hatchery system only produces a small percent of the fish and are located in few river systems.

Protecting the fish through conservation and enhancements would protect more fish and maintain diversity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.