BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please when posting videos from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Use the little Film-strip Icon above, and put your link in the popup.

1. Find the video you want to post. Supported videos include: YouTube, Hulu, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Metacafe, Google, Facebook, etc.

2. Copy the URL from the top of your web browser page.

3. When posting, click on the film strip icon.

You can find it here when using Quick Replay at the bottom of the page...

Or you can find it here when using Advanced Reply...

4. After you click on the film strip icon, a pop-up window will open. Paste the URL for the video you want to post there and then click "ok". The video will then be embedded into your post.

See, it's easy!

This will embed the video directly in to your post, and not take the readers away from the site.

Like this...

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Yes, we also need to tell those good folks at Pacific Angler that photos can be uploaded directly too, I hate being redirected to a website.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What I don't get is:-

If you are watching a Youtube video and you are on Youtube site.......how do you save the URL so you can pull it up later as a reference to posting?

You don't actually have to type the whole URL yourself into "insert video clip" panel do you?

I think I would know how to upload it if I had it.......but I don't know how to save the URL

How do you do that?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
What I don't get is:-

If you are watching a Youtube video and you are on Youtube site.......how do you save the URL so you can pull it up later as a reference to posting?

You don't actually have to type the whole URL yourself into "insert video clip" panel do you?

I think I would know how to upload it if I had it.......but I don't know how to save the URL

How do you do that?
Seafever, forgive me, perhaps I have misunderstood your question, but have you tried to copy and then paste said URL from the address bar as described in step 2?

If not, there is no need to save the URL per se, or type it all in manually. Nor is there any need to upload the file. The URL that you right click, copy and paste simply embeds the video here at BCFR rather than redirecting viewers to outside sites.

Please let us know if you are still having issues with this.

Thanks,

Rib

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Highlight the URL. Ctrl+C to copy Ctrl+V to paste. Simple as that. I never right click and copy and paste.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Old school is still the ticket on real computers.

I have to completely agree on this issue Further to this I add a little simple tip to easily keep track of links and text content. It saves an enormous amount of aggravation especially if you are writing something complicated...;-) Something which I do on a regular basis LOL

Open notepad on windows or gedit on linux or what ever the text editor is on the Mac KEEP IT OPEN and use the macros ctrl+c for windows or linux, command+c for mac and then focus to the text editor and use the macros ctrl+v for windows or linux or command+v for a mac. Once learned this is without a doubt many times faster than any other method where simple drag and drop will not work.

(a macro is simply the combination of two keys the plus here just indicates the combination not the add key(s))

That way you clear the clip board each time you save a link new link to text, but you do not lose the links and you can keep them in order and remember what they are. Because the current links are hidden on the clip board when you copy it and is only cleared one at a time as you add a new one.

This is also a great way to quote content from the good sources that are open to the net. But that is another matter that I will keep out of this thread.

There are ways to see what is on the clipboard and change the clipboard setting in most OSes but I will not go into the gory details as it involves a knowledge of where and how to change views and show hidden desktop files and settings. So I will keep it simple.

You can work with as many links as you desire in sequence and create a more effective non redirecting linked page on this forum and many others. You simply do the same thing by highlighting the chosen link for the sites and putting them in exactly as the flytechwarrior has indicated.

On Ipads and the like without a keyboard you are on your own, not my cup of tea. To freakin' hard to effectively do research and write anything decent or create content on them.

My brother is great at tying flys and building classical guitars but holy cow don't put him on a computer, I just spent two hours on the phone because his machine crashed (most likely a processor fan failure) and the backup machine I set up for him hadn't been booted in a over a year!

MERRY CHRISTMAS You Guys:peace:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts