BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally (and many others) think posting pics of thompson steelhead on the internet is not the greatest idea. I see more people blanking out the back ground area of the vedder for salmon fishing ???
There is enough pressure on the fish already and seems to be getting worse every year and added avertising is definitely not helping.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
It's nice to see most of the guys who are serious about steelheading have the sense to not post about rivers with low runs of wild steelhead, :beerchug:, to you guys and thanks for being humble enough to just go Steelheading and not have to bathe in internet glory.

A Thompson Steelhead laying on the bare rocks because some ass clown doesn't feel the need to wear waders pisses me of more than anything. I once tried to rejuvinate a 20 pound doe at Coopers that some guy had killed overplaying and not being able to land because he had no waders and wouldn't get in the water to land it.

You run the risk of putting these types of anglers on rivers they should graduate to with internet reports, at least consider that when posting about such spots.

My :2cents:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well for myself I love taking pics of my fish not so much to post it online but for the memory of the day for myself. I dont fish by myself alot so I can take pics of my fish easily because i can tail them IN THE WATER regardless of having waders on or not, and the other person can take the pic ;D If im alone I dont take pics unless i bonk the fish then take a pic of it on shore. Im pretty sure you've seen my fish pics and im always standing in the water unless the fish is dead. :beerchug: it was nice to see his fish however it being on shore isnt cool however I would assume he was wearing waders to fish the T. how can you really fish it effectively without them. Nice fish DP

tight lines

HOOK

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
believe or not i see guys fishing the T without waders and in thier running shoes all the time up there, and i can't see them getting in the water to land and release fish in this kind of cold weather. Hate to say it but it's always guys fishing gear, who can't go out and spend a couple of buck for a pair of waders, let alone some cheap gum boots so they can land and release fish properly on a sensitive C&R system like the T.

· Registered
58 Posts
well the fact that the thompson is no big secret and isn't as accessible as some other systems and you also need a steelhead stamp plus classified waters stamp means that the thompson shouldn't end up like the vedder (hopefully) People are also only posting in the members section which is limited exposure and most of the people in this section are experienced anglers. I don't think there's any harm in showing pics. That being said, I can certainly understand your concern for this delicate system. Proper C&R is definitely a concern but a seperate issue. Cheers!

· Registered
2,676 Posts
We saw a gum boot clad guy jump in on some one yesterday. :p :naughty: Lets just say he didn't make any friends. Anyhow the bottom line for anyone wanting to venture up there for the first time, is these fish must stay in the water. And if you can afford to make the trip up, then you can afford to buy some waders. ::) If a picture is desired, only for a quick snap should it be lifted. However only after the picture taker is ready to take that shot. That protective slime is that fish's defence against the elements. Once it's rubbed off that opens the fish's skin to infection, and puts that fish at a higher risk for death after release. Respectfully my :2cents:

Finder

· Banned
279 Posts
When I saw this picture of the Thompson steelhead laying on dry rocks I actually rubbed my eyes in disbelief. I have yet to ever fish the Thompson but am hopefully makeing my first trip EVER sometime soon. I didn't realize that kind of fish handling was acceptable there? Steelie 101, was he wearing waders, Was there actually nowhere he could safely land the fish? There is no trophy fish that deserves that kind of handleing. Last year on the Vedder I tied into a 20+ pound steelhead. It tanked me by takeing me well over 100 yards on my 3113 mb. We had the fish in, my buddy Shane(from the forum) tailed it. He had it in his hand and was holding the mainline. He was bent over because if he waded in the water the gravel was not solid and it dropped off very quick. We took extreme care handleing this fish and we could have surfed it but did we? No we didn't. Shane held the fish in the water as I was going to pick it up for a quick picture as you sure don't catch 20+ pound steelhead that are over 40" easy. The fish got away from shane and broke my mainline. Was i dissapointed? Yes. But I wouldn't have lived it down if we threw that WILD steelhead on the beach. theres always more fish out there, is a picture that harms the fish really that important? The point is anyone who decides to go fish the Thompson should be educated enough to know that the fish comes first.

In the first post it say's the fish don't deserve internet reports and it can't handle it like the Vedder can. Are internet reports really necessary at all? Yes I have done it in the past. For the most part on rivers liek the vedder and stave that can handle the pressure. Although they can handle pressure, do the fish really deserve the pressure? Do they need the pressure? Probably not. However it is your choice whether or not you post internet reports. I used to do it also but as I grew as an individual and as an angler I learned that your really not doing the fish any favours either way. That's the end of my rant. Flame away

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
isn't as accessible as some other systems
It is very accessible. It is no secret. I do agree however that posting on the Internet might not be the best thing to do. Sure, it's a sign of the times and it's pretty difficult to not be proud of a fish you landed. When people do post, let's engage them in a conversation, educate them about why wild fish are special compared to hatchery streams. I am not sure about the photo that Birdman is referring to however. By the way, love this members discussion! :thumbup:

· Registered
1,702 Posts
The thompson is in some spots, very easy walking, nice sloping beach and shallow water, so its easy to land a fish because you have lots of room, so you have no reason to scratch or hurt the fish in any way, but down in the canyon it gets sketchy, sheer drop offs into deep water, and if your fishing those spots, dont drag the fish up onto the cliff for the photo, keep it in the water, take the pliers pop the hook and then revive it. the canyon ends about 1/2 way from lytton to spences bridge. Almost all the water above there is nice and there are nice beaches to chase/land ur fish. Please protect and take care of these fish.

A suggestion, neoprene waders, and wading cleats or atleast studded felt soles. And dont play these fish for an hour and tire them out completely and have them die in your hands, land the fish even when its green and then release it quickly. this might take heavier gear than normal as i was talking about before.

· Registered
58 Posts
I meant that it isn't accessible in the sense that it's a 3+ hour drive from vancouver, coupled with the fact that you need a separate classified waters stamp in addition to steelhead stamp (as mentioned previously) It's not like the 1.5 hour drive down to the vedder or other systems. In any case, yeah, why bother with internet reports, why bother with this site at all. I mean what's the point. Lets change the name to nofishingreportshere.com (sarcasm intended)

P.S just so we're clear this isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a little tongue in cheek. :)

· Registered
415 Posts
Bent Rod said:
It's nice to see most of the guys who are serious about steelheading have the sense to not post about rivers with low runs of wild steelhead, :beerchug:, to you guys and thanks for being humble enough to just go Steelheading and not have to bathe in internet glory.

A Thompson Steelhead laying on the bare rocks because some ass clown doesn't feel the need to wear waders pisses me of more than anything. I once tried to rejuvinate a 20 pound doe at Coopers that some guy had killed overplaying and not being able to land because he had no waders and wouldn't get in the water to land it.

You run the risk of putting these types of anglers on rivers they should graduate to with internet reports, at least consider that when posting about such spots.

My :2cents:
but it is alright to have pictures of thompson steelies on your website Rod as a guiding company... come on pot calling the kettle black...

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
I'll copy and paste from something I posted in another thread...

I'll say it's dissappointing to see the pics are gone...I for one enjoy viewing them, but I understand your decision tntmarine...

I too would hesitate to post thompson pics on the net, but in this section, where viewer privilege is limited, I would think it's less of an issue, but others obviously disagree.

I was up at the T over the weekend, and there were very few anglers on the water. We had our choice of several nice stretches of water, and didn't have any issues with crowding whatsoever.

Nevertheless, nice pics guys. I'm glad you shared them.

rib

· Registered
917 Posts
Fish Finder said:
We saw a gum boot clad guy jump in on some one yesterday. :p :naughty: Lets just say he didn't make any friends. Anyhow the bottom line for anyone wanting to venture up there for the first time, is these fish must stay in the water. And if you can afford to make the trip up, then you can afford to buy some waders. ::) If a picture is desired, only for a quick snap should it be lifted. However only after the picture taker is ready to take that shot. That protective slime is that fish's defence against the elements. Once it's rubbed off that opens the fish's skin to infection, and puts that fish at a higher risk for death after release. Respectfully my :2cents:

Finder
Fully agreed! But I'd like to add that no fish - even a spawned out Vedder chum, should be dragged out of the water if you intend to release it! Period!

· Registered
407 Posts
Those were some great pics. Pics or no pics great reports, which is what I believe this site was about. Anytime that pictures are posted within a trip report, it will always open the door for those who are critical of others ethics. I am okay with this, however when it takes the next step and posting of pictures is condemned because a stock is considered "sensitive" and those same folks who condemn are taking part in that said fishery, something stinks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.